EQ from a flash drive?

jjmanfdl

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Heyas all...

So lately I've been trying to think of ways to play eq at work and the only solutions I can come up with are that I remote desktop, I buy a laptop and bring it in, or I play on my computer at work.

Now with flash drives becoming large enough to put eq onto them, would that be an effective solution? Anyone have any experience with this or that has tried it, and how well it worked? Also, since I am no IT person, I was also curious about how that would be logged on the router/server and if they could see/tell I was doing online gaming at work. Guess I am kinda paranoid, but rather not get caught for anything as I have a lot of freedom.

My net at work is not very restricted and have yet to find a website that I have not been allowed to go to. I also have admin access to our network and can change somethings if need be but rather not have to.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Wouldn't you still need to download eq and install it on a flashdrive? if so it's pointless, the patches will take hours. I say download it, delete the desktop crap, rename the folder something no one would wanna look in and ahve at it :p

Wouldn't you still need to download eq and install it on a flashdrive? if so it's pointless, the patches will take hours. I say download it, delete the desktop crap, rename the folder something no one would wanna look in and ahve at it :p

I don't plan on downloading/patching eq onto the flash drive at work. I plan on patching at home and just copying my eq/mq directory onto it and just bring it with to work to play from.

At my work all the USB ports are disabled. We rule.

You can run EQ from a flash drive and you can even redirect the log file to go on to the HD. There are a few threads about it on both the EQ and EQ2 forums.

All you really gotta do if you've got it on your PC already is just to copy and paste. Most PCs have dx9 or 10 on them so you should be ok without having to worry about that.

If you run it from the flash drive just make sure you are running eqgame.exe with the patch bypass flag set. I don't remember it offhand, I think it may be -patchme or something to that effect. You might have to create a shortcut on the flash drive to it to add the flag to the shortcut.

If you run everquest.exe it's going to want to install station launcher to c:\prgoram files, and even if you install that to your flash drive instead, there will still be registry entries on your work computer for station launcher to tell it where to look for it.

As for the router, it really depends on what your work is tracking. It would not be very difficult for them to log it and figure out that the IP address your computer is communicating with is an EQ game server IP address if they really dig into it. It's not going to jump out and say Everquest in a log on the router anywhere, but will have the actual IPs that the data is being sent to (and your computers local IP for return nat).

Bottom line, if you don't want to get caught playing it at work on their network, I'd recommend getting a laptop, a broadband card, and have a way to quickly disable the display on the laptop (my laptop has a convenient display off button), oh and of course run with the sound muted or use ear phones :)

Last edited:
If you run it from the flash drive just make sure you are running eqgame.exe with the patch bypass flag set. I don't remember it offhand, I think it may be -patchme or something to that effect. You might have to create a shortcut on the flash drive to it to add the flag to the shortcut.

If you run everquest.exe it's going to want to install station launcher to c:\prgoram files, and even if you install that to your flash drive instead, there will still be registry entries on your work computer for station launcher to tell it where to look for it.

As for the router, it really depends on what your work is tracking. It would not be very difficult for them to log it and figure out that the IP address your computer is communicating with is an EQ game server IP address if they really dig into it. It's not going to jump out and say Everquest in a log on the router anywhere, but will have the actual IPs that the data is being sent to (and your computers local IP for return nat).

Bottom line, if you don't want to get caught playing it at work on their network, I'd recommend getting a laptop, a broadband card, and have a way to quickly disable the display on the laptop (my laptop has a convenient display off button), oh and of course run with the sound muted or use ear phones :)

Thanks for the info. For a while I had been using my roomates laptop and tethered my iphone to it for net. While not the fastest, I was still able to be in game with a 160-225 ping. But since I don't have access to the laptop any more, I really didn't want to spend the $4-500 on something I will only use at work.

As for the sound and display, that's something I'm not too worried about. I work alone in my area and people have to open a squeaky door and come upstairs to get to me, which is a rare occasion in itself, so I do have time to mute and switch displays.