Wireless problems...

reformed2hacker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an interesting problem with my wireless. I have a computer that I would like to make wireless. I have tried two different wireless cards. I've also tried using the manufacture drivers and the chipset maker drivers. I also use the WZC.

Now here is the kicker. I can connect to any AP that does not have any encryption on it. (WPA, WEP, etc etc) Works fine, runs full speed and all that jazz. But as soon as I turn on encryption on my AP's encryption or try to connect to a router with encryption already enabled it will not connect. It will momentarily connect, then disconnect over and over till WZC gets tired of trying. Another interesting point, is my laptop will connect fine. It's using Intel wireless chipset. It handles WPA like a charm.

Quite frankly, I am at a loss. I've never had this issue before and I'm stumped. Anyone offer any suggestions?

r2h

Edit:

Here are the Wireless NIC's I was using:

Zyxel g-302
Dlink WDA-1320

Heres my advise:

Unless you are running a laptop, get rid of wireless, it's not stable enough for gaming.

As for your problem, sounds like either a router config or NIC problem, but I'm guessing you already know that. Sorry I couldn't be much more help, I really hate wireless with a passion, well unless it's someone on my street running an unsecured wireless network which I love.

Fry.

Well, I was unable to actually "fix" it. I decided to try WEP again, and this go around I got all the settings correct or something and poof it worked. And yeah, I got a laptop that I have to use wireless on, and my parents comp...they don't like ugly wires LOL.....hrm..

So anyway, working with WEP now. Thanks for suggestions Fry, and I do to hate wireless. Unless it's on my laptop....which has unusually strong wireless NIC in it. Asus AJ8S....I highly recommend it. =)

r2h

Im begining to fall in love with wireless again, I went through a stage of hating it, seems to depend heavily on the product you use.

As always though, ensure your router's firmware is upto date - there could be an issue with the previous firmware ! :D

just wanted to note, the more encryption you have for your wireless the less distance your signal will go. I use to use the max my router would do but I kept haveing problems with it droping out. Ended up with going with WEP. Just be aware that if you have people around you that know what they are doing it takes all of a few mins to get onto your wireless, of course if there are people around with no encryption at all you got a better chance of them going to the easiest one.

Also know its simple but may want to check that you have the SSID and keyphrase typed in correctly. It can do what you said it was doing if you have something typed in incorrectly. (this is from the way wireless works, you always connect to a router then the router checks if you have the proper encryption (settings/keyphrase)) This makes it look like its connecting and then dropping and restarting again.

As Thunderstuck said. it takes all but 30-40secs , if that to hack into wep system. For all trouble/slownest of it. it's not worth turning on.

IF your router has options like . Only certain Mac address can be connected. thats way more secure. This is how I setup my linksys. I'm using hacked up firmware, special ant. for greater distance (suppose to do like 1-2miles)

MAC address of course can be spoofed/changed, but they would have to find the ones you gave access too.

Yeah, I've already got Mac address limiting on. Also no SSID broadcast. But if people really want to go through the trouble of all that mess, thats fine. I have nothing of worth, except bandwidth. And that (where I live) isn't worth it, cause the house closest me to me, atleast 400ft away. and NOT in LOS with my router, tons of shit in the way. So, yeah, I guess if someone was sitting in my driveway with a laptop cracking my WEP....whatever lol. My concern is basically people stealing bandwidth....and even not too concerned about that...

Wow, that was horribly written. :(

r2h

lol got the idea though, personaly i'd do what i did and just stick it on wep 128 with strong password (2 capitial letters, 2 alpha-numeric, 2 lowercase, and at the very least 8 long)

*shrug*

dunno about where you guys are, but here people dont even bother if they see a secured network, so 64bit WEP is all thats needed to keep the drive-by's out.

lol got the idea though, personaly i'd do what i did and just stick it on wep 128 with strong password (2 capitial letters, 2 alpha-numeric, 2 lowercase, and at the very least 8 long)

*shrug*

dunno about where you guys are, but here people dont even bother if they see a secured network, so 64bit WEP is all thats needed to keep the drive-by's out.

while I doubt anyone will bother hacking your wireless routers, unless you have real 10mbit connection or better.

Don't think cause you have 64-bit or 128bit or any version of WEP makes you secure at all. Anyone with half brain thats trying hack wireless routers will be able to hack it in seconds.

Oh, I agree. I use to do it on my linux laptop on campus lol. There is a wealth of free internet around there. Wireless security is laughable at best.

And if you read what I said, you will realise that no-one will bother around here if they see it as a secured network.

I work in the IT field, have done so for 7yrs, so I definatley know how easy it is for someone to gain access to a WEP system.

But like I said, no-one seems to bother with it, so why worry ?

I want to know what kind of tools you guys are using to get into these encrypted networks. Be interesting to see how vulnerable my wireless network is.

Fry.

I was just thinking the same thing. We alway here stories about how easy this stuff is to get around, but even with a strong 8-character password, it would take a brute force cracking software months to get in.

airsnort i think one is called. it's been a while since I played with the software, I can almost always find an open wireless net wereever I am.