Free Realms, Vanguard, Wizardry Online, and Clone War Adventures closing

According to twitter, VG has been running at a loss for a long time.
In reply to Paige Raine
John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 12m
@PaigeRaine It started out as a sub game. It didn't work. It didn't work as an F2P game. I'm just going to say it - it just didn't work.

Kinda says it all.

Edit:
Oh and I found this tweet interesting:
In reply to macewank
John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 16m
@macewank always appreciate the sentiment of those emu guys (at least the ones who don't charge.. the ones who do are a different story).

Last edited:
]Memnoch9299 4 points 17 hours ago

Ok I don't want to sound rude because I appreciate the fact that EQ is still going after all these years but at the same time it seems like SOE has forgotten what has got them to where they are. I think EQ, while getting some nice things this year deserves even more attention given to it. More zones, raids, items & such from CoTF & instead of the limited race/class combos, why not make all illusions all/all & charge some sort of reasonable SC for the ability to use all illusions that you have in game for example? Just seems like you're missing out on a source of revenue that might appeal to a broad spectrum.

perma-link

[–]j_smedley 15 points 17 hours ago

we feel the same way.. which is why we ok'ed a larger scoped expansion pack for next year. Don't worry, we know how important Everquest is to us!

Well, that's something...

I like the euphemism "sunsetting" which Smedley uses, instead of hard-edged verbs like "terminating", "killing", "shit-canning", "transferring to the digital circular file", etc.

"Sunsetting" is the term they use to describe old people in a nursing home when the evening approaches and they start to lose whatever intellectual "edge" they still retain. It's a recognized medical phenomenon.

Why not just be plain? Those games don't have the player support anymore so they're being CANCELLED. Be easier to just tell it like it is. If more people played Vanguard, the game might still be around. As far as I know there are no emus for VG so the diehards still playing are going to have to face the harsh cold reality that they need to find a new digital addiction.

I'm sure they'll manage!

I bought Vanguard when it first came out only to discover a buggy, half-finished "alpha-beta" version which displayed a ghost of potential never achieved. VG was premature at birth and the fact it lasted this long is something to be marveled at, methinks.

Last edited:
The changes to the station cash screwed me. I had 3 exempt accounts that are now flipped back to subscription. I still have another year free paid, and I did get about 10 years of free eq so I guess I shouldn't complain. They flagged them free in 2002 when a guide got into an argument with me and was less than pleasant. Been so long I even forgot what the issue was about but at the time I was on Vallon Zek and it was nice to have those accounts even though I currently don't play as much as I did before family and work obligations moved to the forefront.

This is actually good news for EQ players. Hopefully see more new and returning players, to increase server population. And lets hope they throw some of the devs from those teams over to EQ.

i saw a bit from the ama smed did that said eqs next expansion is already greenlit for a much more massive scope then they have done in awhile