Learn to program with the books I use in college.

Chatwiththisname

Learning2Code
Reaction score
I've been on MMOBugs and Macroquest2 websites for a large portion of the time Everquest has been available. One of the major issues that most people on both of these sites run into is they lack understanding of programming in general. While the two books I have posted do have the general portions of programming, they also have some of the more advanced portions of it as well. While these aren't books specifically designed to teach you the API, TLO's, or Syntax of MQ2, understanding the basics of how a program is created, the way a machine reads code are definitely fundamentals to understanding any programming language, the rest is syntax.

While I don't have exercises for both of these books, the book itself does have exercises. For the Java book I have the code in the book available and will include it as a zip file. For the C++ book I'll include this semesters homework assignments. Anyone with an understanding of programming would be able to breeze through the exercises. However, those of you who have not programmed before, these will likely assist you greatly.

For both of these programming languages you can get free IDE software.

For Java I recommend Eclipse. *** Eclipse Downloads ***
For C++ I recommend Microsoft Visual Studios. *** Downloads | IDE, Code, & Team Foundation Server | Visual Studio ***

Tutorials on use of both software platforms can be found online through youtube.

C++ using Visual Studio 2013 (recommended by professor - 56 videos or so) *** C++ Beginner Tutorials - YouTube ***

Free online training from microsoft on their software *** C++ Training, Language & Library Jump Start - Microsoft Virtual Academy ***

The Savitch_Absolute_CPP has a more recent version for my class, but This is the free version available online and is like 8 editions behind. MQ2, and the plugins that run on MQ2 are made using C++. This would likely be beneficial if you want to understand how the plugins work. As of now I do not know how to setup VS 2017 to make plugins. But if I figure it out I'll update this post with a how-to, (or if I find one that is already created, likely would be located on the MQ2 website.)

The Book10eByChapters.zip contains code from the Java book.
The Module 1-6 for Savitch contains my assignments for this semester for C++. Module 1 has standalone .cpp files for my results of the assignment, and Module 2 contains a single .cpp for the assignment I've completed so far. I'll likely not update that zip file to reflect other completed assignment .cpp files. Chances are solutions to the questions are online as this is no doubt assigned every semester to every student in attendance at my college.

Thanks for the post and attachments.

I'm currently attending school for programming as well. Unfortunately, we are focusing on Visual Basic. Here's the book, for anyone interested in it. It's actually quite a good learning book.

Attachments

• Savitch_Absolute_Cpp_1st_Ed_free.pdf
    8.4 MB · Views: 24
  • Introduction to Java Programming, Comprehensive Version, 10th Edition- Y. Daniel Liang.pdf
    14 MB · Views: 17
  • Book10eByChapters.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • Module 1-6 for Savitch Absolute CPP - Assignments.zip
    15.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Module 3 Solutions.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Module 4 Solution.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Module 5 Solution.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Module 6 Solution.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Grabbed these thank you. Finishing my MBA soon and going down python route first, but definitely will add these to the list.

Appreciate it!

C

C++ console pause.

(C++) Not that anyone has asked. But if you're wanting to make a program that prints to console, that also doesn't close when ran from inside of VS, you can add the line

system("pause"); to your main function.

IE:

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
    cout << "Some Text";

system("pause");//This line makes it pause the console before return 0, thus you have to press a key to continue. 
    return 0;
}

note that "system" is case sensitive, if you use System("pause"); instead of system("pause"); it will not work.

I'm currently attending school for programming as well. Unfortunately, we are focusing on Visual Basic. Here's the book, for anyone interested in it. It's actually quite a good learning book.

Last edited:

Hopefully your college doesn't focus on a single language and does look into multiple languages. I think the focus on Java in my classes is due to the android OS. My mobile game development course has started as of today, it requires Programming Fundamentals I and II, which is all about java, in order to even get the class. Unfortunately up to this point I haven't been saving all the power point presentations and assignments. But I will do so in the future so that it can be added to this post.

Additionally, I'm going to add your book to my original post, giving you credit for the submission. This way all the books are found on a single post.

Edit. I tried to add it to the list, but when I try to download the file I get Failed - File Incomplete. Please try reuploading the file. Make sure the file uploads completely before closing the window for the upload. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Anyone recommend C#? I'm needing to move a work project to a new platform and considering using Java, C++ or C#. I'd need to refresh myself with whatever language we end up using. It isn't a BIG project but I do think whichever language we use might become our default choice down the road so making the smart choice now would save us trouble in the future.

These are client-side applications only so web capability isn't an issue. Basically it's very old code written in Foxpro, which won't even run on 64-bit systems and we want to convert our PCs to 64-bit Win10.

We even considered Javascript for its relative simplicity but these apps use a lot of databases and I think one of the "Big 3" would be more effective.

Edit. I tried to add it to the list, but when I try to download the file I get Failed - File Incomplete. Please try reuploading the file. Make sure the file uploads completely before closing the window for the upload. Thanks in advance.

Hmm. Removed the attachment, zipped the pdf and reuploaded. Hopefully it works this time.

The program is 4 VB classes, 1 Intro to C++, and 1 Intro to Java.

What I'd really like to have gone for is web development. I already know a decent amount of PHP, and would love to expand on that. Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and am pretty limited on the CSCI programs offered.

Hrm, odd... stops at about 20% (for your pdf), and for the zip (about 20%). Then fails.

BTW, as far as C#, lot of nay-sayers, but I would say go for it - I do various stuff with C# (.net), and like it better than .net C++ or VB. Just my 2c.

htw

testing upload of a large pdf...

Attachments

• Apress.Expert.Visual.C.plus.plus.CLI.Apr.2007.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Theory and Problems of Programming with C++ (Schaum's Outline, OCR) 1996.pdf
    16 MB · Views: 8
So it's our system, I will have to investigate what's up with it - might be the db server, will let you know.

htw

Z, had to remove your attachment - if you could upload 1 more time (pdf is fine, or zip), thanks man.

htw

Thanks htw.

Re-uploaded it to my original post!

Anyone recommend C#? I'm needing to move a work project to a new platform and considering using Java, C++ or C#. I'd need to refresh myself with whatever language we end up using. It isn't a BIG project but I do think whichever language we use might become our default choice down the road so making the smart choice now would save us trouble in the future.

These are client-side applications only so web capability isn't an issue. Basically it's very old code written in Foxpro, which won't even run on 64-bit systems and we want to convert our PCs to 64-bit Win10.

We even considered Javascript for its relative simplicity but these apps use a lot of databases and I think one of the "Big 3" would be more effective.

I didn't add this link to the list because I haven't verified the contents of this Git. But here is a list of books available on Git.

GitHub - EbookFoundation/free-programming-books: Freely available programming books

The link directly to the English list is free-programming-books/free-programming-books.md at master * EbookFoundation/free-programming-books * GitHub

The list appears to be ordered by programming language.

Again, I haven't gone through the list to know if any of it is valid, any good, or even useful.

Last edited:
I'm trying to learn to code now so I'll add these to my reading list. Thanks.

Added solutions for Module 3 for C++ class to the list of files on original post. Note...I'm past due on my homework :-x

Last edited:
Added solutions for Module 4 and 5 for C++ class to the list of files on original post.

COSC 2324 - Mobile Game Development was added to the list. This is week 1 through 14. It's over 200mb because it includes power point slides, pdfs, and for the sake of space a text file with the link to the youtube videos associated with the week as opposed to me ripping the file off youtube and putting it directly into the zip files (which would have been a -LOT- of space). Note: I didn't actually do the coursework all the way through for this class. I dislike the professor, his videos, and didn't care for the class in general. That doesn't mean that the information won't get you into making android applications/games. I wouldn't know. I instead opted to update bot40.mac and subsequently payed almost no attention to this class after week 4 or so. Perhaps I can find a different professor teaching this class next semester that isn't a tool.

Solution to Module 6 on C++ class is uploaded to first post as a zip file. At least based on the busted ass way it was worded I believe that's what they wanted. I'll find out soon enough. Note, the assignment says 8 files were to be uploaded to blackboard and I only have 7. That's because someone either fat fingered the keyboard, or they can't count. Either way I only have 7 files. It could be done in 1 file. It's much easier to look at that way for such a small program. I felt it was implied that they wanted it in separate files however.

I take my final for this class Saturday. Wish me luck :)