Multi-computers / common INI directory?

ambivy

Never Trust a Rogue
Reaction score
Hi, I have a number of computers that I use to play EQ. Right now there is a lot of copying files from one computer to another. Is there a way to put all my INI folders in one common directory (eg, dropbox) and have my computers look there for the INI files? perhaps even a single directory for log files and macros? I don't mind updating the other files, but its a pain in particular to copy around the INIs.

Thanks!

Hi, I have a number of computers that I use to play EQ. Right now there is a lot of copying files from one computer to another. Is there a way to put all my INI folders in one common directory (eg, dropbox) and have my computers look there for the INI files? perhaps even a single directory for log files and macros? I don't mind updating the other files, but its a pain in particular to copy around the INIs.

Thanks!

You don't need to copy all the INIs. Once a computer is set up for a toon, nothing should need to change. Just patch and go. At least when I was multi PCed EQ, I never worried about it. As Each computer had its set of toons that would be loaded.

I play the same toons on different computers. And the INIs change regularly with customisation. As do macros I edit. So it's about sharing those changes across my computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play the same toons on different computers. And the INIs change regularly with customisation. As do macros I edit. So it's about sharing those changes across my computers.

You could use something like GitHub.

Cool. Will look into that.

I havent tried it, but why cant you just set a common network path for your macros in the macroquest.ini?

[MacroQuest]
MacroPath=.\Macros

That was my initial hope. But doesn't deal with mq2bot.ini, mq2melee.ini etc in the root directory. Otherwise that would work I think. Perhaps all of the config files could be set to ./config??? ;-)

Last edited:
I havent tried it, but why cant you just set a common network path for your macros in the macroquest.ini?

[MacroQuest]
MacroPath=.\Macros

always had lag issues when doing that.

That was my initial hope. But doesn't deal with mq2bot.ini, mq2melee.ini etc in the root directory. Otherwise that would work I think. Perhaps all of the config files could be set to ./config??? ;-)

So I manually set the ini location in mq2bot. I could probably allow a custom location, but it would still require a starting reference point to find the custom location. So like it could pull the ini path from your local ini and then be redirected to the network copy. unfortunately, each plugin would need to individually do that. they all use internally controlled paths unlike macros.

so, not high on my list to do, but I can chew on the idea for mq2bot.

I use a NAS with all my macro INIs stored on it. If you have a network path that is always available like a NAS or a PC that runs 24 x 7, you could map a network drive to it and install MQ2 to it so that your root directory INIs are on it as well. You could run it off the network drive on any PC even as long as all the prerequisite software was installed (I think the loader needs .net 4 framework?). But as JJ said, that can cause lag issues. I don't have any lag issues with doing it for my macros and macro INIs, but it depends on your network set up really. My Nas that I do it on for example as 4 port link aggregation so it has ample bandwidth to handle multiple connections.

Pete, as a suggestion, perhaps make it so that there is a flag in the default INI that says like configured=false, if an INI is loaded with configured = false, ask the user if they would like to load a custom INI and then save the preference in a settings ini automatically. Just add a / command for it like /mq2bot_inipath default or /mq2bot_inipath [PATH]. Then once the INI has been set to be used, just set that configured flag to true so that it doesn't ask and auto loads.

I have a pc that I share among my home network. I use a program called FreeFileSync ( open source ) to sync my c:\MQ to the share. Then on each machine I run the sync to the shared folder. This gives me a local copy to run from so performance is good. It sync's changes in about about 5-10 seconds and was easy to setup.

I do the same thing for EQ. Download it once then push to other machines.

Thanks!

His initial idea was actually on point. If you want to keep a certain folder synced, simply set that as the dropbox folder. When you install dropbox you can choose the location that the dropbox is, I usually set my documents folder for syncing, that way I always have access to that folder on all my computers. but you can assign it a different location in preferences. However, it will sync all your other crap there as well.

Change the location to the root folder of macroquest. :)

Attachments

• Dropbox.bmp
    708.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I will add my vote to syncing. This has come up now and then over the years, and it's always the same thing. The main thing you are going to run into is lag, because of the serialized way the code works in mq2, and the inherent latency (compared to a local drive) of accessing over the network.

What you're going to see is stuff fucks up that's constantly monitoring or reading or writing (i.e., access of any kind). Note the 'constantly' there. Lots of stuff does it, whether it be plugin or macro. If you can stay away from all that kind of thing, then it would work fine (i.e. only reads/writes when told via slash command, or when first loaded, or when zoning, etc.).

htw

I have a pc that I share among my home network. I use a program called FreeFileSync ( open source ) to sync my c:\MQ to the share. Then on each machine I run the sync to the shared folder. This gives me a local copy to run from so performance is good. It sync's changes in about about 5-10 seconds and was easy to setup.

I do the same thing for EQ. Download it once then push to other machines.

I picked up a NAS drive today and set this up. Solution works great. Thanks Dewey and everyone else for the many suggestions!

Thinking about adding another one to mine. Whuch did you get and what do you think so far?

Seagate nas2. So far great. But I didn't do any research ... Just walked in and bought it based on seagate brand but no idea beyond that. 2x usb3.0 ports, 1 Ethernet, 4gb. If they had the 4 or 8 I probably would have went with something bigger.

Freefilesync is worth checking out by the way.

Thinking about adding another one to mine. Whuch did you get and what do you think so far?

If you don't mind putting a little effort into it, and depending on exactly what you need it for, I'd recommend just building your own. You can get more for cheaper and the FreeNas OS is adequate and free! lol. Mine is a 16TB ZFS Raid-z2 setup (similar to raid6 if you aren't familiar with zfs). So it's actually 6 x 4TB drives. When I built it it cost me about 1500 to build, drives and everything. The closest commercial NAS product I could find with similar hardware features was Synology's Diskstation 8 Bay (DS 1815+) With 8 x 3TB drives. Which cost almost 1900 dollars. The 5 bay (DS 1515+) with 5 x 3 TB drives is still a little over 1700 with less overall space for a raid 6 style setup. At the time when I built my NAS (like 2 years ago), I'm pretty sure those 2 Synology systems were higher priced. I can't say for sure but I seem to remember the 8 bay with 8 x 3TB being more like 2200 at the time. At the same time, mine would be cheaper to build now because the price of the drives has come down. I paid 175 per drive and you can get them for 150 now meaning it's at least $150 cheaper now. Or if you want to spend a little more since I build mine WD released the Red Pro drives for even better reliability in a NAS ($210 for 4TB currently). Granted you may not be looking for something that big, but even with smaller systems you can get by cheaper building your own for a quality system. That said if you aren't extremely worried about reliability and redundancy, some of the lower end systems would probably be cheaper than building your own. For example, if I wanted to add another, smaller NAS for some reason and planned to back up it's contents to my current NAS, I could get by with cheaper drives and such. Potentially make the cheaper consumer grade NAS as cost effective as building my own.

Just to note, the reason I was looking at Synology systems with the drives already is they use WD Red drives, which is what I decided to use in my NAS. A lot of cheaper lower end NAS systems use consumer grade drives in their NAS. Some of the cheaper WD and Seagates even use green or seagates equivalent drive.

The Synology OS is probably a little better than FreeNas. But I wouldn't say it's 200 to 400 dollars better. And only reason I say better is it's more user friendly. I think FreeNas has all the same features, or at least has a plugin available to provide the same feature. I also like how you can run FreeBSD jails on FreeNas. Not sure if you can do that on Synology or not. I run a Plex server and a little shell server that I use for tunneling directly on the FreeNas box. Makes it convenient. You can also do things like set up a torrentbox and such on it if you do that sort of stuff. Another big kicker is both of those Synology's I mentioned come with very limited amounts of memory. They come with only 2GB and expand up to 6GB. I have 32 GB in mine atm, and can expand to 64 GB.

If you were to use a ZFS raid-r1 or raid-r2 type system (highly do not recommend raid 5 or raid-z1 style setup for the size drives used today) performance with that little bit of memory would be pretty slow. ZFS raid systems rely on having lots of ram for caching things and such to increase performance. Even with the double parity I get read and write speeds > 400 MBps in most situations. Simultaneous read write is around 200 MBps. And with 4 port link aggregation, that gives me plenty to do multiple HD movie streams off the NAS at the same time. I can copy data from 3 different machines simultaneously and each max out a 1 Gbps port. My limiting factor there is the 4 port LACP though not the write performance of the NAS raid array.

Also I feel the ZFS raid systems is superior to standard Raid5 or Raid6 because it has active error correction in it that Raid 5 and 6 doesn't. If data gets corrupted on one drive in Raid5 / Raid6 that corruption is duplicated to your redundancy, and you can more easily loose your data. ZFS has stuff in place to prevent that and instead auto repairs corrupted data from the redundancy (I'm talking about data corruption from failed HDD sectors and such). ZFS also does a better job at rebuilding and dealing with potential problems during a rebuild. I'm not sure if the Synology OS even supports ZFS, but it's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info man, I appreciate it - and will look into the solution you are mentioning. I had previously looked at Synology before, especially considering my company provides them at discount to us - but even with that, I wasn't willing to drop that much money.

I currently run a 'file server' that's a i7 990x with 24 gigs gaming ddr3, with multiple drives in it, but main storage is external raid (via esata), which is a MediaSonic ProRaid with some WD reds (4t x 8) in raid 10.

Thanks again!

htw