Nostalgia

I have kept the original ui updated ...whenever a friend starts talking about the old days i will load up on the ui and watch them freak. its good for a memory but with all the additions its not player friendly.

Last edited:
Hey Chewie is the original UI the default old in the UI file or was there one before that...?

Ah, the original from the old school days. Took up a large amount of the screen. Good days those were.

The original UI is rather nostalgic... but it also rather sucked big time. Even my craving for nostalgia has its limits. Like I wouldn't try to play EQ today, even on P99, back on that crappy old Pentium-D machine (or maybe even worse) that I was using back in 1999.

I still have my Orig Kunark expansion box with CD and the cloth map of Kunark. I started in my Junior Year of college, and i think of my EQ buddys that worked in the IT dept with me....only 1 other guy graduated. The other guys ...well 2 were divorced b/c of EQ, 2 would play all night and then NOT got to class the next morning...dropouts...and the others, well, they vanished into the ice of Velious, never to be seen again....

I still have my Orig Kunark expansion box with CD and the cloth map of Kunark. I started in my Junior Year of college, and i think of my EQ buddys that worked in the IT dept with me....only 1 other guy graduated. The other guys ...well 2 were divorced b/c of EQ, 2 would play all night and then NOT got to class the next morning...dropouts...and the others, well, they vanished into the ice of Velious, never to be seen again....

Wow, that's kinda depressing. Fortunately most of my old guildies all had their parents' basements to live in after they got kicked out of college, lost their jobs, or in the rare cases, had their wives kick them out.

I do often wonder what became of these cases. It seems like the people that stuck around after EQ passed its prime were less addicted, or even if they were addicted had figured out a way to make EQ fit in their adult lives. Every so often a guild I was in would have a younger kid come to the game and get pretty out of control with play hours, but for the most part EQ wasn't getting a lot of fresh blood and the people sticking around were guys who had figured out how to make the game a part of their routine.

Of course, every server has that handful of players who clearly don't have their addiction under control, and who show up and play 24/7 for a few weeks, disappear, then come back a few months later. You can almost set your watch by them. My guess is they probably sell their bodies on the street for a couple months to get money to live on during the next EQ binge.

RIP old guildies whose lives clearly imploded because of the game, wherever they are.

I always found I had to quit "cold turkey" for a few weeks/months. Ive done that several times. But I get drawn back every time. When the habit and play time ramps up to the point when I'm raiding 6-7 nights a week (and I start daydreaming about adding raiding time days on a Euro server) then I quit turkey" and retire my toons for a while.

Works much better than losing my job or family. :rolleyes:

To me, the most nostalgic element in EQ is the music. Especially the harp music when you open a window with an NPC vendor.

Plus I love that music you run into in certain parts of Butcherblock Mountains (like running past the undead tower near the druid spire.) And that faintly "maritime" music you hear when you zone into Crushbone.

Probably because it all goes back to when I started in 1999 so I've heard these little ditties a million times since then.

Anyone else got a particular favorite EQ "song"?

My fav EQ tune is the Kelethin theme

For your viewing and nostalgic pleasure, I present to you....
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY"]Everquest - Has anybody here seen my Corpse? - YouTube[/ame]

Also, does anyone have links to those EQ vids that Asian guild made using the Jimmy Eat World songs? (My Sundown, Just Watch the Fireworks). Those were pretty good for nostalgia.

YouTube version is kinda crappy/poor conversion job, but original links don't seem to work, so here's the aforementioned vid:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75jqhDFPxAU&feature=related"]Everquest Mirage Guild memory album - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
and this one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_b9n76F5KQ"]Sayonara Norrath - YouTube[/ame]