R.I.P. Brian Wood

haha you people are cute when you are a full of it.

Most everyone talks on the phone while driving. The difference between a person who kills three people and a person who doesn't, is luck.

So either in your world all cell phone talkerers while driving people should get charged with manslaughter. Or we should start punishing people for bad luck.

and once again. we are talking man slaughter. You are honestly telling me that you put someone talking on the cell on the same level as someone getting pissed in a barfight and slaying 3 people?

Think of it like this...say that was your wife and kid and they happen to get killed because the driver in the other vehicle was fixing the dvd player in his minivan for his kids. Mistake or do you want him prosecuted? It's all relative to the situation. Oh and the driver of the mini van also had one drink at dinner....

The cops in the situation found enough evidence and reason to charge the drivers. they are considering them negligent, because had the person never took his hands off the wheel to remove his sweater this would have never happened. The fact that drugs were involved makes it just that much worse.

there is your problem. Don't put yourself in the victim's shoes. That does NOTHING but create bias. If you want real justice you want unbiased logical opinions of the situation.

There is always going to be bias unfortunately ;) regardless of what we say, it is always there. So put yourself in those shoes and think about it for a moment ....not everything in the world is unbiased and logical

.09 can get you manslaughter. We aren't talking flammable breath speech slurring stupidly staggering drunk.

And they tested it.

Had a few people drive at .09, had people carry on conversations on a phone.

Both in the same car going through the same obstacle course. Phone users did much worse. Its a pretty good science.

There's a difference between .09 and drunk in my opinion. I'm not condoning getting behind the wheel while you have any amount of alcohol in your system however. But .09 can be a beer or two, and most people are still fine to drive after that, even though they should not.

And yes, i do believe that having weed in your pocket should be a factor in determining guilt, because just having it is illegal. There are laws about possesion with intent to consume already in place, so just having it is a factor.

So? He could have some unpaid parking tickets too, what does that have to do with the situation?

Will someone answer my fucking question.

Does talking on the cell phone, and having bad luck.

EQUAL

Some guy getting pissed in a bar fight and killing 3 people.

Because you are saying they should receive the same punishment.

Edit: I am growing curious how many people will answer "yes" to this for the sake of being "right" haha.

Last edited:
They are not the same offense but thats kinda why "manslaughter" has been given such a broad definition.

"•Unlawful killing without intent to kill. It can be voluntary (such as a deadly fist fight) or involuntary (such as an accident caused by a speeding car).
"

EQUAL

Edit: I am growing curious how many people will answer "yes" to this for the sake of being "right" haha.

HOLY SHIT Demon

They don't have to be equal! They both did something that resulted in the deaths of 3 people so they are both at fault of manslaughter..........YES!

Haah. I really do find this fun.

I will play your game.

Your daughter is driving now. Shes 18.

She was blabbing to her BFF Jill on her cell phone while going around a curve. She side swipes a car full of drug dealers. They crash off a nearby cliff(those are everywhere these days) and they all die.

Do you feel as though your daughter should get charged 3 manslaughter charges? Are you OK with never seeing her out of Jail again because of an accident?

Oh, and do you see how irrelevant the whole "drug dealer" thing becomes?

Haah. I really do find this fun.

I will play your game.

Your daughter is driving now. Shes 18.

She was blabbing to her BFF Jill on her cell phone while going around a curve. She side swipes a car full of drug dealers. They crash off a nearby cliff(those are everywhere these days) and they all die.

Do you feel as though your daughter should get charged 3 manslaughter charges? Are you OK with never seeing her out of Jail again because of an accident?

Oh, and do you see how irrelevant the whole "drug dealer" thing becomes?

You didn't answer my question on your wife and kid and I'm not answering yours on my 18 year old daughter :p

EQUAL

Look! you are putting bias in ;)

ok so let me change your story ok?

Does talking on the cell phone, and having bad luck. (drug dealer talking on phone making drug deal kills mother and 2 young sons 4 and 5 years old)

EQUAL

Some guy getting pissed in a bar fight and killing 3 people. (guy gets proded for being a nerd at a bard by druggies, nerd kills 3 druggies out of rage)

Ohhh I don't know, changes things a bit, again?

Very misfortunate but yeah , she was being stupid chatting while driving and caused the death of others (reguardless of who they were).

Changing the situation suppose to change my response? nice try.

my(anyone)'s stupid actions results in death of others. I deserve whatever i get.

I'm sure the sentence will be less then beating someone to death (since you like to keep on the whole bar fight thing.)

I don't know this for a fact but i'm betting that the barfight person would get a bit more of an extended sentence than someone who accidently killed someone because of stupidity.

You are making an excellent case as to why you need to eliminate bias on decisions like these. Bravo :)

and yes, if it was my wife and kids killed, I would want them dead. But Hopefully I wouldn't be the one making the decision because I am Biased!

Most everyone talks on the phone while driving. The difference between a person who kills three people and a person who doesn't, is luck.

It's not luck. It;s about paying attention and making the effort to be safe. Why do you think so many places are cracking down on people who are using their cell phones while driving? There was recently a horrible accident (can't recall where) which killed three small children, because the van they were in was rear ended by another vehicle going in excess of 60 MPH. The driver of that vehicle was too busy sending a text message to watch the road. It's easy to be responsible about phone use while driving. It's called bluetooth.

So either in your world all cell phone talkerers while driving people should get charged with manslaughter. Or we should start punishing people for bad luck.

Not at all. I think they should get a ticket for talking while driving if they are holding a phone to their head. like i said ... bluetooth. If they cause a wreck and someone dies however, and it can be proven that it was their fault, due to negligence from being wrapped up in their phone ... Hell yes, charge them with manslaughter.

You are honestly telling me that you put someone talking on the cell on the same level as someone getting pissed in a barfight and slaying 3 people?

Different situation, but in a nutshell, yes. There are so many levels of stupid that it's impossible to label them all, and if someone takes a life, or causes the death of another person by any type of inattention, then they have still commited a crime. the other person is dead either way, and not paying attention due to being on the phone isn't a valid reason for killing someone.

Don't put yourself in the victim's shoes. That does NOTHING but create bias. If you want real justice you want unbiased logical opinions of the situation.

I agree. The problem is, there are fewer and fewer people who can be completly unbiased, because there are fewer and fewer people whose lives are untouched by drivers who are under some type of influence, wether it be drugs, alcohol, phone use, or whatever .... Most people are either victims themselves, have family that has been a victim, or know someone who has been.

HHAHA you are so full of shit. You would fight it tooth and nail and suck off Obama to get the constitution changed to get your daughter out of that ludicrous charge and you know it.

Quit lying just to be right VillageIdiot =p

You are making an excellent case as to why you need to eliminate bias on decisions like these. Bravo :)

and yes, if it was my wife and kids killed, I would want them dead. But Hopefully I wouldn't be the one making the decision because I am Biased!

You are completely off base and void of logic......

there are two kinds of manslaughter and your not distinguishing between the two.

Involuntary manslaughter
Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice aforethought. It is distinguished from voluntary manslaughter by the absence of intention. It is normally divided into two categories; constructive manslaughter and criminally negligent manslaughter.

Voluntary manslaughter
Voluntary manslaughter occurs either when the defendant kills with malice aforethought (intention to kill or cause serious harm), but there are mitigating circumstances which reduce culpability, or when the defendant kills only with an intent to cause serious bodily harm. Voluntary manslaughter in some jurisdictions is a lesser included offense of murder. The traditional mitigating factor was provocation, however others have been added in various jurisdictions.

The people in the article are guilty of criminally negligent manslaughter IMO.

Last edited:
Rooster let me explain about my "luck"

I am talking about the difference between someone talking on the phone and driving and nothing happening, vs someone talking on the phone and driving and killing someone.

The only difference between the two is bad luck and half your life in prison.

Luck is one way to describe it. Wrong place, wrong time is another. It amounts to the same thing. The thing about it is ... Put down the phone and pay attention to the task at hand (driving) and there's a hell of a chance that it wouldn't happen at all.

Either you guys are the most noble people ive ever met in my life.

Or you are lying, probably not to me, but yourself. On that note I must get back to work, will carry this conversation on later, havent read that article yet Alex, I will later though!

Either you guys are the most noble people ive ever met in my life.

Or you are lying, probably not to me, but yourself. On that note I must get back to work, will carry this conversation on later, havent read that article yet Alex, I will later though!

Make sure you do, would be interested to hear your take ;)

I'm far from noble. I do try to pay attention, and after being in a couple of pretty bad wrecks when i was younger, neither of which i should have walked away from, but somehow managed to survive, i saw the importance of respecting the vehicle im in and the other ones on the road. Do i use the phone while i'm driving? Yes ... i reach up to my ear and push the button on my bluetooth and say hello. No one is perfect, but i believe people should be held accountable for their actions, and if that action is paying more attention to their phone than to the road, then i do think they should be punished.

I need to clarify something. I do believe their should be punishment. I just believe manslaughter is a ridiculous charge for a crime of this nature.

Got more time than I though, Ill start reading it now Alex! =)