What Gaming Laptop

diamondmine

Reaction score
Well it seems that my XPS is done, as in Dun son. So I think that I need to purchase something new that will last a couple of years. I haven't bought a new computer in the last 5 years and I don't know what to get.

I have always had real good luck with dells so I was thinking of dell or Alienware but totally open to all suggestions.

I would like a computer that is able to run 3 eq accounts. If anyone has good suggestions and what I should be looking for such as processors, or graphics cards and ram please fill me in!

Thank in advance.

graphics cards are stupid expensive to upgrade later. so get a near top of line graphics card, a 17 inch high def display + whatever resolution you want. and make sure you get least a gen 2 ssd as a second drive, if not a gen 3. and 8 gigs of ram. it's cheap to upgrade those 2 from newegg.. will set you back maybe $300 for 4 gig of ram and nice SSD. but with 8 gig, SSD gen 2, and geforce 9800 gtm, i can box 6 instances without lag on my laptop. and ive had 8 up before running out of accounts i had access too.

Well it seems that my XPS is done, as in Dun son. So I think that I need to purchase something new that will last a couple of years. I haven't bought a new computer in the last 5 years and I don't know what to get.

I have always had real good luck with dells so I was thinking of dell or Alienware but totally open to all suggestions.

I would like a computer that is able to run 3 eq accounts. If anyone has good suggestions and what I should be looking for such as processors, or graphics cards and ram please fill me in!

Thank in advance.

I am not sure what's wrong with your current laptop, but I usually reload my OS once a year and it keeps my equipment running a peak performance. Usually that will address any sort of performance issue if your PC "used" to be good.

As far as laptops goes, most anyone will tell you that Alienware is good, but way over priced. I would recommend going to www.powernotebooks.com if you want a custom built laptop for a fair price.

www.ibuypower.com is also a site that seems to get a ton of good reviews. I haven't personally bought a laptop from their yet, but I would definitely consider shopping laptops and doing price comparisons.

If you can managed to wait till cyber Monday (Monday after Thanksgiving) or even Black Friday, you will get a much better price on almost any laptop. I would recommend rebuilding your alienware and waiting till then if you want to get the most laptop for your money.

Last edited:

Thank in advance.

I am not sure what's wrong with your current laptop, but I usually reload my OS once a year and it keeps my equipment running a peak performance. Usually that will address any sort of performance issue if your PC "used" to be good.

As far as laptops goes, most anyone will tell you that Alienware is good, but way over priced. I would recommend going to www.powernotebooks.com if you want a custom built laptop for a fair price.

www.ibuypower.com is also a site that seems to get a ton of good reviews. I haven't personally bought a laptop from their yet, but I would definitely consider shopping laptops and doing price comparisons.

If you can managed to wait till cyber Monday (Monday after Thanksgiving) or even Black Friday, you will get a much better price on almost any laptop. I would recommend rebuilding your alienware and waiting till then if you want to get the most laptop for your money.

The last laptop that I bought was a Dell M1730. That was 5 years ago. I remember being able to box 4 on the computer with no problem. That is still the laptop that I use now, but it is slow and there is something wrong with the motherboard because the battery will not charge, so I am sure that is effecting performance to some degree. With one character I do ok, but there are times when it lags like crazy. If I happen to have 2 characters up I cannot move.

I am all for formatting and saying fuck it, reloading everything and starting over. I think that is what I will do today.

Would I just take this to one of the regular companys, Geek Squad, Firedog - Well I think I would use firedog, they have them in the Navy Exchanges and it will save in Taxes that way.

I really appreciate all of the input!!

graphics cards are stupid expensive to upgrade later. so get a near top of line graphics card, a 17 inch high def display + whatever resolution you want. and make sure you get least a gen 2 ssd as a second drive, if not a gen 3. and 8 gigs of ram. it's cheap to upgrade those 2 from newegg.. will set you back maybe $300 for 4 gig of ram and nice SSD. but with 8 gig, SSD gen 2, and geforce 9800 gtm, i can box 6 instances without lag on my laptop. and ive had 8 up before running out of accounts i had access too.

I second this. Since you're goal is to play and render 3D games, you'll need something better than integrated graphics. So, you'll want to get the best that you can as modifications in this department is limited and a hassle. Ram and storage, however, depending on manufacturers and their models, can be easy or a pain.

Someone I know just got an Alienware M18x and can run EQ just fine. I've only loaded up to four, which ran without lag or any issues at all (of course I could be extremely nitpicky about it comparing to my desktop but case in point, laptop ran the four just fine).

playing games on a laptop makes me cry

I am in the navy and I travel a lot. Laptops are almost Key for me.

Thanks, in taking the above advice. I bought a new HD for 40 bucks at BB and I will do a new install. The purchase around thanksgiving. Anything to save a buck

Put a new HD in, clean install, no bs items, deleted things to make it a barebones instal. Everything improved 100%. Now, I need to get a new motherboard from dell to fix the power issue and everything should be good to go for a while. Thanks for the advice. I didnt realize that the HD could cause so many problems.