Soe becoming daybreak Game company

ya but i cant seam to think of any pay to win games that are still around

Maybe not like EQ but they are where the money is now . . .

ya but i cant seam to think of any pay to win games that are still around

The new model is not a traditional role playing game like EQ (per se) but rather the "app style" games on tablets and phones that are now the money makers in the gaming industry. Hay Day, Clash of Clans, and Game of War are spending millions on marketing, which suggests their model has a pretty decent foothold:

How do 'Clash of Clans' and 'Game of War' make money? - New York News

Even platform games like GTA5 and COD are now selling in game items that make the game easier for the players or allow them to customize their in game items - all AFTER you have spent $60 to buy the game.

It would not be hard at all to adapt that model to a PC based game, and EQ has already started in that direction with free to play and the emergence of in game items in the "station store" (new name to be determined).

I'm not entirely sure that is bad. I think it might be a good thing. If I had to guess, they are probably making a statement to all existing employees to get their act together and what better way to do so then to fire the 2 most notable faces of the franchise Georgeson and Carison. They don't offer to much loss to the company as their jobs never had to much detail oriented work to substantially effect daily operations. Their value was purely marketing to the most extent. Its easier to get rid of the administrative people then people who have years of technical experience developing a game.

A couple of years back we acquired a smaller company and we did the same exact thing to set an example to the former employees. We laid off 3 of senior leaders in the company to set an example that no one's job was secure. Yet we didn't really fire anyone else for the most part, unless we found to many FTEs being allocated in a certain department that didn't show much productivity increase.

It was to make a statement and also we didn't feel that most senior leaders would be able to mesh well with those 3.

If they got rid of Smedley then you can expect alot of changes would be taking place, with those 2 getting fired I doubt much change is coming down the pipeline for EQ.

The best way for them to make money is micro transactions.
Which is where I will bet EQ is headed. Marketplace is over priced and under utilized.

For example a change of char models and npc model could lead to "dress up" models.
How many of us wouldn't pay say a dollar per slot to dress our pets, mercs, illusions, and selves?

Skins for guild housing zones, weather controls.
I would love a to see things like Winter and Desert themes for housing zones.
I can see other things like different layouts etc.

There is a fortune in art alone to be had.

Sony was also against pay for power. There is no saying the new owners will hold to that. Slot X on your armor to add 10ac for 300sc etc.

There is HUGE money making potential in all that.
Basically I see them implementing whatever has the least cost and most profit.
I see a lot less of being true to "The Vision" because that isn't going to make them the most money. The Vision is dead long live The Profit!

But that is all just my opinion....

They are to dumb to redo existing models, they don't want to invest in it, and don't realize the potential volume of the micro-transactions they are missing out on from offering more skins, textures etc. See my post HERE

You are right there are quite a few items in marketplace that are ridiculously overpriced they are missing out on a huge range of people buying the items. Big bags is the perfect example. They are loosing a huge amount of revenue by overpricing these as their volume sales are low. These idiots don't understand making revenue by selling in more volume at a lower price.

But in the end does it matter to them, probably not, after all its just a pixel thats auto generating revenue for them, with no overhead cost except the initial creation of those bags --- just like everything else in marketplace...

Last edited:
I'm not shocked. It was a waste of money for what he was doing. Basically all everquest lead producers (eq,eq2,eqn,eqnl) would report to him and he would report to smed. All they did was eliminate a middle man.

I see they eliminated one eq2 developer, if only they could get rid of some of the old timer developers for EQ and bring in some new blood, but that would be a massive overhaul retraining, which I doubt they will do. Same as the new character model investment they don't realize the long term investment, with new creativity from newly hired developers/coders, Dzarn and Hludwolf are the perfect example of this.

So, most of the EQNext team, at least the management side, as well as some of the leads for other games, including EQ2 but not sure yet about EQ1 have all been laid off.
Smokejumper, Brasse, Amnerys, Felgon, Moorgard, Lyndro, Gnobrin are for sure gone. Domino and Dexella are for sure not gone, and Roshen was working today so likely still there. No word on Terry Micheals, or Jeff Butler or any of the EQ1 devs that I could find.

The management side is what needed to go sorry to say it. They have done a piss poor job the last 10 years.

Graphics would be a good place for them to make money.
However, there are other areas within a microtransaction structure to make money. I still think it would be their smartest move.
The fact they plan on developing for Xbox almost confirms this in my eyes.
MS has been doing well with their add-ons and novelties on Live.

I don't think they are leaning toward keeping things as they were.
So yes I still believe a model upgrade may happen now with the change.
Have to remember the people that said no before aren't in charge anymore.

All the layoffs are in line with what I expected.
Fire "The Vision".
The other thing a lot of those people had in common is salary.
A common practice of business is fire the oldest (both age and time with the company) members of your staff as they usually make the most money.
There is very often people that can do the job for less money.
I hate to say it but people are change resistant, and changes are easier this way.

I expect there to be changes in 6 months or so after they have had time to get the people they want in place, and have time to implement what they are planning.
I am apprehensive about it but I am expecting a lot of changes in the next year.

I welcome the changes to be honest. We all know the vision for EQ and EQ 2 were wrong. Neither games community is happy and it was about time they bring in new management.

Yep. Also with those layoffs, majority being EQN, could possibly mean EQN is getting the axe. I didn't like those cartoon looking models anyways, I'm not interested in playing a WoW/minecraft blend.

If they continue the EQN project, hope they have a better vision, if they don't I hope they swallow up quite a few team members for EQ1.

But it looks as if, they will revamp EQN to be a mobile/crossplatform game, as it is currently only sleigh-ted to be a PC release game, I'd guess with the restructuring they are going to push for mobile/crossplatform for games being developed in the future.

Yep. Also with those layoffs, majority being EQN, could possibly mean EQN is getting the axe. I didn't like those cartoon looking models anyways, I'm not interested in playing a WoW/minecraft blend.

If they continue the EQN project, hope they have a better vision, if they don't I hope they swallow up quite a few team members for EQ1.

But it looks as if, they will revamp EQN to be a mobile/crossplatform game, as it is currently only sleigh-ted to be a PC release game, I'd guess with the restructuring they are going to push for mobile/crossplatform for games being developed in the future.

They were thinking cross platform the whole time. They're releasing PS2 on PS4 and if that is a success they might do it on xbox one now. Also it was never said EQN would not be a ps4 game also just that it would be released on the PC first. The difference now is they can release on both consoles instead of just the ps4.

Excited for Change!!

I am actually excited for the change that is about to come. Let's face it, EQ has not been the same since PoP. During PoP new games came to the market and at the same time the game had a major revamp that blocked content for many many guilds trying to survive. Only the major guilds that were able to FIF mobs spawning advanced. With the introduction of Instanced zones this helped but the damage was done. Then camp Uqua. Worst zone in the game that led to more leaving.

They fired some of the developers - the guys with the ideas. They did not fire the talent, the coders, and the people that make the game run.

Providing they listen to the community, change the game for what makes sense for the community as a whole and stop the stupid nerfs that caused many people to change classes and quit the game then we have a chance to revive the game.

One of the problems is its hard to bring in new blood to the game. When was the last time you saw an everquest advertisement? During the movie "The New Guy?" That is the last time I can remember. Revamp the game some, change somethings that do not make a lot of sense and then start an advertisement campaign!

I cannot wait to see the plans instore for us in 6 months. I expect the next 6 months to be the same as we have for now.

Did you see that Negrth (Tradeskills) did not get fired? probably because the player base is happy with them!

Wow that sucks. He was actually one of the devs that did a great job, especially when he used to handle tradeskills. Jansen was the one that should have been let go, he did a piss poor job and always gave excuses.

Wow that sucks. He was actually one of the devs that did a great job, especially when he used to handle tradeskills. Jansen was the one that should have been let go, he did a piss poor job and always gave excuses.

lol hes responsible for the shitty game we play today.