Odd: account forced to change password

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I went to log in to an account that I've had for many years. I hadn't logged in for about a week. I got a message that I need to change the password. This never happens typically. When I got to the password change screen, I entered the old password and then a NEW one (twice to confirm) and got an error message that my password was wrong and do I want to reset it.

Obviously this was troubling but I had no choice. I chose to reset and entered in a new password, after receiving an authentication string on my confirmed cell phone.

That went thru fine and now I'm able to log back in using my account name and the new password.

Any clue why this happened? You think someone else knows my account name and kept trying to log in, thus triggering this process?

Is it possible that you typo-ed your Station Name when you tried to log in? If you typo your Station Name, and the typo-version of the Station Name exists and is not active since the security break years ago, then it will ask you to reset your password, even if the password was wrong.

I've had that freak me out a few times, until I realized that I just had a typo in the account name.

Hmm I doubt it. I had the log-in saved so the rejection occurred off the saved info. I didn't hand-type the account name so I could not have typo'd it.

I'm not going to worry about it since everything is fine now. Just curious if anyone else ran into anything similar.