What is MQ2 GOOD FOR?

Lotto dude

Reaction score
The only thing I have done thus far is use MQ2 with MQ2Bot. There seems to be a lot of prestige jargon on this forum. I don't know if it is intentional or simply the way people really discuss Everquest Macros when they are "in the know." I can tell you that it frustrates new people from attempting to learn what is actually being discussed when the topic is clouded in technical terms.

Most people don't need Everquest or the macros that may be used to play the game. It might be a good idea to be kinder and gentler with the few interested prospects that may pass your way.

There is a huge learning curve to MQ2. The whole reason for starting this site in the first place was to help people not have to worry about compiling there own plugins and keeping them up to date, which was a huge pain. That did help cut down a lot on the learning curve for one aspect.

We've tried to keep all plugins as well documented as possible with links on front page, and I did start doing videos for some of them, which I do need to take back up again.

But to answer your question, MQ2 is really about automation. Giving you the ability to automate anything you do ingame. We used to have a huge core of people who only reason for using MQ2 was active hacks (/warping /zoning) but with the crack down on those hacks a few years ago, that killed off that part of the userbase. Viewing mobs on your map used to be hugely popular and was the sole reason I started using MQ2 in the first place, to see if spawns were up.

The /macro language is very powerful for helping automate anything you want, and pretty simple to learn once you get the basics down. We've had quite a few people come through who knew next to nothing about programming, and end up becoming a master of it. With MQ2Bot though it has made macros for quite a few people obsolete.

There is always more we can do to help make things easier for users, your best bet though is to ask some questions, and someone can normally point you in the right direction.

Q

Thank you, Fry! This is the kind of information I was looking for.

So, it seems that you are saying that MQ2Bot is the main reason why people currently use MacroQuest. If that is the case, then there is a problem.

Pete has been deployed by the military and is unable to play Everquest at this time due to poor internet service, so he has difficulty testing his own repairs to MQ2Bot. The bot has several serious issues that need to be repaired and tested. For example, it crashes whenever a pet class heals its pet. Thus, MQ2Bot is currently useless for SK, Necro, Mage, BL, and Enchanter.

Secondly, it seems you are saying that the main reason why people previously used MacroQuest was to automate the search for named mobs in order to get the drops needed for epics. The problem with this is that many veteran EQ players say that epics are obsolete and a waste of time.

I am probably jumping to the wrong conclusion, however, if Pete's bot is the main reason why many people still use MacroQuest, then perhaps some veteran macro writers could help him test his program and provide suggestions for repairs.

Please don't get me wrong. I am just making a few suggestions. I am not trying to tell anyone what they have to do.

mq2 has been around almost a decade. my bot plugin is a few months old. only a handful of people use it compared to the number that use mq2. most people use mq2 for the in game map and maybe some random plugins they like. others like to macro their box toons. it is quite a leap to say someone uses mq2 solely for a plugin barely out of beta.

additionally, macros and plugins arent the same beast. they arent same code at all. they are about as equivalent as c++ and python or java.

dont let the green tag fool you, i am a dev because i have a 7 year long track record of contributing macros and just wrote my first plugin ever (mq2bot). Not because I know what I am doing or am in any other way affiliated with mq2 or mmobugs. I am a newb at c++ and have never written a plugin before in my life. they let me have the green tag so i stopped harassing them about changes I wanted made and could do it myself instead!

Not to knock anyone's work but I doubt most people use MQ just to use MQ2Bot. Plus the map do a LOT more than facilitate epic questing! If you want to know more about what people use MQ for in the game, read the forums lol.

We are trying to solve Pete's problems with fixing outstanding issues with his plugin. We have got him back ingame, and I see hes solved a few lingering issues.

If for some reason Pete could no longer maintain the plugin, htw or someone else could help track down these problems, it takes time though, htw already has a ton of MQ2 coding jobs on his plate with little time on his hands. None of us can support ourselves full time off MQ2, we all have other jobs to keep a roof over our heads.

EQMule has been a unbelievably awesome for the MQ2 community recently with how fast he gets releases out after patches, quite a fair chunk of MMOBugs subscription funds go to help support him being able to put his real job on hold, to do fast releases. The amount of work required is staggering. There are not many people in this world that can do it, let alone get it done within 14 hours time and time again.

Crash problems and bugs suck, and can take us some time to fix due to the nature of EQ ever changing. Just keep informing us each release thread about the problem, and it will get solved in the end (Unless your plugin of choice is MQ2Navigation, the bane of my existence). Your MQ2Bot problem will get solved, just please be patient. If you need it in a rush, try Pete's Bot macro, it should do the same thing, without the current crash problem.

What do people use MQ2 for? To cheat! :cool:

You can automate nearly anything in the game.

A better question back would be what do you want to get out of it ?

If your just starting I would suggest starting with the wiki here and then reading the manual over at the MQ2 site. If you don't understand parts of it skip over it. The more time you put into learning what it can do the more you will get out of it.

As pointed out there is a huge learning curve. I've been using the program for 7+ years and I'm still finding out things it can do.

Pete and MMObugs just spoiled everyone by making it easy :eek:

Last edited:
The bulk of people I know that use MQ2 use it for automation. Sometimes as simple as combining things for trade skills, or as advanced as running missions, tasks, or farming with full groups fully autonomous.

Personally, I use it for character automation, as well as semi-automation of items while playing manually. Using MQ2Melee, I never have to cast a clicky or buff on myself, it's done for me, then I can focus on doing dps, or healing or whatever it is I'm doing. When I click attack manually, all of my nukes/combat buffs happen automatically. Tis is all without any macro or MQ2Bot plugin.

I do use a few macro's to automate characters too, which are piece together Frankenstein macro's mostly made from Pete's older Macro Builds set, which turned into bot.mac, and eventually MQ2Bot.

I also create my own automation macro's for many things, most of which I do not share, cause they are silly. (Positioning my characters when AFK in the guild hall, stuff like that).

There are so many plugins, and macro's, and things that MQ2 can do it's hard to say what people "mainly" use it for.

You will most likely need more than 1 account to experience the awesomeness that is MQ2. The more accounts you have, the better MQ2 becomes.

The easiest way to learn about MQ2 is by reading the Wiki on this website and over at the original macroquest2.com website. Then start off by building very simple macros. The more you read and the more you work on your customization the better you'll become.

This thing has been around for 13 or 14 years now so it is more than just MQ2Bot.

Good read so har. Ive actually spent the last couple hours helping a new subscriber to this site figure out MQ2. Which he didnt refer my name for! 4th person in 4month! But! Im at the pool now. Play on MQers!

You will most likely need more than 1 account to experience the awesomeness that is MQ2. The more accounts you have, the better MQ2 becomes.

The easiest way to learn about MQ2 is by reading the Wiki on this website and over at the original macroquest2.com website. Then start off by building very simple macros. The more you read and the more you work on your customization the better you'll become.

This thing has been around for 13 or 14 years now so it is more than just MQ2Bot.

I would disagree with this on the first part of having more accounts. Start with just 1, learn what it actually does so you can expand and know what you are doing.

When I say learn, I mean more then just bot.mac or MQ2Bot

could not use a macro the entire time you use mq and still get more than your monies worth... OP probably meant to post that he was having issues with bot.mac or mq2bot but decided to lump that in generically with the entire mmo compile or something.

lol

To give you an example, I use MQ2 ONLY for 2 reasons. the map and to get rid of fog. I FUCKING HATE FOG and i pay every month so i can disable fog :)
I aint the sharpest tool in these forums but all i have to do is ask and the people in the forums are glad to help. its a cool website with cool people.

I can say I have used MQ2 for years even way before MMOBugs when you had to compile it yourself or hell even using showeq and getting the offsets.

MQ2/MMOBugs offers a huge amount of things that can be done and some of the options are slowly being implemented by the EQ Devs via pocket clerics/melee/caster aka mercs or even with the new expansion of loot keep/destroy to so many things.

The one thing I always do is go down and look at ALL the plugins. There maybe some you haven't seen or used or even thought about that maybe will help expand some of your experience using MQ2. People over the years have put in a lot of time into this and helping out the community and I for one are very much grateful.

The more and more you use MQ2 overtime you will be stressed on patch days you dont have it and can't live without it. Try and play the game without MQ2 for a month. I can almost bet you will launch it to automate some little task you used to use it for or look for a quest npc that you can't find.

As far as MQ2Bot or bot macro, Pete has been very helpful providing a one macro/plugin for any character class. I know he has done the best he can with the time he has and I for one have donated to him. He didn't have to release it out to us but he did it to share. I remember in the past I had to write my macros for each class which got very difficult to update every time and hoping the ones I didn't write the author continued to provide updates as much as they can.

Anyways I'll leave it at that.

So, it seems that you are saying that MQ2Bot is the main reason why people currently use MacroQuest. If that is the case, then there is a problem.

How much money do you pay pete to keep his bot updated a month?

The best part of mmobugs is JJ ripping into someone's ass, as I reflect on JJ over the years and all the ass ripping he has dished out I have to say priceless although he's a good boy now.

Not much to add on this thread if you play eq and like to cheat MMObugs is the king hands down, and the people here are awesome and everyone knows it and the information we have here is priceless.

To give you an example, I use MQ2 ONLY for 2 reasons. the map and to get rid of fog. I FUCKING HATE FOG and i pay every month so i can disable fog :)
I aint the sharpest tool in these forums but all i have to do is ask and the people in the forums are glad to help. its a cool website with cool people.

This made me think. Is there also a way to block forced particles other than fog?

I absolutely love mmobugs and use it for a few things. My top 10.

1. Maps
2. Tradeskills.... I hate sitting there pushing a button all day for skill ups
3. Skill ups like spells
4. Character automation because mercs suck
5. I use Pete's plugin and devecoder bots for my bard especially
6. To buy and sell characters. Player auctions is awful
7. I buy krono here
8. Of all the years here the base people are the best. I have never been ripped off and we all treat each other well... JJ may rip your ass cause you screwed up and didn't do some homework. But hey you deserved it in the end.
9. We all love to cheat in some way
10. I know I'm pissing on sony in some way

Love mq2

Even before mmobugs (which, are some of the brightest people I've ever met) there was mq2. Ask a questions, ANY question.. GET FLAMED.. Pay attention, read, use search. Learn to know the question, before you seek the answer. Play the game and learn how the mechanics work. Aggro is a bitch and will KILL you. Bots are for pussies. =)

EDIT: Get to know Alt+Tab ..

Last edited:
I for one

Would like to thank any and ALL people that Contribute to this site as it has made EQ fun again for me. I would have quit some time ago and not have come back if not for MMObugs. AND Pete I sent you an Email ;p reply when you can please good Sir...