R.I.P. Brian Wood

I like that article. That is how things should be handled, assuming it was a solid case.

Although I wish it would go into more detail, like HOW drunk he was. .09 or .15, huge difference.

And how exactly the visibility was poor.

If it was(and ive seen this often) a black guy wearing black clothes, not even smiling! around a curve at night, a foggy night, while he was in the middle of the road, then yeah, the case should be thrown out.

That is a very very semantic driven case, not enough details to really judge tbh.

Will someone answer my fucking question.

Does talking on the cell phone, and having bad luck.

EQUAL

Some guy getting pissed in a bar fight and killing 3 people.

Because you are saying they should receive the same punishment.

Edit: I am growing curious how many people will answer "yes" to this for the sake of being "right" haha.

Looking at the merit yes.

Neither initially had the intent to kill someone. Being the difference, maybe look up what it really is before trying to compare them.

I need to clarify something. I do believe their should be punishment. I just believe manslaughter is a ridiculous charge for a crime of this nature.

Got more time than I though, Ill start reading it now Alex! =)

Crime of this nature, taking the life of another human regardless of how its done is far from meaningless. So how can you say manslaughter is a ridiculous charge?

They didn't take someone's life, it was an accident. Comparing an idiot to a murderer is retarded.

20-40 years in prison for having someone hold the wheel while you take off your sweater, at a bad time, is terrible. People are more reckless than this every day, the only difference is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edit:

Theoretical Question. What if while landing a plane, a pilots back itches, reaches to scratch it, hits some magical nose dive switch/lever/button. Kills 300 people and he lives. Should he get charged with 300 charges of manslaughter? Just curious....

Last edited:
From Alexs post

Involuntary manslaughter
Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice aforethought. It is distinguished from voluntary manslaughter by the absence of intention. It is normally divided into two categories; constructive manslaughter and criminally negligent manslaughter.

Do us a favor and research what those bold terms mean.

don't usually get 20-40 years for that type of manslaughter

Theoretical Question. What if while landing a plane, a pilots back itches, reaches to scratch it, hits some magical nose dive switch/lever/button. Kills 300 people and he lives. Should he get charged with 300 charges of manslaughter? Just curious....

don't usually get 20-40 years for that type of manslaughter

The jury also found that Mehserle, 28, had used a gun during the crime. In all, he could be sentenced to five to 14 years in prison.

14 year sentence for 1 count of involuntary manslaughter. Found here:
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-...annes-mehserle-voluntary-manslaughter-verdict

little different than chattin it up on the phone or changing close while driving and killing people though.

Not really....you are in the control of transportation that lack of attention to could kill people.

If the pilot is landing my plane he better damn well ignore that itch. Or call, or sweater, whatever it is.

was talking about the gun one you posted getting 14 years.

Did a little digging, found this:

I am so poed I cannot see straight. Is the legal system corrupt in Florida or what?? Money, money, money, money! If you can't pay the victims families price like Hulk Hogan , and Dante Stallworth, or the judge don't think your pretty, like Jennifer Porter, you are SOL. In my sons dui-mans case, who had just turned 21, a dui mans case next door the prior month, the fellow got 5 years, and he hit, ran and dragged the bicyclist a half mile. The judge sentenced my son to 10 1/2 years. When brought up about the precedent of the other case, the judge smugly replied, she was not knowledgeable of what the negotiations in that case were. My son, traveling at 45 mph, lost control, hit a tree, and his best friend, the passenger died. The inconsistency of this MADD infested cesspool of a system stinks. Ain't nobody listening! What next? A borgeoise bolshevik style revolution? The rich have to quit applying their own standards.

You keep stretching as far as you can and still coming up empty. Just stop.

Our legal system is far from great but in the last one you blamed the judge. Its more about the prosecutor then the judge.

When have i blamed the judge? or the prosecutor? I blame stupid laws.

I shouldn't have expected anyone here to be able to break out of today's accepting morals, and develop their own. Not sure why I did.

So convinced they believe in today's standards that they would spew garbage like "If my daughter was talking on a cell while driving and kill someone I would support the laws and agree with her being locked up". Oh god its almost funny how some people act. knowing even better than I do how much BS that is! =D Ahhh.

For the last time I will state my case.

Are you punishing someone talking on the phone with manslaughter charges?
Are you punishing them being in the wrong place at the wrong with with manslaughter charges?
Why should one offense merit multiple charges? How can they control the number of people in each vehicle?

You really want to ruin someone's life because of nothing more than pure bad luck. There is nothing else involved. If he could of swerved they would be alive and he would be uncharged. Everyone could have lived, he would be fine. The car could just not of been there and he would have been fine. The moons aligned, and bad stuff happened. I don't believe taking away his life will achieve anything.

You have to remember, prison is for two things. Teaching the prisoner a lesson, and protecting the public. Locking up someone who made one mistake that caused an accident, will do neither on of those. Unless you just really really want him to walk out of prison and go "Man, I will pay more attention driving next time, i needed 20 years to learn that!". No, he needed killing 3 people to learn that, that man will probably be more safe of a driver than 99% of the people on the road.

Last edited:

Are you punishing them being in the wrong place at the wrong with with manslaughter charges?
Why should one offense merit multiple charges? How can they control the number of people in each vehicle?

You apparently do not seem to believe in holding a person responsible for his / her actions. Person talking on the phone made a conscious choice to be distracted while driving. They are then liable.

I already stated our legal system is not perfect.

As for the judge you linked the topic a few posts back.

When brought up about the precedent of the other case, the judge smugly replied, she was not knowledgeable of what the negotiations in that case were.

I just read it as point the finger at the judge since she is directly mentioned.

You apparently do not seem to believe in holding a person responsible for his / her actions. Person talking on the phone made a conscious choice to be distracted while driving. They are then liable.

I already stated our legal system is not perfect.

As for the judge you linked the topic a few posts back.

When brought up about the precedent of the other case, the judge smugly replied, she was not knowledgeable of what the negotiations in that case were.

I just read it as point the finger at the judge since she is directly mentioned.

I posted that to show VI that you can get 10 years for a single count in a case like this.

Of course people should be held liable for their actions. His action was driving poorly. The liability should != 10-30 years in prison. But destroying someone's life because of 1 typically harmless mistake? That's overkill. It achieves absolutely nothing but hurting one person. It isn't protecting anyone, isn't reforming anyone, it won't bring the guy back. It is absolutely doing NOTHING but shitting in the guys life.

Last edited:
There is a fine line between accountability and judging...if one's actions harm another then one should be held accountable. Passing judgement is not always man's responsibility...holding one another accountable is.