Changing registered name on Account.

Applies to all Station Accounts, you can change the registered name for EQ1 as well.

Confirmed, able to change account FirstName / LastName. Good stuff. Thanks.

wow they actually let you do this now. Before you had to petition and it was rare they let you.

I assume the advantage is auto transferring will be a lot more straightforward between accounts with the same name?

Yeah, I think I will wait and see how others make out with this.....

A long time ago you used to be able to edit the name.
And as soon as you edited your name they locked the account.

I had this happen once and had to track a friend down to get him to unlock the account he gave me.
They specifically told him when he called that they locked the account because the name was changed.

So let me know how you guys make out ;)

I changed the info on an account I recently purchased and it's all good. No problems here.

I have changed the names on 14 accounts this week and done transfers using the new names and all have gone thru......

Now if they could only make it straightforward to change the secret question.

I was able to recently transfer a character to another account with a different name. I called SoE with the other person on the call to approve the transfer and 3 weeks later it was completed.

I was also able to change the name on the bogus account I made for a character I had purchased a while ago.

I am thinking about transferring this character to another account with more Vet AA's now.

Nice find.

Seems more and more they're letting some reigns go on EQ, focusing on the newer stuff. I wonder at what point they'll stop support and content altogether.

It's my understanding they're doing that to take the spider web system even further.

The spider web is basically a big venn diagram. If one account gets busted for hacking, all accounts attached to that IP get busted. They also trace it through email, CC info, and the name on the account. It only takes them seconds to tie accounts together and takes no effort.

It all happened because of one douchebag who would steal accounts, move them to FV, then strip them. He split the items between 15-20 spoofed IPs.

Nice find.

Seems more and more they're letting some reigns go on EQ, focusing on the newer stuff. I wonder at what point they'll stop support and content altogether.

It's my understanding they're doing that to take the spider web system even further.

The spider web is basically a big venn diagram. If one account gets busted for hacking, all accounts attached to that IP get busted. They also trace it through email, CC info, and the name on the account. It only takes them seconds to tie accounts together and takes no effort.

It all happened because of one douchebag who would steal accounts, move them to FV, then strip them. He split the items between 15-20 spoofed IPs.

I highly doubt that, I think they realize accounts are changing hands and if you have all the info that's required that's good enough for them, another reason I know they are easing up on restrictions is because for 10 years I fought with them to get an apostrophe on my sur-name and they always shot me down, last week I tried it again on a whim and they very politely responded yes they would.

Nice find.

I highly doubt that, I think they realize accounts are changing hands and if you have all the info that's required that's good enough for them, another reason I know they are easing up on restrictions is because for 10 years I fought with them to get an apostrophe on my sur-name and they always shot me down, last week I tried it again on a whim and they very politely responded yes they would.

Which part do you doubt?

The entrapment part...

The spiderweb part? That's very real. I wouldn't be posting it just for fun or craps and giggles, but to try to be informative and helpful.

I guess you could say I didn't hear it from the horses mouth, but I do have a buddy who worked at SOE for four years on EverQuest. They let him go a few months back. I turn to him occasionally and ask questions. I asked one in regards to this post, and that's when he mentioned the diagram. They were still putting the spiderweb into works when they let him go.

It's really too late now to safe guard any of my accounts, as they're all attached to the same email and IP, but I figured to give some feedback that I learned for anyone else who might need it or find it informative.

Last edited:
OP provided a great "tip" but now I'm a bit concerned about Siere2014's posts. I have 3 or 4 accounts that were originally those of my son and some of his friends and their all named for them. It has always been MY credit card on the accounts, for many years now, and I'd love to re-name those accounts into my own name, which in theory shouldn't raise any red flags since the same name has been on the payment methods for many years. But on the other hand I don't want to walk into a Venn Diagram of Disaster!

There are some valid reasons to change an account name... Sony even mentions it on the page linked, such as a legal name change, which sure does happen when people get married. (Makes my skin crawl but even men have been known to hyphenate their surname after getting "hitched".) Granted I can't imagine Sony would go out of their way to accommodate the rather limited demand arising from those social transactions so I'd be inclined to think this is due more to a pragmatic acceptance of the fact that a lot of dues-paying customers these days have accounts they've "acquired" in various ways and might be more inclined to continue paying their "dues", and maybe investing even more funds through the Marketplace, if they could develop a greater "comfort level" about their ownership.

Is it REALLY likely they're doing this to use common account names in order to attack the entire "Venn diagram" of one person's history of accounts? They already have cc info, email addresses and IP addresses to track common ownership of accounts. From that perspective, what more do they gain by setting up a name change process. Historically Sony avoids providing services which could conceivably put a bigger burden on their limited customer support personnel and this sure looks like one that could do that.

Since surely Sony's keeping a history log of such changes, permitting name changes is hardly going to make it any tougher to "go after" those who violation account ownership rules, if they have a mind to do it.

All you have to do is go back 5-7 years ago, transferring toons from one account to another was virtually impossible, you had to basically have matching DNA to facilitate this..... Not anymore, All they want is the User name, credit card and secret answer of source account. They could care less about destination account. Even Krono's are an admission people use real world currency to buy gaming currency they even advertised it as the smart way to build your wealth. Sony could always track everything we do in the game, if you put a big target on your back you should never be suprised when you get hit.... I have spent about 1000 dollars on toons and transferring toons in the last 3-4 months and all have gone smoothly and without hitches.

Last edited: