Wireless Routers

BlueBug

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, before I go out and blow a couple hundred buck I'm hoping sombody/bodies know more about this than I do.

I have a Lynksys WRK54-G router that I have 3 computers hooked up to in my "Man Cave". But the wife wants internet on the otherside of the house, I think that would be out of range for the router. So, my question is this- Can I use the router for wired AND wireless? If it can be for wireless and wired would it work with a range extender?
Once I get pasted the basics I'm totaly confused on this kind of stuff. And any information is appreciated.

Thanks guys,

BB

Ok, before I go out and blow a couple hundred buck I'm hoping sombody/bodies know more about this than I do.

I have a Lynksys WRK54-G router that I have 3 computers hooked up to in my "Man Cave". But the wife wants internet on the otherside of the house, I think that would be out of range for the router. So, my question is this- Can I use the router for wired AND wireless? If it can be for wireless and wired would it work with a range extender?
Once I get pasted the basics I'm totaly confused on this kind of stuff. And any information is appreciated.

Thanks guys,

BB

rofl, thats what my wife calls it too. A man cave.

I've kept this link just for the day I thought about switching over to wireless. It's from D-Link but it's all about "range booster" technology and how it adds 4x the range....which would cover your distance, most likely.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=501

It should be able to be used as both wireless/wired at the same time. You should also be able to if needed just pick up another of the same model and use it as an access point halfway thru the house so you get better reception.

i do it now. i use wireless and wired at the same time with 1 router and have a wireless printserver (access point) downstairs that my driecttv plugs into. Adding the second wireless spot should cost you less than 80.

Necroman

PS> When setting up the second wireless spot do the initial setup right next to the original and move away after configured correctly. It makes trouble shooting much easier

Actually, you can do what I'm doing right now. Someone nearby my apt...Well, a couple houses down has a netgear wireless router up and I'm piggybacking off of it. I went and bought a Belkin Wireless N+MIMO usb adapter from Wal-mart for like 75 bucks and I get pretty good signal and them down the road. If you get the same adapter with your wife just across the house then she shouldn't have any problems using the net for whatever. I know they say that you should use things that match when it comes to wireless but I'm not having any issues at all. In a couple of days my wife's PC will be put back together and she'll have a linksys wireless adapter on hers and will be doing the same thing I'm doing. The range I think on my adapter is like 1200ft. I've got a constant 60% signal from whomever it is that is broadcasting. And by doing this, you don't have to buy another router, don't have to get a repeater or range extender of any kind. I would highly suggest this http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=372137 although I despise wireless lol.

your range is cut dramatically by the type of building material used in your house. Also piggy backing of someone elses wireless is silly all they have to do is not broadcast the signal publicly and you lose your access if they add a pass key

I've been there done that with the piggybacking thing. once i was able, I got my own connection and i broadcast mine but if i notice I'm lagging i restrict access to it. but as long as i don't notice any performance loss i don't mind if any one connects to my network. i have had 4 computers wired directly and 2 laptops wireless off of my one router, so yes you can do both at the same time.

Awsome guys. Thanks for the information. Heh, this'll make the ....ah-hem Boss happy.

BB

You might be surprised with the range you get from your router...I have linksys wireless router in my basement of a brick house and I can out in my back yard and still have 60% signal...I am guessing that is probably 75 feet from my router which is below ground and has to penetrate a solid brick house. I was pretty shocked how good a signal I got out there. I would check it before you buy another router.

wrt54? if you go with the wrt600n those suck ass and have really shity range on the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands.

I think the model of the one I am using is the wrt54g

those are nice and do send out a really really good signals