Impending Xbox purchase...

CapriiRecords

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I need to be educated. I haven't bought a console since like N64 a decade ago - everything confuses me now.

What am I looking for? Someone said be careful on Ebay - there are a bunch of banned(?) units for sale - so make sure I'm purchasing new.

Is there a difference between Xbox and Xbox 360 - what's the deal with the online thing?

General, mundane info is good - I know nothing.

360 is the newer console and while I don't know a lot about the Xbox's, I can tell you that there were a lot of systems banned for being modded to house/play pirate game copies.

So if you NEVER intend on playing online, might be worth getting a banned console as long as you get a real bargin.

If you get an xbox MAKE SURE it is the xbox 360, that is the newest version with the best graphics. I would NOT buy an xbox from ebay, I would go to a store and buy one. Xbox live is awesome, can play games like madden, call of duty and other games with other people from around the world, and its a great thing for if you have family that live in another state to play with. I live in texas and my brother is in colorado but every weekend we get on xbox live and get to play call of duty with some of our closest friends and we have a blast doing it.

I'd go with the Wii personally. But regardless of what you're getting, get it new from a store and make it the latest'ish one. However, for the 360, you really don't need the Super Harddrive one...there are three versions of the 360 out there. You'd prolly be fine with the no HD one or hte small HD one.

Yeah, just go to the store and buy a new one...

Also, check

blackfriday.info

They have a lot of information about the sales on black friday...I will be one of the jerk fools getting in line for shit :)

Have a Wii already - looking for something that is a little bit more traditional and varied in the offering of games.

It would be hooked up to a 57'' flat screen - so how big of a difference are the graphics in the HD one versus the non-HD one?

Also - I'm reading there's a 256MB one, and a 120GB one - those are huge differences. What is the storage used for? Do any of them have wireless? I saw there are wireless controllers, but everything else I was reading said it had an ethernet connection.

Graphics wise, I don't think there's a difference regardless of hard drive. Need a harddrive to save saved games

If you TV can do HD GET an xbox that is hd compatable it is a big difference. Also, I have a 10 GB one that works just fine for me, ive never heard them jumping from 256 mb to 120 gb lol.

And your question about wireless. There are Wireless adapters which connect to the xBox. However, for connection reasons, i would strongly suggest running an ethernet cable. Nothing more annoying than dropping connection mid raping some fucker with a shotgun ;)

Mine is not, I have one of the very first ones, like the super original 360. The newest ones it comes standard with but not the very first ones.

Hmm, alright. I bought mine about two years after release, wish I would have waited a few months for the Elite, which has HDMI output. Ah well, component isn't too bad.

Get the special edition...very nice...

Buy an HDMI cable, and you're good to go.

I'm not a console nut, so jump me if I'm wrong, because this may be "old info".

Last I looked, xbox 360 was 720p or 1080i on game video output, even with HDMI. Does not play hd dvds, you have to buy external HD dvd player (and that is HD, not blue ray).

PS3 is 1080p output, and has blue ray player.

I am not trying to start a ps3 vs xbox360 shot here, i am just wondering if that is still the case?

The PS3 also has a better processor, so can support overall better graphics at the same frame rates.

xbox360, to play online, requires xbox live, which is umm.. $50/yr I think?

ps3 uses ps network for online, which is included, i.e. no cost.

Again, just trying to get a few up to date facts myself, in case I ever get my daughter a new console... I could care less for any "fan boy" comments. ;)

Thanks.

htw

htw to answer your question. I own a PS3 and an Xbox. If a game comes out for both, i get the PS3 version because:

A.) Typically better framerates.
B.) Free online play
C.) Don't have to listen to the jet engine xbox 360 about to take off
D.)Typically better graphics.
E.) Seems to typically have more content exclusives.

My xbox is for the few exclusives worth a damn.

htw to answer your question. I own a PS3 and an Xbox. If a game comes out for both, i get the PS3 version because:

A.) Typically better framerates.
B.) Free online play
C.) Don't have to listen to the jet engine xbox 360 about to take off
D.)Typically better graphics.
E.) Seems to typically have more content exclusives.

My xbox is for the few exclusives worth a damn.
Thanks man, much appreciated!

htw

I'm still just waiting on Ed Mcmann to call with my $10,000,000 so i can buy one of these consoles!

Or

When i get my winnings from the UK lotto , i'll buy one then!

/bites his nails

I can't wait!!!
i'm so excited!!!

Arent all 360's HD?

yes you just have to buy the separate cables

to the OP Buy a 360 and get a cheapo 20 gig HD off ebay... when you are planning price don't forget 2 wireless controllers a min of 2 imo is NEEDED cords suck) you will also want rechargeable battery's for each wireless controller. (I got mine off Woot.com for $20 a pair came with charger and 2 battery's. you will also want the HDMI cables for your HDTV ( could also use composite cables but the reso isnt as good)

The 20 gig should be more than sufficante unless you end up downloading lots of content saved games take up so little space...

If you end up going with a regular xbox gimme a yell I have about 4 sitting in my basement that I am not using 2 are modded with tons of emulators / and burned games on the HD and the other 2 are stock. but if you have a choice I would go 360 fosho

I would get the arcade version and google the jasper chipset. When I was looking for one the general consensus was that was the best chipset and least susceptible to the RROD. The arcade version comes with 256mb build in. I bought a 120gb hard drive off ebay and added that afterwards for I think $70. Then I basically had an elite with a really good chipset. I also have a ps/3 (80gb backwards compatibility one) and honestly I don't play either one all that much. Games do tend to run better on the ps/3 though and also look much nicer on my 60" pioneer Kuro plasma tv.

eqisdead