Mage Vs Wiz

jestisp

Reaction score
Which will output more dps in group content. Mage/Pet or Wizard

Well Wiz will be straight up better DPS as a general rule of thumb.

The Pet for Stuns or off tanking etc is also nice tho.

If DPS is all you need go the Wiz, if you want a bit of utility etc as well, Mage I don't believe is tooo far behind...

Wiz for Burst DPS Mage for Sustained DPS. a well geared mage can sustain 3 to 4K DPS.

Well Im not very good at harder stuff, so my goal is to shorten fights as best as possible. So trying to increase over all dps.

Atm my group is

Sk
Shaman
Mage
(occasionally an enchanter friend)
Tank Merc
2 Cleric mercs

My sk is only 30k hps buffed 4400ish ac.....all but underfoot CA/CS....so a few mobs get on him he can be toast rather quickly. Looking to speed up how fast mobs die....Trying to also decide if I should do bard instead of shaman.

Well Im not very good at harder stuff, so my goal is to shorten fights as best as possible. So trying to increase over all dps.

Atm my group is

Sk
Shaman
Mage
(occasionally an enchanter friend)
Tank Merc
2 Cleric mercs

My sk is only 30k hps buffed 4400ish ac.....all but underfoot CA/CS....so a few mobs get on him he can be toast rather quickly. Looking to speed up how fast mobs die....Trying to also decide if I should do bard instead of shaman.

Keep the shaman, his heals help more than you think, and the buffs/debuffs are much more beneficial. If you're trying to do UF mobs, I would honestly suggest making/buying a cleric, merc's are great for sod, but they fail in UF. A real cleric will heal better than your 2 cleric mercs by far.

As for you're mage/wiz question, why not both? Mage with pet focus and pet aa's can tank UF mobs fairly well if your tank happens to go down. The dps and stun is also a large plus since nearly all UF mobs are stunnable, lowering the damage to the tank. A mages dps should be able to parse 4-5k+ sustained raid geared and 3-4k+ sustained group geared.

A wizard is best for dps, as well as they make it a ton easier to take down uf names. Raid geared wiz can sustain around 5-6k+ w/o much trouble, group geared around 4-5k. For UF and these names, a lot of them have ae's or just a lot of hp and the wizards ability to do huge burns in a 20s time make them just a breeze to take down.

So as your group make up, if you have the ability to run that many toons:
Sk
Shaman
Mage
Wizard
Drop the 2 merc's and add a real cleric
Room for 1 extra toon

Back like a year I made a mage for someone who already had a decked out wiz. The mage out DPSed the Wiz in group content constantly, unless he started to lay into the mobs right away with the wiz.

It comes down to how good you can hold aggro with your sk, wiz being able to go at it right away will out dps a mage, but will generate a lot more aggro.

I agree with the ditch the 2 cleric mercs and get a real cleric.

sk
shm
mag
clr
monk/zerker/rogue
wiz
friend(ench)

When friend plays kick the mage from group while the new wiz gets AAs

Since your SK is only at that gear level, the mage will be better than the wizard, simply because when the SK dies the mage pet can take up tanking.

My group has been similar - SK, Sham, DPSer, 1-2 mercs - and I've been up to start Underfoot with about the gear you have and am now fully geared up in T7 stuff and pushing in to T8.

Monk/zerker/rogue would make a better 10 second tank while you rez your sk then the mage pet. hit ripo + cast rez spam heal then take aggro back with sk.

Of those three classes, I would choose monk for the option to off tank. They have better defensive skills as well as abilities/epic to make them survive tanking longer, I.E. Mend, Epic, repo, and impen disc.

Atm Im still working SoF stuff to try and get the Shaman and mage gear, 3 mobs jumped me in Steam Factory and before I could much blink I was toast. I can box 3 toons thats pretty much it. I wont change out the Sk everyone else is changeable. Part of the problem is of course lack of AA

Sk 890aa
Shaman 400aa level 76
Mage 60aa level 75

Been trying to find something in SoF to grind out the AA while still getting some gear upgrades to the Shaman and Mage so that I can start SoD without to much trouble. Thinking of saving up the 12aa for the mage/sk bets to have pet affinity so that cougar hits them as well. That might make a much larger input for my dps, but not sure. Combos I have though of are

Sk,Shaman,Mage
Sk, Shaman, Wizard
Sk, Enchanter, Wizard
Sk, Bard, Wizard
SK, Bard, Mage

Also thinking about Necro for the never out of power option as the mage is almost always out of power.

All I really care about is being able to do group content using macs on the dps and utility toon and staying mostly on the tank toon.

Last edited:
I would suggest going, SK/Sham/Wizard then. If you haven't done it already, do the boomerang missions to get your toons some nonvisable gear. It is far superior to sof and sod group gear. 850hp withd decent ac for buyable gear. If you want to stick to sof for exp, there are a decent amount of camps in the mech guardian instance, gear isn't good but the xp is ok and the drops are sellable.

Another option for gear is buying TS gear for vis's. Depending on your current gear or amount of plat available, it might be a quick solution to get a few upgrades.

I'm kind of surprised how many of you guys that 6box don't use a bard. I've always thought mine was great attributable but perhaps I misjudge him hehe.

I'm kind of surprised how many of you guys that 6box don't use a bard. I've always thought mine was great attributable but perhaps I misjudge him hehe.

I think a bard is great for a 6box team.

That would probably be a better 6th then monk/zerk/rog but most wouldnt agree as they say they are no dps.

I do have a bard, but I wouldn't consider him a part of my "core" group, he is more or less just there to add a bit of dps and cc.

sk/clr/shm/brd/Misc/Misc Is what I ended up with after many years. I love warriors and they own sks but they cannt compete with AE aggro of the vilifiy line.

SK/Bard/Ranger/Cleric/(Shaman - sometimes)/misc was what I used. If I wasn't using the shaman I just popped 2 cleric mercs. I could kill everything up to Husk except for a named or two that weren't box-friendly (stupid 3k ds guy in brells temple comes to mind).

SK/Bard/Ranger/Cleric/(Shaman - sometimes)/misc was what I used. If I wasn't using the shaman I just popped 2 cleric mercs. I could kill everything up to Husk except for a named or two that weren't box-friendly (stupid 3k ds guy in brells temple comes to mind).

If you have an sk that named isn't too bad. Stay away from your group when you grab aggro ( it'll usually cast on aggro), bring back to camp, pop ht to keep aggro but do not attack on the sk. Use a couple burns and its over

So i take it you guys use the bard to pull/crowd control, or really good at pulling with the sk?

Do initial pulls with bard to split whatever camp you're doing (unless you're plucking ph'ers from across the zone/in areas that are cramped.... then you need to stay with bard), then pull with SK while rest of group is automated. I manually played the cleric in my box group, too. I wasn't comfortable letting a macro do it in UF and never spent the time to put one together that was effective.

I play my sk and have my other toons macro'd. My bard just sits in camp waiting for a pull. I usually pull 3-4 mobs in any t8 or lower zone tanking them find until bard gets them mezed, but I also have a decently geared sk to stay up on the initial brunt of 3-4 mobs beating on me, as well has having a real cleric that reacts faster and heals better than merc's.