12 Boxing

Casca

Lifetimer
Reaction score
If you were to 12 box Everquest, what would be the classes that you would choose? Assume you don't use any MQ stuff or software help that SoE might not like, that no character will be automated and everything will be controlled via a shit ton of hotkeys in game and the Xkeys and Vetras for hardware controlling those hotkeys. About the closest you'll get to automating is G-13 control pads mindlessly autorepeating taunt and whatever other hotkeys for melee types. I realize that is a strange condition considering where I am at, but although I doubt I will use MQ, I like these forums.

depends what you want to box.
this just a fast group put together that covers most things you would wanna do.
war
clr
shm
zerk
rogue
rng

sk
clr
brd
ench
wiz
wiz

Why JJ im surprised you didn't say cleric warrior wiz wiz wiz wiz wiz wiz wiz wiz

12 mages and 12 healer mercs

That would be insane to see. I have 4 mages now and when I send in the 4x mage pets, an enchanter pet and shaman pet, then do raging servant......that is a whole lotta pets. I am sure 12 lvl85 mages with all pet AA's can do some amazing things and with merc healers, be very easy to control. I like mage boxes alot more then wiz since mages bring melee DPS with them as well and their pets are even decent tanks. However, I am already set-up to do a more traditional box crew and in my heart am a melee player.

But if I were to do something like that, I'd probably do 1 shaman, 1 bard and 10 mages for the buffs and the pulling with bard +/melody. Mercs can do the other buffs and enchanter buffs are very long lasting and can be had in a bottle. You know, I bet that would be alot more capable then my current box crew (SK, Cleric, 4xmages, rogue, chanter, druid, shaman, bard and trying to figure out the last spot...but have warrior there for now) and a whol lot easier to control. Tempting to switch what I play, but I feel attached to the characters I started.

get swarm pet on all chars possible an cast that one spell that does like 700dmg per pet on the mob should be mega dps if there isn't a limit on the number of pets it does 700dmg for

12 boxing even 6 melee toons would be a pita challenge to keep them all in range of the mob. rember that pets automatically follow mobs without extra input. if you want to go with mages (my main), mage air pets can stun unstunable mobs, so you could keep mobs allmost permastuned. another option for easy dps would be your old friend /autofire with a ranger or 2. if i where to make a 12 box crew, it would probly look like
1 tank class a taunting class to save the BOOM chew toys
1 shammy
2 rangers
1 monk or bard for pulling, bard songs could help the melee class group or caster group with dps
1 enc in caster group useing mana recurssence aura and another, i prefer twincast aura
1 cleric
3-5 mages useing air pets to stun the mobs and for backup tanking
0-2 wizzy for the BOOM

this is just my 2 cp

JJ would know best imo, i have seen him have 15 toons on at once.

12 Mages. That would be kick ass. Should also be easy to control too. Plus you can coth your army around.

Lets think about this logically. What content can you do with 12 mages and 12 merc healers?

I like JJ's setup quite a bit, but imo I would trade out the ranger for a druid.

Lets think about this logically. What content can you do with 12 mages and 12 merc healers?

12 of anything you'd only be able to do group/old raid content, I would have thought?

I'm not a pro boxer so I'm unsure how difficult it would be to play 12 different classes all at once.

12 of anything you'd only be able to do group/old raid content, I would have thought?

I'm not a pro boxer so I'm unsure how difficult it would be to play 12 different classes all at once.

Without automation, I would say impossible to EFFECTIVELY play all 12. If you just want to have some fun, sure you can go box to box firing nukes and slowely move all melee into position one at a time, although regular mobs are probably dead before they get there. I 6 box regularly without problems, but then again my melee automatically engage at 95% and use all of their discs, aa's, and spells... and yes my wizard fights with an 850 proc'er doing over 2k crit procs =)

I started out as a ranger in 1999, then switched to a rogue. From just playing the rogue, I slowly grew to 6 accounts by 2005 (only melee being my rogue, so he was tank). Stayed like that till 2008 and then I popped up to 9 accounts and shortly after I was at 10. The jump from 6 to more was when I found out about X-keys, Vetra's and Multiplicity, none of which should be a problem with SoE.

My 10 box team is:

Shadowknight: I went warrior first. Holy trinity was pounded in my head from the beginning. Only problem is, I rarely have deaths because I wasn't able to heal my tank (be it warrior or when I only had my rogue as "tank"). I usually got a toon dead or even a wipe of various degrees because of agro issues. So I switched to shadowknight and let me say, the SK is great at agro in all ways compared to the warrior. Hard targets will be harder though as the warrior's /disc for defensiv was great fo things like that. Still open to switch back to my warrior as only tank though as I think wit better gear he'll be more effective.

Rogue: He is my main and is better geared then all my other toons, although that is changing fast since the last time I actively raided him, the guild I was in was farmign Solteris and MMM. Although the raid dagger I have on him still exceeds group gearing, that will probably change with the next expansion. For now, he practically out DPS's all 80% of all my other accounts combied. I keep the rogue, that won't change.

Druid: He is almost lvl85 now. Got him to be nuker normally, DoTer when mobs have tons of hitpoints and secondary healer when needed. The flight of eagles, instant shared group invis and transports is nice, but not a must have. I find I don't really use him to secondary heal the tank much, but I do use him to hel my other none melee accounts....especially the cleric...if they grab agro since I have X-keys set-up on him for healing anyone of my accounts easily. Open to changing him out, although doing will greatly increase the chance that when my leric grabs agro, he dies.

Cleric: Yes there are mercs, but they can't go everywhere. Cleric is there for obvious reasons.

Shaman: Almost lvl85. Useful buffs for hitpoints and melee DPS. Every buff he has has a group version, so easy to buff all my toons. Not sure how beastlords compare. Not sure if I'd want to change out.

Enchanter: He is a buff bot and a weak nuker (almost lvl80). Every now and then I use him to pacify my rogues target for hard pulls. Works well and if he gets agro, he eats the death. I just about never use him to mez. I can reliably root mobs with the shaman easier. I really do like having his buffs on demand, but am open to changing him out after I get him to 85 and all AA's and gear to extend his buffs. Then can move him to a logical account where I can jus log him in for buffs when needed.

Mage (x4): 1 at lvl83 rest @78. I was impresse with my first mage. Having 4 is useful. My tank eats it on regular exp. mobs, the pets take over. Just wish I could give pets a permanent name like they do on EQ2, so that I can make a pet heal hotkey. Have not really worked on any of my mages healing ability and I don't really use mercs unless I have to. Maybe add more mages?

That's ten boxing, been doing that for a while and it's not too difficult. I like it in that, I think of myself as a melee player really, so I always have kept my tank and rogue in the kill group. I think even if I wasn't, it'd be logical to keep the tank advancing in levels/AA's. As for the rogue, if I consistently backstab, pretty much whatever goup he is in is the kill group. This set-up is not too bad to level up all toons. I simply switch out the other 4 spots depending on Lesson of devote being up or which class needs levels/AA's to balance em out. Currently, priority is to get my buff classes to lvl85 and extended buff AA's.

I hate to admit it, but I added two more accounts to be 12 in a zone for MM. This won't be useful much longer, but I am considering staying at 12. Certain classes can be made to mirror inputs of classes I already have off the control set-ups I use.....like more mages or a wiz or two. So adding two of either of those classes, will be almost no increase of difficulty to control for me.

Right now I added these from my other accounts:

Bard: lvl76. He is useful for hard pulls, although my rogue plus mage coth could already do alot of hard pulls and that was before they gave rogues Smokescreen disc (basically set a trap, pull mobs into to trap where they get mem wiped and then dazed for a short time, then pull a single mob from there. Usually works) or I can use SK to snare a mob away from pack, then coth with mage...so pull wise, I can live without having a bard. Bard also adds /melody and some of the songs would greatly increase melee and caster DPS. Not to mention mana songs. Open to switch out.

Warrior: This is the tank I went with first. His defensive /disc makes more things possible. Without his disc,he tanks about the same as my SK, maybe a little better. However, he is a bit behind in single target taunting and not even in the ballpark for AoE taunting comapred to my SK and in a big box team, that makes all the difference. It would be usful to also have a warrior as well as the SK. I can see doing some lower end raids where I have my warrior mindlessly repeating all of his normal taunt stuff via a G-13 gamepad auto-repeating his hotkeys with defensive running keeping the interest of the boss mob, while I rung around with SK killing adds. However, alot of those raids also through other crap in there like.....ducking according to an emote, getting a cure for a death touch by running to X NPC to hail or some other shit that I think is not possible for me to do. So it is likely that the warrior will be mostly unused for anything other then hard to use weak DPS. Open to switch out.

Controlling them: I run everything except my rogue and warrior off of one X-keys hooked up to a vetra.

For the 4 mages, cleric, shaman duid and enchanter, I basically hit one key and they all do various things, ranging from cleric doig two non agro heals on tank while the shaman malos or the shaman slows, while the enchanter weakens and the druid snares and then all do their nukes. I have keys for using 2 different nukes as well as keys for DoTs. Under normal conditions, controlling all ten of those is like controling one. They all also have individual X-keys for a more personalize controlling and if need be, I can move my mouse cursor to their screen to do mouse and keyboard control on em.

The rogue and tank is controlled either mouse/keyboard and or G-13 keypads. I haven't started really using the SK yet, but when I used my warrior, what I did was have him continously hitting taunt, kick, bash (maybe more?) via toggling on/off a G13 key. I'd pull with the rogue and run straight towards my warrior. Hit assist on warrior via the G13 gamepade and the warrior would start shooting arrows at mob. That is almost always enough forthe mobs to run straight to the warrior and be in perfect position for the warrior to tank. Once mob is near, I hit another G13 key and the warrior will start meleeing as well as do a /disc incite line. I had various endourance dependent /disc linked to the G13 if needed as well, ranging from more agro stuff to defensive stuff. The rogue I either play normal keyboard/mouse or I can also hit his G-13 keypad to have him toggle backstab on/off. If needed, I hit a G13 key that will have him evade and then go back to meleeing.

Controlling two melee's and 10 others is not too hard this way. Adding on more melee's would make it fairly difficult for me. I can see the warrior being useful for some stuff, but outside of that he'd be a 5th wheel. The bard would be nice to have, (I love their run speeds) but is primarly using him for /melody really useful over say another mage or maybe even a wizard? I can probably move him about to also have him assist the tank lke I do with my rogue, but that will take more input on my end and I doubt I'd always do it.

Last edited:
*Not quoting because of the long post, but a few things to add:

Warrior: My brother plays a warrior as his main and AE groups of mobs never seemed to be a problem with the whorlblade line of discs, or AE taunt if necessary.

Bard: I now play a bard as my main, and have always had a boxed bard simply for their increase in DPS. In a group situation a bard is the most indirect DPS you can possibly get (will increase your rogue's DPS to make up for at least 2 other chars). If you become exceedingly efficient at pulling you will never have to try to rogue pull again, and pull times will drop drastically.

Druid: Back on Luclin, my main was a raid-geared Druid. I had about 1k aa's (which was a lot for the time, a few years ago) and all healing aa's maxed out. He was the primary healer of my box group and only using quick heals I could keep the group up without a problem. Not to mention FoE, Dmg Shield, PL'ing and porting.

Shaman: I didn't start playing a shaman until Mayong, but even at 80 his DPS is weak... however, group panther / cougar more than makes up for it chain proc'ing for 450. Shaman HoT's are almost as good as clerics, but only single target and don't cure like the cleric HoT's do.

Beastlord: I have never played a high-end beastlord, but they lack in raid parses for DPS even with their pets, for DPS stick with your rog, wiz, berserker or monk imo.

I will probably get some flamage for this, but from my experience in the past 10'ish years this is what I have concluded. Oh, and even with MQ2 I still use multiplicity sometimes. I have been using it for a long time, it is great software and I would recommend it to anyone.

2 questions:

1. What is "multiplicity" software

2. Why play 12 toons without using MQ? Is it the fear that it's too obvious that you're macroing with 12 toons?

Multiplicity allows for multiple computer hooked to a single keyboard and mouse (with a monitor for each computer). It communicates over TCP/IP and keyboard / mouse input goes to whichever computer is activated (usually by moving the mouse between monitors).

http://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/

InnerSpace ISBoxer if you are going to go without cheats but lets face it he is asking here on a cheat site. he is going to use automation for his 12.

again what logical reason would you want 12 mages and 12 mercs? 12 SKs > 12 mages. Most older zones worth a shit for raid content are instances that means no mercs.

No, I won't automate. Came to this forums when Naggy MM came out and I was trying to find ways to beat it and yep, I was willing to do wthatever to get it done...within reason (like nothing that was over a 20% chance of being banned). I almost diffinently will not be loading MQ, I absolutely will not be automating unless you consider nostrom's, G-13/15/19 autorepeating to be automating. I am not judging, just saying I am not doing it myself. There are other useful info on this forum though and I like the fact that I asked about "12 boxing" and got good useful relevant information. Ask that on most other forums and besides not getting useful info, I'd probably get rude comments. Ask that on Dual-boxing forums and I'd get a mixture of people that haven't played EQ since 2004 giving advice or people who don't even know what EQ is since they are just about all WoW player there. Knew about ISboxer and Innserspace for a while now, but I have been full hardware boxing well before that came out and it's been workign for me. Possibly it would offer me more control though and maybe some new tricks, wil look into it sooner or later.

12 mages would not be my style though and even if it's useful only on group content and no raids and probably even some group instances, it still would be a hell of a thing to see lol