COTF Worth It?

McNukkah

Reaction score
Just wanted to hear some of you all weigh in on whether you think that CotF is worth its tag price.

I know this is only "stage one" of the multilayered release, but using this as a basis for things to come with the next release, what do you think so far?

I've only had a chance to run around, haven't murdered anything or tried the group missions.

My thoughts:
1.) The AA are stupid, so far. Increased ranks of stuff (sure they make the toon better, but I didn't notice anything *new* at all).
2.) Spells--eh. Nothing amazing...mage's nuke, bard's DS song...pally aggro/heal
3.) Rewards (claim stuff). Nothing of note. Coolest thing I've seen so far is the item that summons the stat tea....and I had to use SC to get that so doesn't count. I'm so tired of getting pointless familiars / paintings. The familiars that don't add any stats, what is the point? Paintings...just annoy me as a "reward." Sure, decorate your shit with paintings, ok, but it just seems like an empty "gift." Mounts as well...we get like 1 a week, or it seems like that. Wish they'd go back to making really cool mounts rather than just throwing a saddle on fucking *everything* (giggity). If we're doing that, at least make it humorous. A gnome mount that is ogre only...

Those are my first 2cp. I'm excited to try out this new group thing (LDON revamped). Has anyone tried them? What'd you think?

I know it has only been a few hours out, but if you're like me and you're thinking, "7 accounts times 39.98..."

Just wanted some opinions...the good, the bad, the ugly.

Last edited:
Hey, I got a BIND AFFINITY aa! No need to go to the pain in the ass of finding the spell in my book and memming it.

That's worth the $40 alone! ;)

All kidding aside, from what I've seen so far, this is one expansion which can be easily avoided, since it has no level cap increase, unless you're in a raiding guild and they wanna raid the new content.

And people whine and bitch and moan when an expansion has a level cap increase, lol. Wonder if they wish there was one now, so that there was something to do.

I bought it on 6 of my accounts. So far i've only checked out couple zones, the bixie one which blows and the Karana one which is super laggy for me for some reason. They (SOE) also totally hosed the mouse look/sensitivity which is pissing me off to no end. It's set at 4% sensitivity and it still rotates at like 100 miles per hour. Drives me nuts. They always gotta try to "fix" something that's not broken. Honestly i wish i would have saved my money.

Last edited:
They gave it to necros prison style, no lube (Deathbloom nerf). Then they held them down and let a friend have a go as well (Dot crit +damage "fix"). On the way out, they whispered they'd be back in a week or two (upcoming necro epic nerf). Pretty sure I'm not buying the expansion.

Only good thing I can say about it so far is, its tier 4 RoF quality gear thats NOT prestige with slightly better heroics and foci, bad thing is its no drop gear, so you can't just buy it and required level 100.

They gave it to necros prison style, no lube (Deathbloom nerf). Then they held them down and let a friend have a go as well (Dot crit +damage "fix"). On the way out, they whispered they'd be back in a week or two (upcoming necro epic nerf). Pretty sure I'm not buying the expansion.

Necros got this treatment whether or not they bought the xpac so this isn't an argument against buying it, unless you consider it "revenge" against Sony.

Every class gets nerfed from time to time, recently happened to mages and wizards got hit this time around as well. Almost always a nerf means the class was overpowered and it's rare that Sony thought that and rational trying-to-be-impartial players didn't also agree.

I don't play a high-level necro but I do play a high-level mage and, yeah, our pets were pretty over-powered, considering I could put my warrior tank on the shelf and just use the pet for a lot of encounters. I didn't like that nerf either but realistically it was due for game balance and to keep player tanks from becoming disposable.

The complaint I can usually stand behind is that Sony tends to OVER-nerf in cases like this. Has happened time and time again.

Last edited:
So far it's been okay, the gear is good and the named in zone aren't impossible for a boxer. There isn't a whole lot to the expansion, but SOE need to pay the bills so I don't mind having bought 4 expansions for my 4 gold accounts. It's my after-the-kids-are-asleep pastime so I don't mind shelling out for it.

I think they are pushing the limit of what they can do with the less and less people assigned to everquest. I want to keep playing so, everyone, buy the expansion. It's great!

Does anyone know what the new armor is or was supposed to be? The supposed player made items? I haven't seen any sign of that in there yet.

So far it's been okay, the gear is good and the named in zone aren't impossible for a boxer. There isn't a whole lot to the expansion, but SOE need to pay the bills so I don't mind having bought 4 expansions for my 4 gold accounts. It's my after-the-kids-are-asleep pastime so I don't mind shelling out for it.

I think they are pushing the limit of what they can do with the less and less people assigned to everquest. I want to keep playing so, everyone, buy the expansion. It's great!

This is true. With less and less staff SOE is going to be less innovative with EQ until EQ Next flops and they realize that their bread and butter original EQ is what they should have remained loyal to all along.

I have no idea why they keep creating new games with the EQ title. It seems like bad marketing to me.

That aside, so far I like the new expansion. It's challenging and fun from what I have seen. I only activated 3 accounts and will sell off a few accounts that I don't plan on activating, especially since mercs can join in.

They said they were saving the "good" aa for the next part of the release.
This is supposed to be nothing but general aas.
Seemed stupid to me to just offer folks 1500-2000aa and have nothing really worth buying.

I have to agree the spells are lackluster.
There was one gem for Shaman the new rain heal is pretty nice.

What I found most disturbing to me is there is supposedly only 2 tiers of gear being released.
So despite how many times they bring out more content there is just supposed to be tier 1 droppable gear and tier 2 no drop gear.

The thing that annoys me the most about the claims is they aren't all 999 (Not this expansion in particular but in general).
I really hate having to choose which char gets what when I have some accounts with multiple chars I play. The least they could do is make those items heirloom.

Over all though I like the missions so far which I really couldn't say about the last 2 expansions.

Definitely should be heirloom.

I'd like to know more about the player-made armor/weapons and anything about new tradeskill recipes. I've had no luck finding that stuff yet. I do some some people looking to buy Ethermere Essence for as much as 400kpp each so they must know something I don't know about the use of such a new tradeskill item.

Necros got this treatment whether or not they bought the xpac so this isn't an argument against buying it, unless you consider it "revenge" against Sony.

Every class gets nerfed from time to time, recently happened to mages and wizards got hit this time around as well. Almost always a nerf means the class was overpowered and it's rare that Sony thought that and rational trying-to-be-impartial players didn't also agree.

I don't play a high-level necro but I do play a high-level mage and, yeah, our pets were pretty over-powered, considering I could put my warrior tank on the shelf and just use the pet for a lot of encounters. I didn't like that nerf either but realistically it was due for game balance and to keep player tanks from becoming disposable.

The complaint I can usually stand behind is that Sony tends to OVER-nerf in cases like this. Has happened time and time again.

I am not feeling too sorry for Necros, I play a wizard, and was getting a little frustrated, I'm blowing my entire bar of mana trying to keep up in the past, while the necro is doing the like DPS having used 5% of their mana bar, that is bullshit and not balanced, hope this changed. :)

Sorry Chuckles, not feeling bad for the nerf ;P Something had to give, not fair a Necro is running head to head with a wizard ...while the wizard is begging the clerics for a shot of mana, the necro staying at 95% full, UNbalanced, needed fixing.

LOL Necros and wizards arguing about which class "should" have the best dps and which class last got hit hardest with the nerf-bat.

Reminds me of oldtime guild raids when there was a lot of downtime between spawns. LOL.

Have wizards gotten over having manaburn nerfed? ;)

LOL Necros and wizards arguing about which class "should" have the best dps and which class last got hit hardest with the nerf-bat.

Reminds me of oldtime guild raids when there was a lot of downtime between spawns. LOL.

Have wizards gotten over having manaburn nerfed? ;)

*giggle*

Yeah, we are a bitter class I must say, as we think we should always be Queens / Kings of DPS...pisses me off with a shitlord beats me ;) I think they have made strides to balance out the dps a bit, but wizards right now are falling behind, makes me grumpy! yes, over Manaburn :p They should refund the AA though!

I really hate this staggered content release, they were doing expansions half-assed already and now with the staggered content style expansion release just gives them more incentive to continue.

For example, none of the merc armor that is buyable on the merchant can be use for lower level mercs, so you basically have to be level 100 to utilize this expansion.

Utilizing the expansion items requires level 100 as well.

is there lower lvl content for folks or this expansion for people lvl 100 only

is there lower lvl content for folks or this expansion for people lvl 100 only

Yes thats the thing, you can do heroic adventures , that was the intent so you'd spawn an instance based on the appropriate level range of your group, yet all the armor available from both the regular armor merchant and the merc armor merchant is required level 100.

Who the fuck comes up with that kinda design!

my feelings so far about the expansion:

i feel that the merc gear that you get in this expansion is downright laughable.
the merc AAs are super basic almost like AAs in monster missions.
raid gear has better heroics
rogues sustained dps is nicely increased Zerker sustained increased
new AAs are super basic
new spells for the 6 classes i play are super basic
buncha new char models/color schemes

so far ive gotten partisan in 3 zones and iam kinda just going thru the motions, its kinda bland. perhaps once i get deeper into the expansion ill find it more fun

Edit::the dragon in new W karana looks cool lol