Stupid SATA Drives...

Wendel

Reaction score
Okay, my seagate drive died :(

I've read alot of good reviews pertaining to Western Digital Black series...

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm definatley not getting the Raptor series, I've put them in many CAD boxes and they have a high death rate as well...

I almost thought about a SSD, but the price is still a bit too much...

Cheers!

I am partial to WD 500gb Blacks. As for the failure rate on VR, I have 4 and not had any issue with them.

Yeah, I've maybe just been unlucky with them, but I've had 4 of 10 fail.
These are engineering machines, though, so they get a really good work out every day.

I think I'm going to go for the 1TB WD black... I can pick it up locally for like 99 bucks... canadian dollars to, so that's only like 82 bucks US.

Not a bad deal, as long as it doesn't make that tick tick tick sound 3 months from now lol

only issue I know of with the WD 1tb is they do have raid issues.

I've had raptors running in raid for a couple years, they are decent. Of course, they tend to run a bit hot (expected), so proper ventilation & ambient/case temp controls are important.

Otherwise, WD drives I've had have been OK. Mid-range I'd say. Worst ones I've had are maxtors. Best ones have been seagates.

All just MHO, and based on my own usage over the years.

htw

As someone who both works in IT, and goes through a a large amount of storage peronsally, I pretty much no longer have any favourites, I just go for the cheapest.

I used to be a fan of seagates, but I've had so many fail in the last 5 years its rediculous. Nowdays I mostly buy the cheapest (normally hitachi and samsung atm) and just RAID everything for redundancy.

I've had raptors ruin my RAID too.