Apache vs 20 Taliban video

hawthorne

Celer, Silens, Mortalis
Reaction score
Stumbled across this on Reddit. Some great action in here. Maybe we can get our very own Apache pilot, orion949, to give us a play by play?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuP6dmYOE0"]Apache Helicopter kills 20 Taliban - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Awesome indeed!

Memo to self: if you're lying on the ground still alive with an Apache overhead... DON'T FUCKIN MOVE!! :eek:

I was wondering the whole time if the video was from an Apache helicopter or a drone overlooking an Apache helicopter blow ship up. It did look like the mini-gun fire was close to the crossbars on the screen.

I would love to hear from Orion on that.

I was wondering the whole time if the video was from an Apache helicopter or a drone overlooking an Apache helicopter blow ship up. It did look like the mini-gun fire was close to the crossbars on the screen.

I would love to hear from Orion on that.

I would think its the Apache, in the cross talk they are asking to rotate left so they gun lines up.

Damn, connection is sucking at work. I cant watch it. I was an apache crewchief for 7years. I love to watch what my babies have done!

It is indeed AH-64 gun tape. I dont know whose engagement this one is other than its Afghanistan and its not an official Army released video. Any gun tape that you see with the symbology set not censored out is basically "leaked" gun tape. When the Army releases video to the press they will put little black lines over all of the symbology. But, after 10 years of fighting two wars with thousands of hours of Apache gun tape out there, I cant imagine how it could possible make a difference. The symbology sets they have in Call of Duty and Battlefield are nearly exact replicas.

The video is a both the lead and trail ships video compiled to make one video. Both ships are engaging with 30mm and AGM-114K2A Hellfire.

The large broken box for the Hellfire with the word "BACKSCATTER" means that the missile is in within constraints to fire off the rail but the laser is getting multiple returns (usually from smoke and dust) so the weapons processor (WP) is not going to let the gunner shoot in Lock-On Before Launch (LOBL) mode but he can still get the missile of in Lock-On After Launch (LOAL) mode.

With the 30mm when is says "EL LIMIT" that is an elevation limit based on the current ballistic solution being calculated. Those familiar with shooting know that bullets travel in an arc to hit the target. The farther the target, the higher the arc so eventually the elevation will be too high to articulate the gun. Same goes with the depression and both based on the aircraft attitude at the time the solution is being calculated that is why you see it flashing on and off as they maneuver.

Same with the "AZ LIMIT" it is the azimuth limit that the gun can articulate left or right, 89 degrees max or less if the opposite crew member has rockets or missiles actioned. If the opposite crew member pulls the trigger for missile/rocket the gun will inhibit all together to keep from hitting the ordinance with one of your own rounds.

If anybody has any specific questions about what they are seeing I have no problem answering them either.

At 1:12 there is a single frame spliced image in this video..

Kinda like fight club except it's not a cock.

Last edited:
At 1:12 there is a single frame spliced image in this video..

Kinda like fight club except it's not a cock.

Wow, good eye Zipp. It appears to be a Jedi duel?

Thanks for the commentary Orion. Interesting that it wasn't made available by DOD though. I wonder how much other footage is out there at the various video places around the net.

Miss it?

Thanks for the commentary Orion. Interesting that it wasn't made available by DOD though. I wonder how much other footage is out there at the various video places around the net.

Miss it?

There is a metric shit ton of Apache gun tape out there online both official releases and "leaks". I have seen some of my engagements online before as well as some non-engagement tape of mine. I have no idea how it gets out there but keep in mind the kids cutting the tapes and processing them for the S2 are mostly like 18 year old tech savy E4s and most engagements are sent out to the Ground Force Commander who owned the real estate the engagement took place on or the unit that was being directly supported. There isnt a very tight hold on any of tape as far as I have witnessed.

I do miss miss being in combat right now, mainly because it is a real world mission and you go out every day with a clear task and purpose that means something. Garrison operations and training can become very tedious very quickly as any vet on here will probably attest to.

Might have missed it but i thought they donkeys didnt get hit!

I didnt see any take any critical shots but keep in mind 30mm HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose) rounds are basically armor piercing frag grenades exploding on impact so Im sure those poor Donkeys got peppered with some shrapnel along the way.

I do actually feel bad for them because they are tied down and cant even run away but there is no way around it unfortunately.

Careful, don't wanna fire up PETA or they will be all over this like white on rice!