Mod vs Auto, which is better?

Remianen

Reaction score
I've been doing searches here over the last few weeks, looking primarily for a customizable macro/system that would allow me to semi-automate my various characters. I've seen Autobot and Modbot mentioned on several occasions and while looking over their MQ2 wiki entries, they seem fairly similar. So, my question is, which one is functionally better? I know that's going to be subjective so I'll give more detail.

I need customizable, individual ini files. I can't use "one size fits all" since, for example, almost all of my characters are of different levels (in addition to the obvious class differences) so having a 'cleric' ini is only going to be useful for ONE (of my 7) of that class. Even if I have to save the mac file 25 times (using each character's name as the filename), I'm okay with that. Don't really need any for WAR PAL SHD since, in any typical engagement, the tank is my active toon (the one under my direct control).

Autobot is looking more idiot friendly but I think modbot is the one used by the Dain macros (which makes it a good idea for me to learn it) but I guess I'd like idea of which one folks have found easiest to work with. Any input appreciated! Thanks!

i haven't found anything that an mq2melee holyshit cant handle. especially in conjuncition to eqbc. i personally run 1 macro on my main that handles all my bots. and whether caster or melee i never seem to need to type a command...you seem resourceful, i use one of the randome hunternowarp macro's and add in subs to send commands via eqbc. but again...mq2melee does most of the work. not saying you SHOULDN"T use modbot/autobot...i just never have. i don't like macro's. they tend to mess up if something happens. i like it when my main macro actually issues a command via eqbc and tells my cleric to check hp's and heal. or my merc's to go active...etc etc etc. hope this helps mebe give u some idea.s if not...takl to devestator here on the site for any "specific" macro's u may want and not that im an expert but i seem to hear more about modbot than the other....deuces

I started using modbot about 4mo ago. I love it. I have used it for 7 different classes as I usually have a 6box setup running. Very customizable although there is a bit of a learning curve. I have tried many of the class specific macros and whilst I use a few of them, modbot is the main macro I use to run my toons. The level of support that Kroak / TMN provide is amazing too, which really helps you get over the learning curve. I only tried autobot briefly, so i can't give very useful views on it, but I can almost guarantee that modbot will be a winner for you if you have the time to put into learning the macro.

I personally like the everything in one macros like modbot or autobot over using a bunch of different class specific macros.

The main reason is consistency of commands.

I use Modbot, and I've found it fun to learn the ins and outs of the macro and to get it to work exactly how I want it. The cool part is, that through it all, I knew that it could work the way I want it, I just had to figure out how to make it work.

The ability to add in custom events, makes it able to do nearly anything.

I say go for Modbot.

I use modbot for several different classes. And then mq2melee for clickies as I seem to get them to work a lot easier with it. But modbot takes care of everything for my bots.

Cleric keeps buffs up and cast specific buffs when asked in BC. Cleric heals at set points and fires Divine arb when the crap hits the fan.

Shaman debuffs without a hitch( very simple to go from spells to aa abilities). Keeps numerous buffs up. Helps to heal at set points.

Chanter keeps buffs up and debuffs without a hitch. And will lock down 12 plus mobs in mez if you set it up to. I am trying to get AE mez to work a little better. But have personally had chanter keep around 15 mobs locked down and then fire gather mana when mana hit 15%. And just kept everything lockdown till I got to it. Was a nasty glitch in a zone where if a mob gets pushed into wall will pull that area's mobs on you too.

I swap in and out different classes in other spots. I always play the tank. And the other two spots I go with different classes. I have one of them usually looting. Very nice modbot feature. Once you get loot.ini set up you only have to go in and update it. But will keep/destroy/sell whatever you tell it to.

Funny how the next class I want to make is based on how well I can setup a macro for it. :p

I'm very interested in perfecting an enchanter macro to lock down multiples. That seems just insane, and fun all at the same time.

Funny how the next class I want to make is based on how well I can setup a macro for it. :p

I'm very interested in perfecting an enchanter macro to lock down multiples. That seems just insane, and fun all at the same time.

modbot does the job better than I would do manually in Kurn's Felbane event, locking 12 mobs is at the low end of what that macro can do

I would have to agree with most here. I started with individual macros.

Then tried Auto and liked it much better, found it pretty simple to set up but also found it couldn't do some of the things I wanted.

I have now moved on to modbot and whilst I have been having some teething problems (mostly my own fault) kroak has been extremely helpful and the versatility it seems it will have in the future looks awesome.

Modbot it is then. Will take me a week or so to get everything set up (we're talking 29 characters here heh) and I still have to do formal AA plans for everyone (for AASpend or the one that comes with Modbot). Useless EQPlayers is busted and not showing character AAs, which complicates matters.

Thanks for your input! I'm really looking forward to getting my chanter (especially) automated so I can play her more. :p

Does anyone have a working modbot ini for a 85 bst?

The modbot wiki has posted .ini's. Marmy that's posted in this thread I believe has a beastlord he uses Modbot with, so he may be more assistance for a beastlord.

Yeah I run a beastlord but its only 80 as i have only just returned to eq and am logging some aa's atm...

I can try and help though mine is working pretty well just the timings are a bit off.