Planning for progressing thru all expansions

LamahHerder

Reaction score
Goal is to try to progress thru all the expansions on free accounts, while having fun re-learning EQ and making mostly custom MQ2 macros.

I also plan on doing all the epics and any other interesting lore type quests I find out about as I always enjoyed the EQ-world.

Obviously this is a ridiculously large undertaking =)
So I will see how it goes and re-asses as I move forward

I have only ever played up to PoP before I quit EQ originally.
Then RF/LJ TLP but will be playing on FV (due to fastest exp)

• Not level locking (just EQ-Free restriction). I may reconsider this, not sure yet.
  • Not avoiding gear outside of expansion (just not buying crazy gear)

So the advice I am looking for....

(1) - Progression List

Kill List
I need to build a progression kill list so I can track progression!

I think fippy had something like this or I will figure one out after I get established. Anyone aware of such a thing around already?

At a minimum I will start with expansion per release date, but this may not be the best way to do it.

Tracking / Journal

Thinking to do google-sheets/tables or something so I can track progress. A spreadsheet is pretty much simplest thing there is.

Not sure of another method to do this that would not be too time intensive?

Also thinking of keeping a journal/blog/walkthru of progress. Not sure the best way to do this, perhaps just forum/reddit posts or something. Hosting a wordpress or whatever is not too big of a deal for me but not sure if that format is good, maybe a wiki that I update per expansion or that follows the progression kill list?

(2) - The Crew

Getting established on server
First thing is to get 2-6 characters built that will help with whatever I need.
What 2-3 or 6 characters should I get first to ease powerleveling others?

My assumption is dmg shield pulling is still the fastest way to powerlevel?
If so I am thinking a bard/cleric/mag/enc to level up first?

I also have read that doing tasks/quests with high level characters grouped with low level to be the fastest way?
If this is the case I wonder if free-characters is still valid as the brawn, not sure team makeup for this.

Raid crew
As I am not planning for level restriction I hope to not need more than 12 or 24 until I get to more current content

I can/have run 18 characters on my normal desktop, typically just 12 thou. I do have hardware I could run 40+ if I wanted to.

I mention this due to my old knowledge of CH-rotation healing being needed.
Really dont want to deal with more than 24, even at 12 or 18 things become painful organizationally to deal with.
Doing more than 18/24 would really need some greater hive-mind-type-intelligence macro to be written which is still outside of my ability at the moment.

(3) - The Bots

pbox - Progression Boxer

This may be my way of leveling rather than PL'ing, depends on how it works out.

I already macro'd the first set of turnins for gloomingdeep and at a minimum I want to macro the entire tutorial-A/B as I want to play with mq2nav and navigation in general.

After this effort will re-assess and see what I want to do but it should get me decently up to speed with writing macros.
I expect to use mq2bot and mq2nav/melee/movement/cast ala all the usual suspects.

rbox - Raid Boxer
I figure I will write some companion macros for mq2bot to control group for the early raids as the effort of work on a full raid bot is extreme.

From what I learn here I can consider if something with more intelligence master/slave/persistence/scheduling message bus etc... is possible with my skills.

If by progression you mean old world contested raid bosses, most of them are perma camped on FV. Don't think it would be worthwhile waiting around for those.

You might way to check Allakhazam and see what comes up. Fun quests I always enjoyed from way back when is Stein of Moggok, Sol Ro temple quests and epics. Epics aren't too bad to do for the most part, as the worst camps (PoFear) have a spawn method now for your items, so it's not effected by the permacamps.

You could try disabling Plane of Knowledge outright until you're xx level or xx far. I enjoy taking the old routes sometimes and avoid clicking on the PoK book. I skipped quite a few expansions myself, so it's interesting to see what zones have been updated (with new zls) or completely revamped (commonlands, Freeport).

Race and deity still play a part in the old world, so maybe your teams would follow suit. Right now I'm running a 6 ERU team, 3 from Paineel (SHD, CLR, NEC) and 3 from Erudin (ENC, MAG, WIZ). So far it's been fun, especially since evil Erudites can enter Erudin but have to be mindful of the Paladin/Cleric guilds. I'm still finding out ways to work on factions for both sides without hurting one another, so my team could essentially have all of Odus as a home.

So many things to do. I think your best bet will be Allakhazam. It's been around. As for box crews, since you've essentially an unlimited number of accounts, I would say perhaps look more towards a thematic build or team goal within your group, and maybe not just min/max entirely (everyone ends up with same group that way).

You could look at the achievments and get an idea of feats to accomplish. Most of them up to Velious I think require Hardcore Heritage event, but it still gives you names and events you can look up and do without the scaling.

Last edited:
I tried to do something similar with creating a companion macro, but I realized there are already a bunch of great macros that can work as a companion macro. Dev's macros, PeteSampras's bot.mac the 40oz version, ModBot, RaidDruid all work as great companions.

I run the bot.mac with mq2bot doing all my dps and healing.

Another option is to pick a dead server. No competition for spawns and don't have to worry about getting reported for running any army. Would also make sure you don't cheat yourself by getting a high level character to kick start.

So I am hoping to be able to get away with 12 characters but will do a 3rd group if I must.

I will start with 6 first and see how it goes before I add more.
The goal of the first 6 would be moving around easily, ability to PL and just get used to EQ+MQ2 again.

1. brd - movement, control, adds dps, generally speeds up everything.
  2. clr - heals
  3. wiz - ports + dps
  4. mag - dps
  5. enc - crack, control
  6. shd - may as well level a tank, and snare bonus.

Actually do I even need to prioritize ports? If not perhaps can swap out wiz but not sure what would be better.

What do you recommend for 6?

Future musings on 24
Spoiler:

@ First I was thinking something like this.
3 tanks, shaman for slow, druid for extra heal/utility

Code:
1	clr		clr		clr		1
2	brd		brd		brd		2
3	wiz		wiz		wiz		3
4	mag		mag		mag		4
5	enc		sha		dru		5
6	shd		pal		war		6

Then I wonder if Mage pets can hold agro on boss mobs on non-TLP servers?

Code:
1	clr		clr		clr		1
2	brd		brd		brd		2
3	wiz		wiz		wiz		3
4	mag		mag		mag		4
5	mag		mag		mag		5
6	enc		mag		mag		6

Then I think about all the lost loot because classes are all the same!
But I dont think it is worth the hassle to have so many different classes as I would need to learn spells/skills for each class to optimize them.

Code:
1	brd		dru		sha		1
2	clr		sha		dru		2
3	wiz		mnk		rog		3
4	mag		rng		nec		4
5	enc		ber		bst		5
6	shd		pal		war		6

I have such a love/hate relationship with group building, would be nice but a PITA to just build up 30 or 36 accounts and swap in things =)

Last edited:
I love BRD but I fucking hate boxing one. Maybe it's because I haven't found as streamlined of a macro for him. If you're making your own, good shit, they're awesome to have all around.

The groups I run now stay away from melee for easier time not dealing with moveutils. Plus it looks goofy as shit should anyone see you when you're rotating and strafing like a champ.

I'm a fan of your group composition so far, I like casters.

I love BRD but I fucking hate boxing one. Maybe it's because I haven't found as streamlined of a macro for him. If you're making your own, good shit, they're awesome to have all around.

The groups I run now stay away from melee for easier time not dealing with moveutils. Plus it looks goofy as shit should anyone see you when you're rotating and strafing like a champ.

I'm a fan of your group composition so far, I like casters.
What are your thoughts on using pet tank or do I really need a pc tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mage isn't just dps, either. The mage pet is an ok off-tank and, frankly, for "moving around", a mage is really useful with the Call of the Heroes spell. I also use my mage for splitting my summoning the puller to clear his aggro.

Mages are darn useful!

If you are going silver or free with your tank toon, you should definitely use a pet then.

I play TLP and I started on live. I'm in the 70's on live and waiting for Luclin on TLP.