Necro vs Mage

cwd56

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I am boxing an sk, bard, zerker, sham, and can't decide to put my necro or a mage in the last spot. Was going to see what you guys that box a lot thought about each. Both will be similarly geared and aa'd (3kish).

i love nec, but it doesnt do anything for you in that group. go mage for burst damage and air stun pet. you dont need mana regen and with that group dots arent so useful.

Necro is great dps on burns and in group if you lack that, Mages are also great I'd go with mage though since they can have the pet tank if something goes wrong, coh etc..

dps has not been an issue at all so far. Zerker is well geared and aa'd, and mobs are dieing plenty fast even when necro crashes....not sure why the necro's mac just decides to crash him from time to time.

necro is more dps but yea mage at 3k can solo named in t4, so it comes down to the extra things he brings to table (coth non MQ users to your grp) stuns take over tanking, to name a few

btw pete since u are a mage master :p, what kind of dps is that water pet doing if u can ditch the air pet?

and in general if u arent tanking (yes i know IF u had to tank air pet is nice to have ready) which pet brings in the pain more water or fire (havent seen a fire pet in forever)

There is basically no reason not to use air pet in any group content thanks to the stun. The dps gained from water would never be worth it to me. his zerker should be hitting almost 30k dps on burns if hes raid geared and well AAd, so necro doesnt make sense for lots of short duration fights. merc wizard in burn mode does 6-8k dps and all you have to do is chain aggro spells on your tank. that is the easiest solution, but wasnt what you asked.

so if someone is using a war sk zerker shaman cleric and wizzy would that be a solid group?? i have been thinking of taking my wizzy out and replacing him with something like a necro or mage??

I would leave the wiz and replace the sk or war with a mage

I am boxing an sk, bard, zerker, sham, and can't decide to put my necro or a mage in the last spot. Was going to see what you guys that box a lot thought about each. Both will be similarly geared and aa'd (3kish).

I would suggest mage. Necro's are great dps, but even with their new quick dmg dots they aren't as effective botted as a mage. I tested an equally geared mage/necro in a group and mage could sustain 6-9k and necro 4-7k. You should be getting 3-4k on sk, 6-10k on zerker, 2-4k on bard and 1-2k on sham which comes out to 12-20k as is, which is decent. A necro will add dps, but the mobs wont last long enough for him to land enough dots to be most beneficial. Mages damage is instant and get the most use out of it, not to mention the pet stuns and utility of a mage.

Imo I would take mage over necro any day unless I plan on doing long fights (2 min +). Adding in a mage would put you at around 18-29k dps and mobs will only last 30 seconds give or take which wouldn't give a necro enough time to get enough dots on.

Just my 2 cents tho