Do "good" bards still use melody?

Morx

Reaction score
So the idea of a "good" bard... twists 4 songs while meleeing, chain pulls for a group, doesn't just sit afk with melody going, uses charm smartly, mezzes adds, etc etc.

I think we've all seen what a good bard can do.

My question is, does melody still play a part? I guess to each their own, but to the bards out there, when do you use melody? Only situation I can see, is after you pull, before you go back out to pull again, you pop melody to get some songs going for combat, unless there are mezzes to be done, and then I don't really see it being used at all. Too much other stuff going on, to just melody it all up?

Also was curious, if there was any use to Mq2Twist other than within a bard macro? Can't really see one with /melody, if playing a bard manually.

Thanks for the conversation!

If you have a bard pulling rarely should you ever really NEED to mez, then again I do not think a bard should pull unless its a must. They give to much to the group while around the group to be running of for 4-15 seconds every couple of seconds. Unless you bring several and mez. Then you are still not really adding a whole lot to the group as you are only really doing 2/3 songs + mez.

bards are best for afk assisting doing basic melee with twist/melody on. Even picking up a mez now and again if you pull 3+

So JJ, you'd say that for the most part, bards have transitioned away from pulling, since the PoP+ times when they first got Fading Memories, and because of how good their songs are, especially if no enchanter in the group, it's better for them to just chill out in the group?

I rarely if ever see bards doing the pulling anymore. Groups, raids, whatever. In a raid you get an FD class to do it, in a group usually the same, mostly for the reasons JJ described.

And yeah, I use melody. I just have a melody hotkey that includes AE mez.

Good point. On TLP servers, I see bards pull quite a bit, but it may just be the "era" that we're in thats causing that. haha

Good point. On TLP servers, I see bards pull quite a bit, but it may just be the "era" that we're in thats causing that. haha

My guess is because Bard lull is powerful during those levels. At least, that's my hazy memory of it.

My guess is because Bard lull is powerful during those levels. At least, that's my hazy memory of it.

Because most people dont know how to pull as a monk. and bard is powerfull along with Rangers/Druids harmony pulling

If a bard knows what he or she is doing, and has Sionachie's Creshendo (sp.) the group really wont lose the songs for more than a few seconds, unless you're doing stupidly long pulls, and even then, running with Selo's it isn't going to be very long before you're within like 250 units of the group... also run melody as often as you can, dont just decide, " hey im going to go pull so, step 1, Melody off, step 2, move to target. " fuck that just run away with melody still running soon as you find your target do what you have to. If it single hit it with BB, then run back to the group with no interruption of melody, and if you have to do something extra, oh well pause the melody and mez / lull w/e and get melody back up~ anyways thats my 2cp

Bards are kick ass pullers, run in the middle of a bunch of mobs, AE mezz BB one and run your ass back!

Cake walk /like a boss

Like a Boss! haha

I assume at some point before you get back you pop FM to make sure when mez wears off they don't come beaming for ya?

I like to keep things interesting, i wait to see if the mezz blur effect happened, if not THEN i fade...once again like a boss!

You realize they dont get Fade for another like 6+ months?

I didn't even know they had melody in the game. When I run mq'less and just go with ISBoxer my shitty bard has been standing there singing one song. And pulling aggro with it

I was responding to his post, in which I assumed he was talking about non TLP servers, and his methods on Live servers of how he pulls.

Not everyone is a moron JJ, andI fully realize that the TLP servers don't have AAs yet. Thanks.

I was responding to his post, in which I assumed he was talking about non TLP servers, and his methods on Live servers of how he pulls.

Not everyone is a moron JJ, andI fully realize that the TLP servers don't have AAs yet. Thanks.

Pff was shit talking smarty not you!

Ha damn, we all just being assholes today! My bad.

Got full Rubicite on my new bard... he looks so damn good. <3 old world models.

I also assumed it was a non TLP server.

Frankly, if your bard isn't pulling he's wasting his time and yours. In most situations a bard will be the best puller you have available, and when in camp you can melody all you want. I've even taken to pulling doubles and just tanking one while my tank friend tanks the main mob... don't even bother with mezzes half the time. If mezz is called for its a simple matter to pop the extended song duration aa and throw an ae mezz in. With the song duration mod it lasts longer than the refresh on the song, so it's chainable (up to 6 mobs at once). Easy and repeatable (lasts 5 minutes, 10 or 15 min refresh iirc).

I have a Bard and a Monk and I always pull with the Bard, mainly because its stupid easy. Monk takes alot of finesse on complex splits. With Bard paci, mez, and instant refresh fade its retarded easy to pull.

btw, what is this "melody" you speak of?

EQ version of Twist. It breaks if stunned or missed notes but other then that it can twist 4 songs pretty decent