E5 2697V2, 2690V2 and I7 4960X for multiple box EQ

KingArthur

AutoBots
Reaction score
Hey, I recently have access to all these 3 CPU to build a new P570wm3 system for boxing EQ.

My other thing will be 32GB DDR3 1866, 880M SLI, 250G Samsung SSDx2 Raid0, but I've been really struggling on choosing the CPU.

First is 2697V2, 12cores, 2.7G frequency, 3.5G turbo frequency. 30MB L3 Cache.

Second is 2690V2, 10cores, 3.0G frequency, 3.6G turbo frequency. 25MB L3 Cache,

Third is I7 4960X, 6cores, 3.6G frequency, 4.0G turbo frequency. 15MB L3 Cache.

I've heard L3 Cache would help a lot when you box say more than 12 in EQ, but I also think 2697v2 would lose to 4960x in many 3D games due to the low frequency.

Any idea/suggestion/experiences would be welcome and appreciated!
KA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming price isn't an issue, I would think the 12 core one is the one you want. That would be 24 threads, so you could load 24 accounts, maybe more. The issue you might face at that point is your Ram as well as you gfx ram throttling you back.

EDIT: Also, not sure if this will be on par with a regular desktop build. Laptops never seem to give the same benchmarks as if you built a regular pc.

Last edited:
For EQ you want #1 RAM , #2 Real cores , #3 GPU.

I've run 9 on my AMD 8350 "8 core" with 16 GB of ram and it still had head room. ( if you give me some accounts I'll see how far I can push it :cool: )

Personally I'd go with two machines. One a high frequency I7 quad core that can run 6-12 and the high core count work horse that you run the other 6-18 on.

i had an old guildy that boxed 12 on a duel core with everything turned off and no issues hell i could run 14 with everything on with a quad core amd nvidia 260 and 16 gigs of ram no issues

With 32 gb of ram, i7-2700k i'm able to load about 14-15 accounts up, an box pretty well. You will be able to load 24 flawlessly I would think with the 12 core and 32 gb of ram. But the issue like I said is going to be this is a laptop, I have no clue how well it work with laptop hardware.

Also, there is a memory leak in EQ so over time and after zoning multiple times a few of your accounts will start crashing, but that takes a few days of constantly logged in for that to happen.

i had an old guildy that boxed 12 on a duel core with everything turned off and no issues hell i could run 14 with everything on with a quad core amd nvidia 260 and 16 gigs of ram no issues

what year is the question.

If its going in a "laptop" -> portable workstation I'd worry about heat more than anything. Look for cool running hardware because nearly every laptop I've had die was from poor ventilation.

Great, Thx a lot guys. I'm going with 2697v2 prolly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk