Firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedMofo

Banned From KEQ Never EQ!
Reaction score
Ok this is driving me nuts. I have a character that I have been playing for about 5 days or so maybe less, and the other night I went through the Guild Hall Portal to Lavastorm and crashed. I tried to log back on but that character is stuck. I petitioned on another character on that SAME account and he was moved to POK. I tried again to log on. No luck, just sits there after character selected. So I wait 6 hours for the "return home" thing to pop, and click it, but he still hangs. I go to the "stuck channel" in chat and they move him yet again to PoK, but of course the same result. I called Tech Support today and they tell me it is my Firewall. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? I still can't seem to log him on at all, and I find it strange that after a year and a half of being behind the same firewall this happens all the sudden.

Nope, its never happened to me.

Just for shits'n'grins try resetting your router to default settings and setting back up any configs u may have done from scratch. See if that helps. I have seen hung routers do some of the weirdest crap you could think of.

-Drak

P.S.
check for any firmware updates too.

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried it without MQ2 loaded? I have that same problem with a bad plugin. I can get to character select and it hangs and will never log into the server. I unloaded MQ2 and it works fine. Although it was for every character on the account.

Is it just that account or all accounts? I would find it very unlikely it's a firewall issue if you can connect via other accounts.. And you were able to log in just fine with another character? Maybe an INI issue? Try renaming your characters config files. (Character_server.ini, UI_Character_server.ini, eqclient.ini, etc).. My guide account couldn't log in (same issue) due to a bad UI_Character_server.ini file..

Psycotic said:
Probably a stupid question, but have you tried it without MQ2 loaded? I have that same problem with a bad plugin. I can get to character select and it hangs and will never log into the server. I unloaded MQ2 and it works fine. Although it was for every character on the account.

Is it just that account or all accounts? I would find it very unlikely it's a firewall issue if you can connect via other accounts.. And you were able to log in just fine with another character? Maybe an INI issue? Try renaming your characters config files. (Character_server.ini, UI_Character_server.ini, eqclient.ini, etc).. My guide account couldn't log in (same issue) due to a bad UI_Character_server.ini file..

I have tried everything. Deleted UI and INI file for this character, it is not an MQ issue, I tried loading it with just EQ and get the same results. I can log in ANY other character and even zone them into the SAME exact ZONE that the locked one is in, and still I can't get this guy in. Would you like to try it for me ? I trust you. PM me and maybe you can try it for me. I have a feeling he needs to have his emails wiped (I never deleted those annoying ones each level), and maybe he is encumbered?

Try this to see if it is indeed the router. Put your system on a DMZ then tryt to zone. If you do not crash then its your firewall,if you crash its not your firewll. A dmz will leave your system wide open to the internet.

Wragusa said:
Try this to see if it is indeed the router. Put your system on a DMZ then tryt to zone. If you do not crash then its your firewall,if you crash its not your firewll. A dmz will leave your system wide open to the internet.

I will try it when I get home. But I can confirm this problem in 2 separate locations now. At work and at home, both Firewalled with Symantec 320 gateways. I think if I disable NAT it might work, but would prefer to do that at home and not at work :p

Used /zone once on a old account and my toon got stuck. After sending a petition 4 times and speaking to Tech online, a GM in game had to trasffer my toon to his account, get him unstuck, then put it back on my account. It was odd to see it done, but was on my alt and my friend sent me a tell (who knew about this), dude...do /who all *name*. There i was online with GM tag next to my name. Anyway, about a week later I was banned. Guess they looked into that account and saw something was up when doing /zone. Took place a few months ago.

Goodluck

Delete your maps and then try. Sounds like you have a corrupted map file. This is happening to people alot lately.

Have you let someone else try to log the character online? If someone else can log on but not you chances are its your maps.

Pepper said:
Delete your maps and then try. Sounds like you have a corrupted map file. This is happening to people alot lately.

Have you let someone else try to log the character online? If someone else can log on but not you chances are its your maps.

Yeah but my maps are corrupted on 3 different computers? I just had Psyc log him in and it worked. So I need to figure out what on my side is blocking. I am going to try again, and then reinstall EQ and also check my firewall again.

Did you even try deleting your maps at all or just asking questions? Please try deleteing your maps before you do a complete reinstall. Your exact same problem just happen to a guildy of mine not 1 month ago. The issue was corrupted map files. Can it happen on 3 comps? I dont know not likely, but if your gonna have to do a complete reinstall of EQ atleast check your maps before you waste your time doing so.

When's the last time you were able to log him in? Maybe try sorting all the files in your EQ directory by date and deleting just the files since that date and re-patch.

Then again, it could still be your router, but it's just funny that it's just that one toon.

Well I am 100% sure it is the Symantec Gateway 320, but that is also acting as my router so the only choice I have is to figure out how to disable it. Is anyone familiar with what settings I would need to change on this to get it to work?

you could put your system on its DMZ. Also on sonys webpage you can find a list of what ports you need to open.

Wragusa said:
you could put your system on its DMZ. Also on sonys webpage you can find a list of what ports you need to open.

I think I can simply swap routers. I have an old D-Link Ethernet Router and I also ordered a Linksys in case that one fails, but I believe with Comcast I need to "Hard Code" in my Mac address to make it work. This Symantec Gateway 320 is VERY screwed up. It has a NAT disable click, which should be there same as DMZ or at least it gives that impression. I click it and lose internet connection totally. Yes I can appreciate the security, but at what cost? I have tried openning ports, or at least I think I am openning them. This thing is a monster and has menus burried under menus. It has an area also to set a certain computer to "open" -- I guess more like DMZ, but it still seems to process rules, or block it any way.

I have actually traced cazicthule.everquest.com to 199.108.3.30 and can see in the logs when it gets there it uses port 9000, and it allows that, then when it gets to an actual server it switches to 199.108.3.36, and it thinks there is a PORT SCAN. I have looked at it and gone nuts trying to disable it, or allow what it thinks is a port scan to happen.

My set up is massive to start with. This whole network stretches from the main house where my friend lives, to the back house where I live (No my name is not Kato Caelin), to a computer room that used to be a garage, so there are several hubs as well. There are generally 4 computers on all the time.

why do you need a router to begin with? are you running dsl, cable or dialup? these things matter too.

Darg said:
why do you need a router to begin with? are you running dsl, cable or dialup? these things matter too.

Cable, and I need the router since I have so many computers running that share the line.

And I suspect that you being the networking genius you are, have in fact assigned an IP to each computer?

I dont use a router for my 3 box setup, I have my cable going into my main box then I have ether-net cards that connect from pc to pc.....is a lot more stable for me. Routers suck nuts.

Darg said:
And I suspect that you being the networking genius you are, have in fact assigned an IP to each computer?

I dont use a router for my 3 box setup, I have my cable going into my main box then I have ether-net cards that connect from pc to pc.....is a lot more stable for me. Routers suck nuts.

Actually the router automatically does that. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to set that part up, but you do to be able to have it stop blocking EQ from running.

My advice would be to just delete the lavastorm zone. Do a thorough scan and have it redownload. I had the same sort of problem with West Karana, with only 1 character and this fixed it after 6 months of avoiding West Karana.

Status
Not open for further replies.