MQ2 on the 50/51 Server

kram337

Reaction score
I wasn't around for the progression server stuff, never knew if Mq2 worked there or not. I'm assuming it didn't but, whats the thought on the 50/51 server?

I'm interested in boxing a character with my main but not without mq2's help.

unless they push a separate exe you will be able to use mq2 on it.

Well that's good news. I've not played eq1 in 6 months but would consider re-subbing to play on the new server. Always wanted a fresh start on a fresh server :D

Hardest part is figuring out what 2 classes to box considering mercs in the game and all.

starting out on combine/sleepers mq2 was cracked down on hard. I am sure you will see a lot of gm activity in the first 6 months.

I still dont see the point of a 51/50 server. took people like 5 days to hit 50 on combine.

Yea there isn't a point to the 50/51 server if all you want to do is play an alt. I can get a toon to 50/51 in 4-5 hours with my sk. The only interest I have in it is that its a new server. It could be a normal server for all I care. I just want a new economy and new players.

It's likely that it fails. but I'll probably be there to see it :)

Thanks for the heads up on GM activity. I wont be doing any active hacks, just using a bot I wrote that doesn't have anything in it I couldn't be doing normally. Should be fine, I'm not a show off.

Yeah I didn't get the 51/50 server either. I mean it seriously just is bubkis to me, this should be an option for ANYONE with a level 85 toon, any toon created on their account should be automatically level 51 w/ 50 AAs that way more people would play more alts. I know it's only a few hours to go from 1-51, but still, it's something I feel like you should be rewarded for.

Then again, maybe not every alt should be that high, but at least 1 possibly 2 toons should be able to be created at level 51 minimum

They're doing something like that on Age of Conan. Allowing you to create a level 50 character if you've already got a max character. Or something like that. Though I think they only allow you to do that once per 80 character.

Maybe it'll catch on!

hopefully not and they start a new server that will be worth a shit

Thing is you wont be playing with new people, they are mostly going to be older eq players who fall into 2 main categories.

1. Hard Core and want to try to be leet or what ever the cool word is this year.
2. Casual players who think the grass is greener on the other side.

I have to admit a 51/50 server is NOT a good idea for newcomers. A true noob is going to be seriously lost by becoming immediately in control of a level 51 toon. The bad news is I bet a lot of new players, such as they exist are going to gravitate to this server because of the attraction of instantly having a "high level" toon.

What they SHOULD do is ban NEW accounts from access to this server but they'd never do that...

When you make a lvl 51 char, do you get all the spells / discs up to that point? Or do you start naked with nothing?

I believe it was said that you get all your spells/discs and some decent gear, which I assume means defiant.

Personally, I'm gonna love the new server. I play EQ to mess around with different strategies/classes/etc. With the new server, I can reroll a new character with gear, a decent selection of abilities, and AAs to spend, and do whatever I want.

For example, I'd much rather spend 4 hours tweaking a macro to farm a tradeskill drop, or to automate a boring set of combines, or to turn one character into my main's extra minion than spend that same 4 hours grinding or raiding. I'm much more entertained by the strategy than the grind. And anywhere lower than level 50, there is no strategy. When your mains are 85, and you're powerleveling twinks up, the strategy starts even later, but lacking twinking or powerleveling, 51/50 is a fair cutoff for the entrance of strategy into the game.

I appreciate SOE providing me with the ease of various class testing, without actually having to level/AA a char. ;)

htw

I do not understand how people can complain that starting a toon at 50 does not give a player the skills needed for the playing the classes and then in the next sentence advocate powerleveling toons in 5 hours. Please explain to me how that will teach someone more than focusing your time on teaching the noobs the finer points of a level 50 of that class.

I firmly believe playing any class at any level well requires play time at that level/class. I don't care if you play a lvl 10 cleric for a year, playing a level 50 for five hours is going to better prepare you for playing in a group of level 50 toons. Every class that I have ever played has different strengths/weaknesses at different levels. Every expansion has people whining about how their class was crippled and someone else was made uber by the latest spells/AA's/abilities. I can't remember how many times I have heard someone say after a 2 expansion break how different the game is now...

If I had to choose between a player that bought a level 80 toon and leveled them to 85 in three months and a player who started a level 1 toon three months ago, playing the last two week between 80-85...I would pick the one that bought the level 80 toon. Anybody that has went through the solo/grp/raid/end game raid stages of plaing will know that it can be a huge change for some classes by itself. Honestly who would you choose for you end game raid guild, a player that had been playing in top 5 raiding guild on your server for 6 months after a transfer from another server (could be bought toon) or a player that has been around for three years but has never been in a raiding guild?

The point here is that playing time in the class, and the level and the style (raid vs group vs solo) that the noob will be playing is much more important than play time for the sake of play time...so if the goal is to play with friends are all 50+ the starting with a toon that is 50+ will get you playing with that group faster.

All of this assumes equal intelligence of the person starting a new toon vs a level 50 toon. Please no horror stories of the idiot that bought a level 85 and joined raiding guild in the same week...

im just mad because 51/50 is a waste of a new server. Server could of been $$, but the worst possible outcome happened~

im just mad because 51/50 is a waste of a new server. Server could of been $$, but the worst possible outcome happened~

I agree that it is not a good use for the new server but SOE could have done worse (and has done worse things). As others have suggested this should be a feature for all accounts that have level 80+ toon. Or better yet, give level 80+ toons ability to create level 50 with another 80+ toon. Race has to stay the same as one of the 2 "parents". So if you are DE and you want HiE you need to find a HiE partner. Some pairing not allowed...female troll would likely eat her halfling partner...

personaly i see a new kind of spammer faggot on this server instead of buy plat bla bla ones it will be ZOMG PETITION SONY FOR A CLASSIC SERVER !!! =P

Thing is you wont be playing with new people, they are mostly going to be older eq players who fall into 2 main categories.

1. Hard Core and want to try to be leet or what ever the cool word is this year.
2. Casual players who think the grass is greener on the other side.

Oh I realize that the server wont have "new" players on it. Just new characters starting with jack shit just like me. If the server was full of actual new players I wouldn't want to see the mess it would cause. Can you imagine a bunch of kids from WoW trying eq for the first time and being thrown into the world at level 51? Everything they tried to kill would destroy them. It'd take weeks to figure out you HAD to group to do anything.

I know this type of server wasn't the most desirable. And I'm not playing on it because it's a 50/51 server, but because it's new. They could have choose any one of the server types and I'd still probably come back and play.