is targeting still dangerous?

deez

Reaction score
i accidently right clicked a mob from map today, it was in range anyhow but is that still an issue?

thanks

w

i never knew targeting was dangerous i been doing it on all my toons for awhile now, so

deez, no worries. wh0re, it's not.

It's there (the ranges) 'just in case' in the future, but currently, it's of no issue.

htw

Deez if its ever a issue where they would question you about, you can target things across map if someone has mobs on extended target window you can target them from across the zone simple by clicking on the mob in the extended window. So there's still legit ways to target things without mq2 across zone.

i dont see how they could ever police targeting across a zone. as someone else said above, there are ways to do it legit. you could have targeted something close to you and then walked away from it for all they know.

The server knows where you are, and logs it. The server also knows what you have on target, what you have on xtarget, etc.

I'm not arguing that it would be a method they feel like monitoring, but as far as them being able to do it, there's no question.

htw

Hmm

The server knows where you are, and logs it. The server also knows what you have on target, what you have on xtarget, etc.

I'm not arguing that it would be a method they feel like monitoring, but as far as them being able to do it, there's no question.

htw
Hmm, well I guess that is the million dollar question everyone wants answered, is SoE checking logs close again or not?

htw
Hmm, well I guess that is the million dollar question everyone wants answered, is SoE checking logs close again or not?

They haven't since free to play was launched, it's too soon to tell though if they are still doing it. My guess would be yes, but we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

After being suspended for a week two months ago for a single warp, idk if i'll ever feel safe using any of that stuff again. Unless posts crop up here saying its been safe for X amount of time.

Im willing to bet that they stop with the suspensions some time down the road and things will be normal again in the MQ world, but who knows when that will be.

After being suspended for a week two months ago for a single warp, idk if i'll ever feel safe using any of that stuff again. Unless posts crop up here saying its been safe for X amount of time.

Im willing to bet that they stop with the suspensions some time down the road and things will be normal again in the MQ world, but who knows when that will be.

Unless they have developed a new method for auto investigating the logs for suspicious activity. I can't say anything about the EQ servers logging capabilities, but if they are anything like the Linux servers we had running our video monitoring servers @ Nielsen media research you can set ranges of acceptable changes in data and thresholds for where variations on that will alert you.

If for example you were to target something 10,000 units away from you and it's not present in table A (lets call that Xtarget), something like that would be almost a nonissue to monitor then give a list of these events to someone in charge or reviewing them. Unfortunately I think with the release of VoA they have put into place several of these filters for the server logs and that's how they are nabbing people who are warping.

It's not as if they couldn't do this before, but for whatever reason (maybe it required too much extra load on their servers, maybe they had no incentive to ban paying customers, who knows?) in December they brought down the hammer, and while I hope and pray warp comes back, I get the feeling that unless they just downright stop caring, something so easily detected (a rapid change in your position on your client in relation to where the server thinks you are) is probably not gonna be safe again.

Then again, I'll never underestimate the people around here, I know sometimes when I play at home on my mifi, I'll get some lag on my client, most the time it resets me to where the server thinks I am, but other times it will bounce me forward a good margin a micro second later, who knows, maybe we can find a way to exploit that "laggy connection" situation.

I'm beginning to wonder myself if the lag in game lately has anything to do with their detection crap. Instances not working at the drop of a hat at times. People lagging badly when they never lagged before and stuff like that. Crashing happening a lot etc.

I'm beginning to wonder myself if the lag in game lately has anything to do with their detection crap. Instances not working at the drop of a hat at times. People lagging badly when they never lagged before and stuff like that. Crashing happening a lot etc.

You would think something like log analysis could be extremely optimized to take advantage of existing technology, but without a peek into the data center SOE runs EQ out of, no way to be sure, but it's a reasonable hypothesis as any. I would also guess that they are not using nearly the quality of WAN connections that they used to (alot of business don't want the expense of maintaining their own fiber, so they will outsource, and the shared stuff isn't nearly as nice as the dedicated lines when it comes to latency).

OP, I hear in another thread people are slowly experimenting with piggyzone without getting booted into banville, maybe, just maybe we can get away with that again.

It's not warp, but I would still be grateful!