New PC doesnt seem as fast as old one

jjmanfdl

Lifetimer
Reaction score
ok well I just picked up a new pc from best buy and put in a few extra's to make it run a little better but my old machine seems to be smoother than my new one. Eq setting are pretty much the same on both machines.

New pc is:
AMD 1.9 ghz quad core
8 gigs ram
640 gig hdd 7200
1 gig ddr2 Gforce vid card (128 bit) pcix
Vista home premium 64 bit
19" lcd WS on 1440x900 reso

Old pc is:
amd 1.8ghz dual core
4 gigs ram
250 gig hdd 7200
512mb ddr2 ATI vid card (128 bit) pcix
Vista basic 32 bit
17" lcd WS HD on 1440x900 reso

So I'm not sure what the deal is but my old pc will not lag running 3 toons but my new one will lag here and there running 3. I do have hdd performance enabled on them and I have a 6meg net connection with a lat of around 103-110. Any tips or suggestions that might help this new pc run a bit faster would be appreciated,
Thanks

it's probably all the crap best buy installs on those pc's heh, i'd reformat

Geforce 9500gt series (galaxy) cheap card, For the ati I got it 2 years ago and don't remember what type it is, it was also a cheap card... and my older pc was also bought from best buy and never did a reformat on it.

9500gt even with 1gig ram sucks. 7800 > 9500

yeah I know but it was just something to hold me over til i found a nice 2.0 256 bit card that I wanted... and the ati is just a cheapo as well

Yeah I had best buy optimize my PC so I didn't have all that bullshit on there when I bought it. That may be your problem. Also, I had the same card and have no problem running 7 boxes on 1/3 to 1/2 graphics.

What plugins are you running? Recently I have found some plugins to hug my fps dropping me from 35+ down to 7 with just turning on / off the plugin

just the standard plugins with speedutils moveutils melee... I don't use a whole lot just have my toons on a standard assist macros for grinding

What plugins?

What plugins are you running? Recently I have found some plugins to hug my fps dropping me from 35+ down to 7 with just turning on / off the plugin

Which plugins cause fps drop so drastically?

if you multi box mq2g15 can cause noticeable fps drop and I think mq2advparse will also, hhave not tested to verify that one.

Well as it turns out it was only the monitor connection I was using. I switched monitors between the pc's. before it was the new one that had vga connection and old one had dvi connection, now the new one has dvi and old one vga and my new pc is nice and smooth and my old pc is a bit choppy now. seems a bit weird that just the type of connection would cause such lag.