IPhone 5s finger print scan hacked. Legit?

riot

Reaction score
What do you guys think? The Apple fanboys seem to be saying it is fake or have the 'who cares? I have an iPhone!' mentality. The concept behind it is pretty basic and is used in all the spy movies (lol). So was Apple blowing smoke when they claimed their finger print reader was unhackable?

I'm saying yes. Everything that can be hacked is able to be hacked. From your home security system to electronic locks to the system on your car. To boast that something can't be hacked is beyond silly especially in this day and age. For every engineer who believes they are the smartest person alive and that they have created the most secure and unhackable item there are thousands of more clever and creative hackers foaming at the mouth just waiting for the chance to prove the engineer wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/tech/mobile/iphone-5s-hack/index.html

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Hacked isn't the right word for this though.

Security bypass method? That might be a better choice I guess.

A hack would imply that the software governing the reader was compromised. That's not what's happened here though.

The German whiz kids that found the way around it didn't hack the phone. They did what anyone can do if you watch enough espionage shows.

Photographing your fingerprint and copying it onto a plastic film isn't hacking. It's a bypass. Or a forgery. But didn't take any software knowhow, nor does it expose any vulnerability in the software.

Until they find a way to make MY phone work with YOUR fingerprint, they haven't hacked anything :p

Hacked isn't the right word for this though.

Security bypass method? That might be a better choice I guess.

A hack would imply that the software governing the reader was compromised. That's not what's happened here though.

The German whiz kids that found the way around it didn't hack the phone. They did what anyone can do if you watch enough espionage shows.

Photographing your fingerprint and copying it onto a plastic film isn't hacking. It's a bypass. Or a forgery. But didn't take any software knowhow, nor does it expose any vulnerability in the software.

Until they find a way to make MY phone work with YOUR fingerprint, they haven't hacked anything :p

Well.. if they have your phone.. then they would have your fingerprint. So if they can copy the fingerprint off the phone successfully and works to rescan... id say its a bust for the fingerprint scanner.

Well.. if they have your phone.. then they would have your fingerprint. So if they can copy the fingerprint off the phone successfully and works to rescan... id say its a bust for the fingerprint scanner.
The question wasn't whether the fingerprint scanned is a good idea or not. Or whether or not this one works exceptionally well or not

The question was if the SOFTWARE had been hacked

Using a copy of the fingerprint is not hacking the software. It's exploiting a loophole, to be sure. But its not a hack

hack 1 (hk)
v. hacked, hack·ing, hacks

b. To gain access to (a computer file or network) illegally or without authorization:

The term 'hack' works in this situation however it isn't the best word I'd use to describe it. There are so many variations to different words used to describe things today..'hacked' is just a headline grabber that makes people click on news articles.

I'm OK with my 5. I liked the upgrade at the time of the screen, but these OS updates are killing me man. If they ever release a decent Droid, I'm jumping back on that bandwagon. The second was the best in the series yet. First was well, first run. Third was all fucked up size wise, and the fourth had no removable battery. Sigh.

Just use a different finger for the reader and you will be fine. Everyone seems to want to use their index fingers, for what reason I dont know, but I can tell you, that if you use a pinky finger - there will be next to no prints from that finger on your phone.