Shellshock... are the "End TImes" near???

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
The Shellshock exploit in Linux/Unix. If you haven't heard about it yet you haven't visited a news site today. Yet another "11 on a scale of 1-10" security flaw in software being used by literally millions of computers all over the world.

This story is what journalists call a "standing head(line)", meaning you can just break out the last story you wrote on a similar topic (Heartbleed), change some words, ramp up the urgency and <boom> you have your article for the paper/website.

I'm only partly kidding about "End Times" and here's my point. I'm reading a pretty good apocalyptic thriller called One Second After (which I recommend, btw), which discusses the consequences of a EMP attack on the United States. This is that massive electric surge which would occur in the atmosphere as a "side effect" of exploding a nuke high up and supposedly would fry every electronic device within "line of sight" (however distant) of that explosion. In the book all electrical systems die instantly, planes crash, cars crash or stall, because every complex device contains hardware susceptible to such an attack.

What's interesting in the book the only automobiles which still run are ancient models restored by enthusiasts without any electronics in them whatsoever.

"End of Times" may seem far-fetched to some extent. I don't mean literally the return of the Anti-Christ and the final battle between "good" and "evil" or anything like that. What I mean is a gradual roll-back of our utter dependence on digital devices and the Internet.

If you doubt, consider this: PC World recently had an article advising small businesses what to do about PCI compliance issues involving their credit card processing machines. PCI compliance is the requirement that every business which processes credit cards electronically has to jump thru some very high hoops to prove that their hardware and internal systems meet high standards of security in how they handle customer data. I say HIGH because it's clear even companies like Home Depot, Target (AND SONY!) are unable to meet or maintain those standards.

What was PC World's advice for small businesses? They suggested going back to authorizing credit cards with phone lines instead of Internet---and even went further to suggest considering going back to the old "ka-ching!" swipe machines and hand-written paper copies of sales slips. Now isn't that an example of "throwing in the towel" when it comes to relying upon our new digital world to get better and better at taking care of all our needs??

I bet some of you are too young to even REMEMBER when the sales clerk used to put your card on top of a multi-part NCR ("No Carbon Required") form and imprint your info onto the form by "swiping" the machine over the card.

It's very very hard for someone in China or Russia to hack into a paper copy of a credit card transaction.

Ah, the good ole days... :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

lol

Papa Johns in Hawaii would use the cc swipe thing sometimes. It was humorous, but you're right... there are certain advantages.

EMP is real, though. It was discovered as an unexpected side effect of the nuke testing we did.

Chevy is releasing a car that broadcasts a 4G signal. Digitally connected is the path the world is heading and there are no signs of it slowing down anytime soon. Threat of a EMP or not, our world will continue to become more and more wireless and internet connected. The challenge to the developers of this new world, is surely to find a way to protect our most detrimental systems.

I would hope anyways.

Last edited:
I was kind of thinking along these lines the other day, so much is digital now that if we lost digital capability we would be in a world of hurt.

But then again, Im betting on a meteor blasting us into extinction here before long anyway so lets just keep rolling while we can. ;-)

I was kind of thinking along these lines the other day, so much is digital now that if we lost digital capability we would be in a world of hurt.

But then again, Im betting on a meteor blasting us into extinction here before long anyway so lets just keep rolling while we can. ;-)

We need a meteor to hit so we can start over. The world is full of to much hate and demographics.

Not sure what being "full of demographics" means but there's always been hate and even if the world was re-rolled there'd be hate almost from day one. Hell, Cain hated Abel, eh? Nature of mankind, methinks.

You want a universal catastrophe where the Big Bang recurs and the physics and biology underlying the new world is a Care Bear variant where "everybody loves everybody."

Just leave me out of it lol.

I do think, though, it's remarkable how technology just forges ahead, utterly ignoring predictable risks until they occur and then there's a mad scramble to fix it. Supposedly this Shellshock bug is 22 years old and has been known to some "insiders" but nobody worried about it... till now.

That's like having a ticking time bomb in the basement of your house and not worrying about it till it goes off.

Demographics lead to persecution and discrimination because people get labeled. I do not think it started that way but its how it ended up. Then creating a cycle of violence.

As for the care bear world? fuck that life isn't always easy. We just don't need to group everyone in a group. I don't care if you are what stat you fall under. Only one that matters is we bleed red.

Last edited:
Not sure what being "full of demographics" means but there's always been hate and even if the world was re-rolled there'd be hate almost from day one. Hell, Cain hated Abel, eh? Nature of mankind, methinks.

You want a universal catastrophe where the Big Bang recurs and the physics and biology underlying the new world is a Care Bear variant where "everybody loves everybody."

Just leave me out of it lol.

I do think, though, it's remarkable how technology just forges ahead, utterly ignoring predictable risks until they occur and then there's a mad scramble to fix it. Supposedly this Shellshock bug is 22 years old and has been known to some "insiders" but nobody worried about it... till now.

That's like having a ticking time bomb in the basement of your house and not worrying about it till it goes off.

That cain and abel line reminded me of radio raheem in do the right thing:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-oUPTr9LI[/ame]