Beam kiting

Not that I'm aware off. They aren't going to ninja nerf this. The community would be outraged.

Not that I'm aware off. They aren't going to ninja nerf this. The community would be outraged.

Come on, you really believe that? First of all, most of the "outrage" would be limited to the magician class. And how many times has EQ rammed thru some change that severely upset an entire class? Last one I remember involved necros and I don't recall such outrage having any result.

Global outrage might work, exemplified by how Sony reversed itself on the recent membership change involving SC. But I doubt one class is going to have much of an impact, especially once Sony determines that a particular aspect of the game is grossly unbalancing, or causing zone disruptions. Visit the Grounds any time a seriously rude swarmer or beamer is working and you can see zone disruptions happening. The key is to avoid pissing off too many other players. The Grounds is a very popular zone for general grouping and XPing so it's not a good choice for swarming/beaming unless you use your head and resist pulling most of the zone all at once. But this is preaching to the converted for those who follow such courtesy and talking to the deaf for those who don't care.

Last edited:
Remember mana burn?
I had JUST gotten the aa done way back. And had gotten to use it plus my mana stone, and epic, and was loving it. 1 WEEK later is when the patch went through with the nerf. "Heres all your AA back" KKTHX.

Ask Monks, Bards, necros, sk, pally, Ranger.. Off the top of my head at this early hour.. all of them had "Im QUITTING!!!" nerfs. Every time they nerf stuff, those who are unable to play the class without using a exploit get all butthurt.

I've been through almost every class nerf at one time or another. Sometimes I was probably one of the causes of the nerf being needed lol, others I was there right at the end.

Anyone remember back when chanter non-race illusions had faction mods? Yeah, there's a reason they took that away and I got to take advantage of it in all it's glory before then.

I've been through almost every class nerf at one time or another. Sometimes I was probably one of the causes of the nerf being needed lol, others I was there right at the end.

Anyone remember back when chanter non-race illusions had faction mods? Yeah, there's a reason they took that away and I got to take advantage of it in all it's glory before then.

Stein of Moggok hax0r!

not sure if it's been said so apologies in advance for any redundancy:

They won't nerf beam currently, just not allow for / create the perfect environment for beaming.

Example: Call of the Forsaken.... there are 0 beam spots.

Tip from a pro beamer: Time the lag and dont start casting beam until once the mass of mobs gets to "150 ft (according to mq2OSD)" I can kill the mobs in like 2 minutes.

If anyone was wondering, its about 100 mobs on the outer ring of Evantil.

TOTALLY WORTH DOING THE EVANTIL PARTISAN.

I'll probably get some flack from this but who cares. My problem with mage beam-kiting is that it seems to depend purely on exploiting zone lag. Other swarm-type PL methods, like sk swarming, zerker decapping, ranger head-shotting, cleric and druid techniques, wizard aoe kiting (before the nerfs there) all make legit use of game mechanics without exploiting. The problem is however Sony eventually gets around to nerfing beam-kiting they will institute changes that will most likely impact other class techniques for mass killng of mobs that are entirely game-legal.

Yeah, I'm sure it takes some practice and "expertise" (of a sort) to manage exploiting the lag generated by a mage beam-kite but I'm far more impressed by players who are able to use game-legal strategies to kill masses of mobs. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm posting this on a cheat site but even cheaters have their standards! LOL. And my serious point is that if a cheater creates a situation that leads to the devs instituting game changes that affect other players---cheaters or not cheaters---then that's not a result any of us should want.

Last edited:
Most efficient way I've witnessed beaming was a DRU / MAG team-up.. DRU pulls the zone w/ spirit of Cheetah, invis, and all the other tools, then SNARES all of the pull. Use the AA with the 15 min duration.

Once the pull is snared and clustered into a tight ball, mage COHs DRU to clear agro.

MAG activates Fire form, and starts to beam (Circle cluster of mobs using beam spells only). Faster movement helps, but with the snare a lot of the risk is removed. Once solid agro is achieved on mobs, MAG kicks in burn mode.. (twincast, etc, etc, etc...) and fries the cluster of mobs down.

Voila... Lots'o'XPs

NOTE: Only do this in INSTANCES (Evantil seems best IMHO). Doing it in a regular zone will bring the wrath of your server as well as the EQ Gods down upon you.

Most efficient way I've witnessed beaming was a DRU / MAG team-up.. DRU pulls the zone w/ spirit of Cheetah, invis, and all the other tools, then SNARES all of the pull. Use the AA with the 15 min duration.

Which is that? ENTRAP is the druid AA which provides a 15-min almost-impossible-to-resist quick-casting version of ENSNARE.

But it's single target. You advise casting this on a entire zone's worth of mobs one by one?

Druids get an aoe snare SPELL but it's not gonna last close to 15 minutes even with max spell enhancement aa's in effect.

There isn't a suggestion to fix beam kiting, plat/ts farming, training, or swarming here.

Last edited:
That would suck :( Would also negatively effect plat/TS farming. Let's never speak of that idea again lol.

Which is that? ENTRAP is the druid AA which provides a 15-min almost-impossible-to-resist quick-casting version of ENSNARE.

But it's single target. You advise casting this on a entire zone's worth of mobs one by one?

Druids get an aoe snare SPELL but it's not gonna last close to 15 minutes even with max spell enhancement aa's in effect.

http://www.raidloot.com/Spells.aspx?name=wall+of+wind

Directional ae snare, recast 1 min 10 secs with max aa, lasts 2.2minutes base , so guessing about ~6 mins with max extension.

Wall of Wind. I've had it for a long time and I abandoned it quite a while back for kiting because it didn't seem worth it.

First it does NOT get extended to 6 minutes or anything close. I have max AA's and it lasts a little over 2 mins.

It appears to be capped at 8 mobs. Which would make it useless for mage beam-kiting.

What's annoying is it's single-target cast range is much longer than it's aoe cast range. Which means you can't just click it until the mobs are within range because you won't get the aoe effect. And since the cast time isn't trivial you have to learn that sweet spot which lets it land aoe without the mobs getting their hands on you. This isn't that big of deal---IF the aoe could hit unlimited mobs. In my experience the only druid spells with UNLIMITED aoe capability are PBAOE spells and none of those would fit the bill here.

The recast delay of over 1 minute sucks. Even if you wanted to use this to snare 8 mobs at a time, by the time you can recast it, the previous batch you've snared is halfway to losing snare.

This is MY experience. I've played druids for a long time. But maybe I'm missing something. I have a high-level mage so I'd love to try druid-mage beam-kiting IN AN INSTANCE. Anyone who actually USES this spell for this purpose care to explain how to do it? I'm not trying to be difficult here but I'd love to learn how it's being used cuz I don't see it.

Vinelash Cascade, the spell, is another option but with the dual root-snare effect and it's even shorter duration I don't see how it would work for beam-kiting either.

Last edited:
Best use I found for Wall of Wind was in a pet-tank group. If mob is in camp it's gonna start beating on casters, Wall of Wind knocks it back out of camp and pets hold it there.

Has nothing to do with the beam kiting, but just wanted to throw out my strategy for it!

Siegetank,

The AA that lasts 15 min is the right one.

The pull (and snaring) takes the longest time of the whole process. Once its all pulled, the actual beaming takes about 5 min, or less.

I've seen it done in the evantil INSTANCE, pulling as many as reasonable possible mobs from the ground level.

Tag the first one, Camo, and run the mobs over each other.

Group sets up behind the portal, druid pulls clockwise from ZI.

Big flat area by the portal. Once mobs are agroed from there, start the big circle and use the AA Snare to one by one snare em all.

Snaring should take about 10 min. giving you 5 min to beam em all down. Your mage will want all passive and active AAs to enhance the power and destructiveness of their nukes.

Hope this helps.

Snare each mob one by one? Damn, whoever does that has alot of patients. Most folks ive seen, including myself, pull and beam them dead in around 15-18min. Once you get the lag run timing down its cake.

Off topic... Has anyone seen a enchanter/druid combo stun lock/pbae mass mobs? For better exp than beaming?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Snare each mob one by one? Damn, whoever does that has alot of patients. Most folks ive seen, including myself, pull and beam them dead in around 15-18min. Once you get the lag run timing down its cake.

Off topic... Has anyone seen a enchanter/druid combo stun lock/pbae mass mobs? For better exp than beaming?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sucks they made all the wizard pbae spells on same timer. The previous strategy was to get sk/war/pal anyone with a riposte disc to pull and then clump them all up nicely for the enc to ae stun. And then the wizard did the rest. Druids get pbae spells that aren't on the same timer? I remember their pbae spells had a very long recast time (8-9 secs?)