UI problems

BlueBug

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem that I hope somebody can help me with or maybe point me in the right direction.

Since the last patch I've been having some problems with my UIs for all of my toons, more a PITA than anything else. I was able to fix most of the problems- the buff window changing size and not showing up, the players window and target window doing the same thing, by deleting my custom window XML file and using default :mad: No biggie, makes for an ugly UI but I can live and play with that.
Heres whats happening now, I just got a melee toon and DLed different players, group, target, and hotkey windows. They worked at 1st but then I tried another target window. Thats what got my UI all goofy. The players window and target window are now too small and only a portion of the display shows up, I can only see liike the top 1/4 of whats supposed to show. SO, being the idiot I am I check the sony sight for fixes and didnt understand anything. I then just deleted my <UI_charactername_servername.ini> file thinking I should just do that cause I read it someplace. Welp, that made it worse. When I logged back in ALL of the UI windows, on default where like that. I tried to fix it by deleting the default UI files and repatching but it didnt change. The custom UI files I had are working on my other toon but not on the one I fucked up. I have dedicated EQ folders for each seperate toon too if that makes any difference.
Can anyone translate how to fix this? The info on the sony sight is WAY over my head. IT looked like greek to me.

Thanks in advance guys n gals.

BB

Last edited:
Even tho this isn't the best way, it may be the easiest and give you an idea of what to 'fix' next time the UI gets changed (by patch, or missing char. setting files).
In the main EQ directory, you will have files named "UI_(charname)_(server)" that keep the settings for each character at last logout. Edit / open the file you want (will have to repeat for each character too this way), and it looks like a whole bunch of this :

[BuffWindow]
INIVersion=1
XPos1024x768=782
YPos1024x768=8
Width1024x768=241
Height1024x768=60
BGTint.red=255
BGTint.green=255
BGTint.blue=255
BGType=1
Fades=true
Delay=500
Duration=500
Alpha=255
FadeToAlpha=255
Locked=false

Manually edit what parts you need and save that, then relog into game (be all the way out to desktop for most reliable results). The key lines are the ones that say :

[BuffWindow]
XPos1024x768=782
YPos1024x768=8
Width1024x768=241
Height1024x768=60

The [UI_piece] could be hotbuttons, player window or chat windows. The XPOS_resolution=XXX and YPOS ones are where on the screen the window will start to draw the box(x,y format being topleft for 0,0). The WIDTH_resolution=XXX and HEIGHT ones control the size of the window (in an x,y # of pixels). And yes, there can be negative numbers, effectively throwing your box pieces off the screen, so reset them to a middle # if need (like half of your resolution... ie 1024x768 screen should try 600x, 300y if it's too negative to find).
See if any of your characters have settings you like , and copy those #'s down. Otherwise, just try diff. values for the Width&Heighth values until you're satified.

Yes, it's a PITA to do this until find what u like, but hopefully makes it possible for you to do now. And at worst case, you can delete the UI_charname_server, and start over w/ some #'s that are close to you liking.

Very cool CK. This worked and was much less of A PITA than deleting all my toons UI...servername files. I did what you said, took the munbers from another 'puter that had the F'ed up boxes the right size and it worked like a charm.

Appreciate it.
BB

how about when 2 boxin the dang LAA window comes up sometimes. That pisses me off

how about when 2 boxin the dang LAA window comes up sometimes. That pisses me off

I'm not sure if this might be a reason, but I remember old EQ when the auto-attack used to be just the A key (or was it the Q key.. or both at one point? LOL). I forgot to hit ENTER before typing and started to type a word with the A in it, all while having a NPC (the banker mostly from memory) and next I'd be dead from him beating me senseless for attacking him.
Anyhow... all that babbling just to make a mention to try changing the key-combo that brings up the leadership window (since it's just the simple L key). Maybe make it Ctrl-Shift-L (or whatever works for you), to see if something is triggering the L key when you box or macro ?

I also remember rechecking all my quick-key-combos from using Teamspeak and the ~ key (it would swap my target each time I talked on my box'd comp, and that would really ruin a good mezzed mob when I nuked w/out noticing the different target soon enough, LOL).

If it's something else, I'm not sure....never had a leadership window popup problem (but there's always next patch to mess things up for me, hahaha).