Raid dps help

cadman

Lifetimer
Reaction score
On class boards the top end guys generally post parses of their dps to show how cool they are, and a lot of the time they show also the raid dps, or fight duration that implies what the dps must be. I see parses where monks/zerkers hit 15k+ dps, necros 20k, wizards 20k+, etc, and raid dps of 250k +...

How? We are a tower guild, been raiding it for long enough that bp's go to twinks/apps, and almost all korafax loot rots. If we break 120k dps on even a short burn, like mindshear first accolyte, I'm amazed.

I realise you ubers are itching to reply with "well your guild member's skills suck" but that's f'ing obvious. My problem is, how do you co-ordinate burns?

Obviously group setup is important - Best geared rogues/monks with a shaman minimum, bard if there is one... Wizards/necros with a bard too, druid healer? Or cleric?

Do you have raid leader or someone call out "shaman epic now! bard whatever now! ranger whatever now! AE warcry now!" ? Or is it just done on a group by group basis?

I don't want to offend raid leaders by saying "your group makeup sucks, you should be doing xxxx", I'm trying not to offend guildmates by saying "your skill sucks, learn to play your class". I just want the guild to get better. Any ideas?

Hmmm havent seen a parse where a guild breaks 250k dps?

From berserker boards:

Crystalline Tyranont on 7/28/2009 in 93sec

Total
--- DMG: 29937156 (100%) @ 321905 dps (321905 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 434081 @4933dps

Somta
--- DMG: 2110544 (7.05%) @ 23450 dps (22694 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 3251 @163dps
--- Special: G

Wizard+ pets
--- DMG: 1959550 (6.55%) @ 23328 dps (21070 sdps)

Zerker
--- DMG: 1939044 (6.48%) @ 22035 dps (20850 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 3900 @205dps

Wizard
--- DMG: 1758114 (5.87%) @ 20684 dps (18904 sdps)

Wizard + pets
--- DMG: 1748512 (5.84%) @ 22708 dps (18801 sdps)

Rogue
--- DMG: 1735415 (5.8%) @ 19070 dps (18660 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 2925 @225dps
--- Special: G

Triality (yes they've been farming longer than almost anyone, but still)

Last edited:
just make sure your guild is makin groups correctly its all about right people in right groups below is decent group makeup on burns make sure everyone has fero+ clickin shm/bard epic to match other dps's disc's if your guild is just throwing eople in groups thats your problem

bard
bst
zerk
rog
ranger
shm

1. Group make-up
  2. MGBs / discs coordinated
  3. CC strategy

Your TOP dps people in every class should be communicating what is working with them in their class channels....parse parse parse...and post post post!

Maybe even look to reward (fastest kills).

Alot has to do with overall time spent on the event. Theoretically, the longer your engaged, the lower your overall DPS is going to be. This is of course because burns only last so long, then everyone is stuck with regular auto attack, or casters are out of mana.

That parse you posted was in the 1 1/2 minute range, easily explains why overall DPS is so high.

But why can't my guild beat it that fast, you ask? You need many high DPS classes, but also, every one of those high DPS classes need to know how to push their class to it's maximum potential. If your guild is like every guild I've ever been in, then you'll notice that some people, even with the same gear / AA's, just cannot compare to the rest of the players of their class.

just make sure your guild is makin groups correctly its all about right people in right groups below is decent group makeup on burns make sure everyone has fero+ clickin shm/bard epic to match other dps's disc's if your guild is just throwing eople in groups thats your problem

bard
bst
zerk
rog
ranger
shm

Speaking of Fero, what's up with BST refuse to buff Fero, their excuse is "I don't have Fero mem-ed, doesn't help you at all" ....

Speaking of Fero, what's up with BST refuse to buff Fero, their excuse is "I don't have Fero mem-ed, doesn't help you at all" ....

Because it wont. You get Group Bestial Alignment and Third Spire.

Ferocity has been parses extensively for the past couple of years by beastlords and it has shown that Fero gives some, but very minimal dps gains for any class. So small a gain that it would be more benefit to raid dps for beastlords to just use the mana on any nuke/dot/etc. that they have.

Personally I cast it on myself before fights where I can med up beforehand, or on a few select players that request it simply because I like them personally and know they always push themselves to the max (not that it benefits them but hey more confidence = more effort I suppose). Slackers/idiots don't get fero from me, period.

Little tidbit on Fero... the classes that ask for fero really dont need it and heres why,
Situation 1:
Lets say mob B has 100 AC
Player A has 150 Attk
Player A gets Fero and bumps up Attk to 175

Player A's DPS gain is minute because they were over Mob B's threshold, so no point in getting the buff (aka waste of mana)

Situation 2:
Lets say Mob C has 165 AC
Player A has 150 Attk
Player A gets Fero and bumps up Attk to 175

Player A's DPS gain is going to be quite substantial because the buff put Player A over Mob C's threshold (aka not waste of mana)

Situation 3:
Lets say mob D has 500 AC
Player A has 150 Attk
Player A gets Fero and bumps up to 175

Player A's DPS gain is noticeable, not much but noticeable, because the buff put Player A's Attk closer to the mobs threshold (aka might be a waste might not)

The only situation where getting Fero is really warranted is #2, and the thing is #2 & #3 are very very rare cases.

Alot has to do with overall time spent on the event. Theoretically, the longer your engaged, the lower your overall DPS is going to be. This is of course because burns only last so long, then everyone is stuck with regular auto attack, or casters are out of mana.

That parse you posted was in the 1 1/2 minute range, easily explains why overall DPS is so high.

But why can't my guild beat it that fast, you ask? You need many high DPS classes, but also, every one of those high DPS classes need to know how to push their class to it's maximum potential. If your guild is like every guild I've ever been in, then you'll notice that some people, even with the same gear / AA's, just cannot compare to the rest of the players of their class.

I agree, if everyone is not pushing it lowers the dps overall. You could have a few superstars that may get your through events, but to get that parse above everyone has to be giving 110%.

My suggestion is..make some type of parse channel and have dps join it, have someone consistently parse every fight. It puts people on the spot and makes them want to do better ;) Also, make sure you put the best dps (based on Parses! not necessarily the best geared) with bards, enchanters, shaman, etc...based on class.

And just WoW on that parse, it takes my guild 60 seconds longer to kill it

Last edited:
If you want to maximize your raid DPS, here's a few things:

Melee DPS group setup:
Bard
Shaman
Berserker
Rogue
Rogue
Rogue

You can substitute other classes in for rogues as needed. Make sure melee time discs with shaman + bard epic clicks.

Caster DPS group:
Bard
Druid
Chanter
Wizard
Wizard
Wizard

You can substitute other classes in for wizards as needed.

The things you want to coordinate are Auspice and War Cry MGBs for the raid.

I also remember something about grouping mages together, because their pet aura is bugged and can multiply their dps. Not sure how this works or what it really is. :confused:

For my guild I put up posts in each of our class forums on DPS asking each person to post what they do to maximize DPS. This allowed our top parsers to post tips without directly calling out the slackers in the guild for not know what they were doing.

I saw a significant boost in DPS afterwords and some people who had not been in the DPS parse before moved up into it.

Also after tyring it a few ways with the right people, Shaman, Bard, Rogue, Berzerker, Monk, Ranger is probably one of the best setups I find for maxing DPS.

Also...

Are your people mashing their clickies often?

I'm a bard, so my examples are from bard-land. But it applies to all classes.

For example, the bard epic clicky (doesn't need to be equpped) increases DPS for the group. Is it hit a) as often as possible b) when the bard remembers c) not too often?

You do know that bard's FE overwrites / is overwritten by a Zerk's discipline .. ?
Do they coordinate so they fill in for each other, or do they cancel out?

And does the shammy's epic hit when the FE or zerk's disc. is active? Or just any ol' time?

And that's just one type of aa for just one class.
Stuff like that makes a difference. It's a lot of detail, but mostly it's all in the category of "each player knows his class".

I would sub more monks into any full burn DPS group as I am a monk and I stay at or near of the top of all parses

For my guild I put up posts in each of our class forums on DPS asking each person to post what they do to maximize DPS. This allowed our top parsers to post tips without directly calling out the slackers in the guild for not know what they were doing.

I saw a significant boost in DPS afterwords and some people who had not been in the DPS parse before moved up into it.

Also after tyring it a few ways with the right people, Shaman, Bard, Rogue, Berzerker, Monk, Ranger is probably one of the best setups I find for maxing DPS.

Cuda is right about the group makeup and as far as not calling out people, that may be the problem. Don't be afraid to call people out for suckin. It doesn't have to be an OMG, WTF are you retarded??? but a simple hey, what's going on, why are you parsing so low, we need to work on getting your dps up never hurt anyone. If you want to make it, you can't have slackers, and from the sounds of the original poster, they probably have a handful of strong people with a lot of slackers (or just people that don't know how to burn).