Intarwebz problems

Krugerr

Maxxor Haxxor
Reaction score
Hey guys - We changed our router because the old one overheated to the point of damage.

Now, im clearly connected to the internet, im on MSN and Skype, i can view a wide range of websites. But i cannot view any SOE websites, and Everquest wont even patch. Pops up with that little box telling me a connection cannot be made.

Im at a loss of what to do, ISP says my connection is fine. And it appears to be, my Anti-Virus isnt blocking EQ, because ive been playing with it recently.

The weirdest thing, i was playing last night, and now waking up this morning, it isnt working.

Many thanks!

Just completed these in the order shown - alot of variance here.

Last edited:
As far as everquest patching, you may need to open some ports. Not sure about SOE websites though.

Go to a DOS prompt, and type in tracert everquest.com - see if it gets through the whole way.

Tracert fails. 'Unable to resolve target system name everquest.com'

And as for Everquest. I can now get to the Server screen, but once selecting a server, it gives me error 1017. Cannot connect to the Everquest Server.

So frustrating!

EditL NVM if you can't get to the site either.

Now the patcher wont even load. This is pissing annoying!

*Edit*

And Windows Diagnostics is telling me my DNS server is out... again.

Last edited:

type that into your browser.

Sounds like a DNS issue to me.

HTTP Status 404 - /index.vm

Giving me an error page :p

put this in as your DNS server(s), let me know if you need help doing that

should resolve the issue for now.

No go into windows, not sure which OS you are using.

But find your network settings, find the adapter, right click, properties, scroll down to TCP IP, click it, hit properties, DNS will be at the bottom, select manually enter DNS, and type in those numbers.

Last edited:
running Windows7 - and Your gonna have to point me in a direction. Properties doesnt actual open any variable options

Go to Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings.

I found that online, haing a tough time doing it from memory

Under adapter settings you should see one that shows as being active, and should be able to figure out which one is the network card that you are currently using.

Right click on that adapater, click on properties

there will be a little box with a scroll down box in the middle, scroll down until you see tcp/ip

click on that tcp ip, then click properties.

You will see 5 feilds, ignore the top 3, and above the bottom 2 you click the check box that says "Use the following DNS Server addresses"

then type those two numbers in there, hit ok then ok or whatever

then try it out.

put this in as your DNS server(s), let me know if you need help doing that

should resolve the issue for now.

OK done that - lemme reboot!

Last edited:
Rebooted - and now its working perfectly! Thanks mate - Should i leave my DNS set to that address permanently?

Uhh you can it doesn't really matter. I don't think those numbers ever change.

However whenever your ISP gets their DNS shit straight(assuming its on their end, which it probably is) you can take out those numbers and it works fine.

basically DNS is what converts a name (www.everquest.com) into an IP address, which is more useable. If the DNS is borked then your computer won't know how to talk to whatever isn't translating.

What you just did is just made your computer contact a DNS server hosted on the internet, that sit will tell your computer what the IP of www.everquest.com is. So you are gtg.

Wicked. Thanks mate, its weird though that i could aquire some websites but not others. I knew what DNS was, but couldnt see how it could interpret some websites, and others it refused to work. Unless there is cache somewhere? I had however cleared my DNS cache.

Who know? Anyways, it works, thanks for the replies mate :)

Maybe your ISP hosts multiple DNS servers and one of them is fubard, the one containing everquest.com.

My guess is eq.com is the only site you USE that you couldn't get to.

No problem sir!

Actually do you have a web interface for your router? Usually you can do something like http://192.168.1.1 or http//192.168.0.1 and it will bring up a console for the router. Take a look at any instructions you have for it. There's usually a DNS setting in that console that needs to be set also.

google has a convenient to memorize dns of 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 if anyone ever needs to spurt some DNS servers off the top of their head.