Choppy

Aquaplex

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions. When i play EQ without mq2, i can have multiple instances up on both of my monitors and nothing in the game is choppy, laggy. When i have mq2 loaded up, if i try to look with my mouse, which is how i play these days, i get super laggy response. Almost like the screen refresh dips to under 5fps or something. It's really annoying and it's preventing me from having fun. I run just a handful of plugins:

1. GMcheck
2. fastmem
3. dpsmeter one
4. mq2map
5. tooltip
6. mq2cast
7. debuffs
8. spawnmaster

Any suggestions or is this just normal behavior of mq2? I have kind of tolarated this for a few months but it's becoming really unbearable. Thanks guys.

Did you apply filters to mq2map? Could possibly be that if you have to many open. Especially in a zone with alot of npcs, pcs, object, ground spawns etc. Try turning off some of the filters and see what happens.

Unload each plugin, one by one, and figure out which is causing the choppiness if any.

No it isn't normal to get choppiness. You could also try MQ2FPS and changing the FPS rate (/maxfps fg 20).

do you use mq2fps ? If not load it.

Last edited:

I didn't have it enabled, but enabling it actually made things much worse on the other boxed toon windows. I even set /maxfps fg 20 like it was recommended by fry. That didn't make much difference. I thought it might have been mq2map but after unloading the plugin and logging back in, there wasn't much difference. I guess i'll have to go one by one and see if i can isolate it more.

If you are fine w/o MQ and get lag with MQ then you need to follow Fry's suggestion.

/plugin list

-- save list --

/plugin [whatever] unload

until fps goes back up.

It was the tooltip plugin that was causing all the lagginess/choppiness. Once i got rid of that everything was back to normal. Thank You for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
Yep, I will confirm unloading tooltip from the one pc I was having an issue with solved my issues as well.

I didn't notice it really on the other 4 boxes but I will double check them to see if unloading that drastically improves performance.

Granted I might not have the best gaming box out there but it is not terrible.

AMD A6 dual core 3.6ghz
14gb ram
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Geforce GTX 750 ti 2gb
Windows 8.1

That is my main box. I had just put the SSD in hoping to resolve this.
There was another issue with a secondary drive and I thought the stuttering was related to that and it wasn't

I didn't have it enabled, but enabling it actually made things much worse on the other boxed toon windows. I even set /maxfps fg 20 like it was recommended by fry. That didn't make much difference. I thought it might have been mq2map but after unloading the plugin and logging back in, there wasn't much difference. I guess i'll have to go one by one and see if i can isolate it more.

mq2fps will lower bg windows FPS so you get less lag on your active window. Basically the window you have up can be 50 fps and the rest 1 fps and you will not notice anything macros will not be effected by the lack of fps. You can always increase BG limit so it gets 20-30 or higher if you wanted. I use.

[MQ2FPS]
ForegroundMaxFPS=50
BackgroundMaxFPS=20
Mode=1
[Rendering]
FGRate=1
ReverseFGRate=0
BGRate=75
ReverseBGRate=0

Try "/maxfps bg 20" with MQ2FPS, to lower framerate of background windows.

This will make a huge difference, though sounds like you found the issue already. I'll get it looked into.

Yes unloading it on the other 4 pcs definitely decreased the lagginess on those pcs as well.

No background windows on the main box.
I prefer as little lag as possible on the box I am primarily on.
The other pcs I will run multiple instances on as needed.

Which is really ironic since the one I had the biggest problem with had the least load.

i put looking at tooltip to my todo list. It is probably doing some shit with OnPulse or OnDrawHUD that is fucking with people. I'm sure we can make it usable, but not cause impact.

htw