What not to do when using MQ2 aka, how not to look like a newb.

Its easy to get complacent about alot of aspects of MQ2. Even just having the map all the time you can almost forget that other people dont see the things you see.

Thank you for this thread, its a good reminder not to let that complacency set in!

Thats one of the things I like about patch days, gives me the chance to play without MQ2 and remind myself what others dont see that I do. I am pretty new at this and I found if I see something that looks strange best not to say anything about it. The fireworks things in PoK are a good example.

Be the first guy to chime in with exactly what a certain focus effect does every single time.

As JJ said, this info is pretty readily available for most effects on lucy etc... but i love sitting it out and waiting for someone to try and define some obscure effect in gen chat, then, just for shits and giggles, I will ask them where they found that info in a tell, hahaha

You know what every NPC's namecolor is right?
Ummm, isn't it whatever they con?

It's been so long since I've bothered playing without maps, i don't even remember what the default color is, but i ahve all names turned off now anyways, mine only pop up if i target someone or an NPC.

really happened

dumbasszerker says in raid "no way soandso did better dps then me your parser is trash"

dumbasszerker says in guild "plugin mq2dps"

never forget the / !!! and set default chat to go to a random chat room not /say or /guild just to be safe

Ya, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't all parsers be a violation of the EULA via third part software? and for that matter, raid tools too? ya know, the ones that officers use to bid out loots?

Haha, my laptop lagged once when typing and I said "zone westkorlach" in lobby once, was 4 months ago so I guess I got lucky. Boy did that make me cringe though!

Sadly, I have done things like this in say a time or two, before I learned how to eliminate my lag, it sucked! lost a good friend that way!

Oh yea don't post screenshots with your LDR showing on the guild web news page.

Isn't there a plugin in the loader now specifically for this? disables all MQ visuals before a screenshot?

If you mean the top of the pillars in the guild hall, that's not a dead give away. I had a friend CotH me up there back before I had Warp and then set my bind point-with Teleport Bind, I take groups there all the time and get bind requests from about half of the people who come along. Right now there are probably 50+ people on my server who are bound there...

I do believe you guys are speaking of the guild LOBBY, not the guild hall, especially since the guild hall is no longer a bindable zone.

Finally, I will add mine:

Ever since the onslaught of the in game voice chat, well, lets say I learned to turn my EQ sounds off or WAY down quick, cuz when homer chimes in and you are in group chat with your buddies, and they ask what that was, it only lasts so long to say it was the Simpsons on TV, and when it triggers again about as fast as you can say that 2 more times because of a couple of guides, well, it's a dead giveaway it's not the TV!

parsers do not interact with anything in game, all they do is read a log file that is on your hard drive. So they do not change or modify anything. That should exclude them from being considered EULA breaches.

Don't ask in guild chat why the chat in your chat boxes disappears while running through TBS :p Was really cool that 3 people in my guild sent me a tell explaining it was a MQ thing.

One thing I learned not to do is type commands. I accidentally typed in /gu ?warp t and thankfully nobody said a thing to but prob gave it way. I use hotkeys now for the commands I use the most.

Thats one of the things I like about patch days, gives me the chance to play without MQ2 and remind myself what others dont see that I do.

I can't even bring myself to log in until the compile is done. I did maybe 3 times since early 2009. I know you can still play, technically, but just the tedious junk, hitting taunt/kick, running across zones, no map, etc. makes it a 'chore' to play. Kind of like being Superman and losing your powers every once in a while. Maybe I'm burning out and MQ2 is the only thing keeping me playing, not sure.

I can't even bring myself to log in until the compile is done. I did maybe 3 times since early 2009. I know you can still play, technically, but just the tedious junk, hitting taunt/kick, running across zones, no map, etc. makes it a 'chore' to play. Kind of like being Superman and losing your powers every once in a while. Maybe I'm burning out and MQ2 is the only thing keeping me playing, not sure.

Takes the tedious parts of the game away. If MQ goes, EQ for me goes as well.

Don't have autotrade up while you have a toon afk in the lobby or anywhere public for that matter.

I saw someone /say /stick once ... poor guy got raked through the coals in the guild for it. Stupid thing was, he was a necro lol.

Here is one I have to resist with all of my willpower:

When some retard stands outside on Tryanont and you guys get waves and waves of adds, you technically can't call him out on it unless you're in his group :p

Well, knowing how many mobs are left in a building or along the path is perfectly reasonable but just to be sure, you should always include uncertainty in your speech like, "Hurry, it shouldn't have repopped yet." Or, "IIRC, there's 3-4 adds in that room."

And with item prices and tribute values, "Ohhh I remember that tributes for a lot."

autotrade

I had auto trade on once, and some dude gave plat to my enchanter while I was running thru and I did not notice.

So he gave me attuide, I gave him an earful, then noticed I accepted the trade. Wonder if he figured it out?

I had auto trade on once, and some dude gave plat to my enchanter while I was running thru and I did not notice.

So he gave me attuide, I gave him an earful, then noticed I accepted the trade. Wonder if he figured it out?

Screw him lol. If he didn't ask you for buffs and instead just tried to give you plat to start the deal instead, then you thank him for the plat and move on. One of my biggest pet peeves as a buff caster is people that open your transaction window without asking for buffs first when I'm not announcing that I'm casting for donations or whatever.

ive seen our raid leader accidentally /say /who tormax npc on progression when raiding. I sent him a /t lol, but not many people seemed to notice.

Having the boss targetted across zone. Lots used to do this

Accidentally hitting your warp hotkey instead of something else. (and mine was on Shift-0, 2!)

Pet owner names in screenshots

parsers do not interact with anything in game, all they do is read a log file that is on your hard drive. So they do not change or modify anything. That should exclude them from being considered EULA breaches.

Thanks JJ, cuz tbh, I've never actually read the whole thing anyway! haha

Oh, and, on the pet subject, even KNOWING who a pet's owner was, until, well, haven't they added this feature to the game recently?

And while on that subject, is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that many of the coolest "new" features over the years added to the game/user interface somehow had a predecessor in MQ? I will just leave the question at that, and let everyone chime in on what kinds of features I'm speaking of, especially since I've only been playing for about 4 years now and I know there where plenty before that.

Thanks JJ, cuz tbh, I've never actually read the whole thing anyway! haha

Oh, and, on the pet subject, even KNOWING who a pet's owner was, until, well, haven't they added this feature to the game recently?

And while on that subject, is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that many of the coolest "new" features over the years added to the game/user interface somehow had a predecessor in MQ? I will just leave the question at that, and let everyone chime in on what kinds of features I'm speaking of, especially since I've only been playing for about 4 years now and I know there where plenty before that.

its hard to say EQ stole them from MQ2, but you can say other games used enhanced features of MQ2 making EQ copy off those games like wow