Possible Server Downtime

QQ is all i have to say.

...well, and that.

..and that.

....and...that.

and that....

QQ

Might as well replace them with SAS drives!

Tell the dude to hurry up servers are down anyway hehe!

=)

Nah he's dead on. Striping > Mirroring.

That is not correct in all instances. Striping is slower than mirroring so if you have mass traffic and data writes it will suffer. Mirroring is simply a copy of the information and the write is done at the same time to both drives. Either way is a good option and if optimized for speed, RAID 1 is the way to go.

My personal opinion yes RAID 5 is better hehe. Or if you got mass cash RAID 10

RAID is an old technology. The last I heard, Raid-Z was the latest new fangled system. RAID-5 is ok, minus the write hole bug. RAID-0 is ok, minus the fault tolerance. RAID-1 is ok, minus the loss of diskspace and performance. RAID-10 is ok, minus buying 2x the hardware and power you need.

BOO RAID

Ask them if you can get access to the DRAC! (if this is a dell server).

Will the loader be down? If so, any way for us to use our drug without it?

During this time new connections from MMOLoader will not authorize.

Does the above mean if you're already (connected) logged in, your good? Or does the Loader re-authorize for some reason after logging in? And if so .. how often? I've been getting some unusal firewall notices about the Loader.

Does the above mean if you're already (connected) logged in, your good? Or does the Loader re-authorize for some reason after logging in? And if so .. how often? I've been getting some unusal firewall notices about the Loader.

I'm not 100% sure when it re-authorizes. I think it's like every 30 minutes or if you zone. I know Htw made it reauthorize less recently.

I'm not 100% sure when it re-authorizes. I think it's like every 30 minutes or if you zone. I know Htw made it reauthorize less recently.

Suggestion .. if currently connected/authorized when checkin time rolls around, have it ignore further checkin attempts for like .. 4 hours if it can not connect to the server... lol. Do not unauthorize due to server connections. Modify the time (realistically) as required for maintenance issues. Worst case, you'd give 4 hour windows of "free" play. Best case .. maintenance issues would be transparent to users.

Last edited:
Downtime has finished. Again I am deeply sorry.

Here's a message from the tech's on the problem for those interested.

The raid array was degraded due to a bad hard drive again. We have placed a new drive in the server and rebuilt the array. The server is back online, responding to ping and ssh with both drives properly working in the raid.

Two bad hard drives in two months? What are the chances?

Quite high if they used equal hard drives from the same charge.

I had thought it was every hour...could be wrong

Those chatting about raid 5, remember this is a hosted server in paid for rack space.

To run raid 5 requires more room (generally 2RU or more) which means more cost.