$5 off SOE game cards

When they gonna drop the list price of RoF is what I wanna know... I have accounts I won't upgrade until the usual price drop!

This is a better deal then the +500SC Walmart cards. Each dollar spent on the 5$ off card yields 12.5% more SC then each dollar spent on Walmart cards.

Last edited:
walmart $15/2000 = 133SC/$1
other $15/1500 = 100SC/$1
discount $10/1500 = 150SC/$1

I only come up with 11.3%, so I disagree! (lol, j/k)

htw

They will drop the price of RoF about 3 months before the launch of the next expansion. I personally wouldn't bother to pay for RoF even at the discounted rate, unless you are sure you won't buy the next expansion on that account when it comes out. You'll just end up paying $60 (20 +40)that way.

That IS a good point. IF there is another expansion in the works. Are we sure of that? Yeah, so far there's been at least one xpac every year but from time to time we hear rumors that the last one is indeed the LAST one. Do we have any advance indications that another expansion is to be expected?

Trust me there is another one coming. I'd guess right before xmas, they seem to be missing the 1 year cycle mark by 2-3 months each year, it used to be August, next year after that it was September, then October and so on, last one was in November I think?

I doubt they would do after Xmas , as they would loose considerable business, but late November or early December would be my guess.

That IS a good point. IF there is another expansion in the works. Are we sure of that? Yeah, so far there's been at least one xpac every year but from time to time we hear rumors that the last one is indeed the LAST one. Do we have any advance indications that another expansion is to be expected?

Yes we are sure. Dave said at E3 that they will be announcing new expansions for EQ and EQ2 at SOE Live. It will be done in the same way ROF was done though with content patches.

He also implied this is the end of the story for the current expansions lore and something new will be coming no more purple crystals.

Ok so I went by GameStop to buy a few of these, was planning on holding onto them till a triple SC weekend. Well there is TAX on these!! Which is really odd cause if you buy them from Walmart, there is no tax. So, its still better than the walmart cards but since Gamespot was charging me tax, I was like fuck you, and just left.

I asked the guy instore why there was tax and he wasn't sure because there were other game cards that had no tax on them, is what he was telling me. So I'm not sure if it was the register was programmed wrong or what, but I'll just till a triple SC to buy them from Walmart.

Ok so I went by GameStop to buy a few of these, was planning on holding onto them till a triple SC weekend. Well there is TAX on these!! Which is really odd cause if you buy them from Walmart, there is no tax. So, its still better than the walmart cards but since Gamespot was charging me tax, I was like fuck you, and just left.

I asked the guy instore why there was tax and he wasn't sure because there were other game cards that had no tax on them, is what he was telling me. So I'm not sure if it was the register was programmed wrong or what, but I'll just till a triple SC to buy them from Walmart.

I have seen the tax on game cards a few times in the past. Best Buy was the first place I noticed it but only one or two times. Not sure why some do and others don't.

if gamestop in your area doesnt have the game cards best buy will price match on these. i did it for 10 of them today at best buy and there was no tax

I'm not 100% positive but I think tax is already calculated into the charge, which is why it was so ridiculous to me that they were charging me tax on it. Its like paying double tax.

I had no tax on the cards I picked up from Game Stop yesterday.

First, I'm sure y'all realize sales tax is imposed by the state so it varies from state to state!

This situation exists in my home state. Walmart does NOT charge tax and Gamestop DOES on these cards. So this does appear to be a problem specific to Gamestop. Maybe they just have their programs to tax these throughout their stores regardless of where they're located. Not kosher since it is technically illegal to charge sales tax on tax-exempt items. But IF they DO collect it, they DO have to remit this money to the state since retailers act as an agent of the state in collecting sales taxes. So to issue a refund to the consumer, they'd have to then apply for a refund of the collected tax from the state, which is a royal PITA for them. So my guess is rather than open this can of worms, they'll just refuse to refund the money.

Of course, this practice could be made the target of a class action lawsuit, if there are any under-employed attorneys reading this... ;)

Last edited:
The tax is based off what they quantify the item as. Food/Clothes/Services are all charged at different rates. It also required to be the final product. Meaning you will not be buying something else for it.

To my understanding the gamecard is not the final product as you use it as currency to purchase time or items.

I would consider this a double tax.

Had time to kill so hit 4 different Gamestops this morning.

Yield: 2 cards. (They charged sales tax.)

Not ONE clerk had even HEARD about the promotion. Hell, only one in four stores knew what a Sony Station Cash card even was.

What's the point, eh? A college sophomore marketing major would do a better job in managing such a promotion. I don't really care since I have a stockpile of Walmart cards waiting for the next "quadruple" Station Cash promotion.

One clerk seemed honestly surprised to hear that on-line PC games still exist. And this guy works for a game store... /boggle.

LOL, he's one seriously out of touch person then. There are so many, not just the 'mainstream' ones - many are for short-term satisfaction, i.e., teenie games, but there are so damn many of them, it's not even funny.

htw