maxxing melee skills?

MROUTLAW

Premium Member
Reaction score
anyone know a mob thats tethered that i could max archery/throwing on ?
also would like to find one that i could beat on that dont hit back or hits back for very small amounts

Pet classes ftw

also would like to find one that i could beat on that dont hit back or hits back for very small amounts

I usually use a second account with a shaman preferably and summon the lowest blue you can for melee work ups. (have healer merc out on shammy to keep pet alive, and you have your merc out) Any pet class will do, Shammy pets just hit lightest. For ranged... I dunno maybe, again a second account, and duel someone in a neutral zone ( like outside a starting city with no agro mobs). not tried it but can you attack someone's merc if you duel them? If so you could range attack their cleric merc. It would heal itself and never attack back.

Dragons in VP wont agro if you warp straight to them, not sure if you can fire at them though. I know you can cast mage bolt spells at them. But no other spells work on them since they are un-attackable, but just casting gets the skill up. So maybe it works like that for ranged too?

moved your thread to the Everquest General Chat, Requests & QUESTIONS area

There's a mob in the Berserker Epic 1.0 that you can do ranged on all day. Just look at the quest and you'll figure out which mob it is.

Tethered mobs for archery

2 boxing for archery skill is easy ....

But if in a pinch.... you can always do "The Tangrin" in Field of Bone ....

He's on the island to the north of zone... stand at the max range of archery and /autofire .... he is tethered.

Just make sure to use max range bow... and lowest damage arrows.... he is an old world named mob... and probably wont last long to raise archery skill if you using good damage arrows with a uber bow.

Just a suggestion.

There have already been some good suggestions. I think what I lack and keeps me from responding is you don't list a level..only get skills on mobs in your level range...so a level 90 beating on an old world namer wouldn't help much.

VyralPandemic was closest to a solution for archery / throwing.

Use the same method, either a shaman, mage, or necro pet that has the Pet Discipline AA (/pet hold). Mage are necros are best imo since they have a much broader level range of pets to summon. I'm not sure if shaman pets at level 85 (or I guess 90 now) are high enough level to give skill ups to a levle 85 / 90.

Duel them, have them turn pet hold on, fire / throw away at it. It will not attack you and will happily sit there and let you puncture holes in it. Make sure you have a healer merc and you and the pet class are grouped because in a duel your merc will not heal you, it will however heal your groupmate that you are dueling :)

Last edited:
You can use your merc for archery and throwing. I did it in my house. You have to make sure you are far enough away and keep watching it but it does work. Just creep back till you start shooting or throwing again. I did this just this last week to max both. I did it in my house since you can kill in your own house. hehe

I used to max melee on my healers by dueling my own pet class. Find a safe area, duel, /stick 10, pet hold, go afk for the night. The Coldain city was my spot when I did it.

Make sure the pet is cornered and you're attacking from the back. No warrior pets either. Don't want to get killed by ripostes or enrage.

This method should be even easier now that there are healer mercs. At the time I had to write a macro where the class that was working on melee had to stop whenever pet got below 15%

You can use your merc for archery and throwing. I did it in my house. You have to make sure you are far enough away and keep watching it but it does work. Just creep back till you start shooting or throwing again. I did this just this last week to max both. I did it in my house since you can kill in your own house. hehe

Seriously? I think that's my favorite answer. Going to try that out when I camp tonight to raise throwing on my mage. Why the hell not.

Thanks for sharing that oneTapout.

Definitely just use a merc. Find a corner and move the merc's owner around until the merc is positioned in the corner. If you do it right, you should be able to afk for the rest of the night skilling up without the merc moving.

I never took the time to get the merc to stay put the whole time. I just inched back little by little after a few hundred shots. The merc would stay put for awhile then move. It was however long enough for me to get alot done before I had to worry about it being too close.

rocking , ok and sorry the toon is level 71 atm