Remote EQ

shadewalker

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Hey folks, got a technology question for EQ. I've got a nice custom built desktop at home, and I'm planning on getting a laptop and setting it up to connect to my desktop from wherever I am. This way, I can keep the majority of my files/applications/music on my desktop, while still having them while I'm out and about.

I'm looking for ways of running EQ remotely. I know from previous experience that I can run bots quite effectively with MQ2EQBC or MQ2IRC, but I don't know if there is a way to actually see EQ on my screen. In case it matters, I'm planning on dual booting my laptop with either XP or Vista and whichever Linux variant I end up picking.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to actually display EQ sessions that I'm running on my desktop on my laptops's screen?

you wont be able to see EQ on your laptop. Trust me i have tried. all you will get is a black screen. I have tried using pcanywhere, realvnc and one other that escapes me and none have worked. i even have a business leased line full t-1 so i know its not an upload problem.

Necroman

Outside of the standard remote desktop solutions, would it be possible to send the graphics in some other manner? I run WinEQ, which (if I remember correctly) has video capture. Would there be a way to send the video to my laptop instead of or in addition to a file. Or any other hackish ways to get this working. I mean, it doesn't sound really complicated, graphics go one way, commands go back. There's gotta be some way to make it work.

Thats a lot more bandwidth than you are currently estimating, graphics are a beast to transport over the internet. I tried most tools out there when I was messing around trying to do the same thing.

My final try was building up a linux box with Cedega and transporting my desktop over the internet (with a 2mbit up > T1 @ 1.5 mbit) and using a remote xserver tunneled through ssh and unsecured (incase it was proc usage), neither worked. Quake 2 on lowest settings barely played over the internet (frame by frame, about .5 fps).

Good luck, and if you get it somehow, I would like a full synopsis =)

Yeah, I've tried several things, too.

I have a slingbox that streams video over the internet. The biggest problem there is the delay ... go up against the wrong thing and you'll be dead before you issue your first command.

There's just no good way to do it.

you wont be able to see EQ on your laptop. Trust me i have tried. all you will get is a black screen. I have tried using pcanywhere, realvnc and one other that escapes me and none have worked. i even have a business leased line full t-1 so i know its not an upload problem.

Necroman

realvnc works just fine, I do it all the time.

steve

I'v actually been working on this even before the post was up. Was thinking the same thing of playing at work. Work wont allow install of any mmogames. I can remote in fine thats never an issue. When I do remote, I can see the screen but the fps is so bad I can see the refresh lines go down the screen when i move. I have a 20 download/20 upload fios speed and work is a t1 so I know speed is not the issue but the refresh rate. Any other suggestions?

One thing I will try tonight when I get off work. I got the Killer NIC Card m1 a long time ago when it first came out. Its suppose to help with the fps/lag issue. Ill load that in and see if it works and ill let you guys know.

Can try logmein.com

I use it, and while I wouldn't be able to do anything serious, it works for checking my trader and such.

Most remote connections refresh to slowly themselves to keep up with video game FPS and have it be playable.

web cam infront of youre monitor and eqbc to control you will not be in real time but not far off

I'v actually been working on this even before the post was up. Was thinking the same thing of playing at work. Work wont allow install of any mmogames. I can remote in fine thats never an issue. When I do remote, I can see the screen but the fps is so bad I can see the refresh lines go down the screen when i move. I have a 20 download/20 upload fios speed and work is a t1 so I know speed is not the issue but the refresh rate. Any other suggestions?

One thing I will try tonight when I get off work. I got the Killer NIC Card m1 a long time ago when it first came out. Its suppose to help with the fps/lag issue. Ill load that in and see if it works and ill let you guys know.

yeah the problem isnt somethign you can fix, the bandwidth and processing power required to do 30+fps is astronomical and any remote control pc software that can do it, does it in 2d mode. what i do is run my main on my laptop and eqbc/vnc the bots back at home. ie 2toons on one comp, 3 toons on another, then main toon on laptop from hotel, using eqbc and modbot to control the others

steve

VMWare

The latest version of vmware will support 3d gaming(I have not tested it yet) If you run vmware you can make a master desktop copy of your entire computer systems install. Then all you need to do is install the VMWare client on any pc and you can run your desktop anywhere.

What is the advantage of this? Well you can run EQ on your work PC without installing it. You install the VMware Client on your work PC. Do a Base XP / EQ install vmware image. PUt that on a 16gig USB Memory stick an fire up that desktop anytime you wish.

The vmware client is thin and you can load that on any PC. I am so tired of rebuilding my PC every 6 to 12 months I am going to make a VMWare Desktop image/copy and then just install the vmware clients to my other pc's

The advantage is every time you want to try a new software package you can open a fresh VMWare copy install the software test it then toss the copy. You can also have several sessions of that VMWare Desktops running on one PC. This is a great way for developers to all have the same toolkits and PC setups.

I don't approve of people stealing from their employer's as you are not paid to play EQ at work. But if you are just monitoring bazaar vendor stuff I don't think its a big deal.

If you get a new hire you give them a vmware desktop setup and they have everything they need to start working.

What WMWare you talking about there are like 20 different VMWare programs?

Server?, Desktop?, VDI?, Virtual Center?, ESXi?, Workstation?

workstation (or player maybe)?

edit: I use workstation mainly for running a linux test box on my desktop when I don't feel like booting my alt pc into linux. Just went over to the vmware webpage i see they've got a few more version of vmware now than I'm used to.