DVD/CD Disc Drive Issue

Sum1

Lifetimer
Reaction score
This problem is making me want to gouge my fucking eyes out. I've spent hours and hours trying to fix it, and have found nothing really worthwhile online. I'm coming here in the outside chance someone else may have experienced something similar.

Basically, my Windows 7 laptop will no longer allow me to play dvd/cds (burned or store bought). The drive shows up in My Computer, is enabled, bios look good, etc, etc, but if I put a disc in it never shows up with the disc name in My Computer, and if I double click the disc drive I get a "please insert disc" error and the drive door pops open. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and (for what it's worth) I don't think its a hardware issue because after I sent my computer off to Samsung for this same repair it came back completely reformatted the disc drive worked for a hot second. Then I started getting rid of some of the bloat ware in here (bought it at best buy... big fucking mistake) again, and it shut down.

Here's what I've done or tried so far:
- Uninstall, reinstall the drive
- Updated the drivers
- Updated dvd/cd drive firmware
- Ran Microsoft's "Fix it" utility
- Cleaned the lenses/laser
- Remapped the drive to a different letter/path
- Checked registry to ensure filters weren't an issue (the upper and lower)
- Restored the laptop back to just after I received it back from the Samsung repair people (didn't work)
- Undid the restore
- Checked BIOS (I'm by no means BIOS-savvy, but it appeared that everything was in line with what folks were saying it should be)

And probably a few other things I'm forgetting. This shit is driving me crazy. I just started an online grad class and can't really feasibly send my computer back right now.

Anyone experience anything similar or know of some super magical solution?

*edit*
Forgive me for being an assclown and not including any info on the computer

Windows 7 Home Premium
Samsung Electronics
Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @2.00GHz
6.00 GB RAM
64-bit OS
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
TSSTcorp DVDWBD TS-LB23A ATA Device

Last edited:
I've had a dvd/cdrom drive go bad in my laptop before. solution was to stop using it, heh.

I don't think it's hardware related because immediately after it came back from the Samsung repair people it would allow me to play a DVD/CD with data on it. I then took it home that night and uninstalled some bloatware (Norton Anti-Virus, Samsung Recovery Solution 5, etc, etc, etc), and now its back to not working. I did a system restore to the point right after I uninstalled Norton and the drive still didn't work.

hope it helps

can try .

Check if the Group Policy Setting has been disabled for the Autoplay feature.

Note: Changing Group Policy Setting applies to only Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows Enterprise editions.

1. Click Start and in the Search box, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
Now browse to Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Autoplay Policies\ Turn off Autoplay.

2. To Enable:
Change the value of Turn off Autoplay to Disabled.

Note: This will enable the Autoplay feature.

Last edited:
It's not the autoplay that's messed up, as I've tried to double click the cd/dvd drive under My Computer and the same error (Please Insert A Disc).

Yea, if I double click on the disc drive from My Computer the disc automatically ejects (well, the slide opens) and I get a dialogue box that says "Please Insert a Disc" ... even if there's already one in there. Or, if I desire, I can eject it the old fashioned way by right clicking the disc drive in My Computer and selecting "eject."

Even though you feel it's not a hardware issue, I'm almost positive that the drive is dead. It may have worked when you got it home, but you wouldn't know if the drive was on it's way out.

Do you have another computer that you could hook up the burner too? Do you have an extra CD/DVD drive that you can swap out to ensure the motherboard isn't the issue? If the new drive that you added doesn't work, then it would seem the motherboard / connector maybe the issue. ( you could also take the burner in question, and put it in the other PC, if you have a spare to see if thee xact situation, reoccurs.

If the swapped drive does end up working, then forsure it's the hardware. It could be the optical sensor or maybe a pin could be broken? Have you looked at the cables to ensure there is no small holes or rips in the cabling?

Do you know also if the drive is the exact same drive you recieved back from samsung? (take this with a grain of salt..) I have heard of some companys swapping out pieces from computers, and not notifiying the client. In the cases that I've heard/read about, the persons would take out good components and add in crap.
Not suggesting that you were ripped off or anything, but it's always good to ensure the parts you sent out, come back, unless they added new hardware to replace something broken.

I'm doing some research for a friends computer, so I'll also see if I can scrape together some more information related to this issue, I'll pass it your way.

Sorry though you have had the issue, I know it can bea major PITA.

p.s: I appologize in advance if I'm not making too much sense as I haven't aslept all night and just arrived home from over night treatment.

Last edited:
Nope, its the same. I keep seeing the same "solutions" across tech websites and the such. I got this reply from the official microsoft forums today:

Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to boot with Safe Mode first to check if it works.

If issue persists, try set BIOS to boot with DVD, then reboot PC for test.

The issue may related with the DVD Rom, you’d better contact manufacturer for further check.

Regards,

Leo Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

We'll see if that matters. I suspect it won't.

Like I stated in the above post, I believe a:) it's the drive b) possibley a connector pin or cable is broken or bent.

As an IT tech, we have come across issues like this before and it always ended up being the drive/optical sesnor.

That's basically the only reason why I asked if you were able to test the drive in question in another PC and or if you had another drive to swap out and test

I'm on travel (for the better part of the last year) and don't have easy access to another computer to test the drive. I did, however, talk to samsung again and they want me to send it back in for another shot at repair. I may try to do that, but its going to be rough timing my grad class stuff around it.