Making EQBC a service.

Coffee

Reaction score
This will explain how to setup EQBC to run in Windows as a service. No more needing to start up the program manually, and it will remove the console window from displaying for those who find no need for it. It will run in the background open and ready to be connected to. This information can be found buried away in the MQ2 forums. I haven't seen anyone reference it here so I figured I would recreate it as its great information for any program not just EQBC, including malware for you assholes out there! Original thread at: http://www.macroquest2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12147&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195

Step 1. Download Windows Resource Kit at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

Step 2. Install the kit. If you use the default location it will be installed to "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\". The rest of this guide will assume you have it there, so change the location if you put it elsewhere.

Step 3. Click Start and select Run. Type in or copy paste the following command:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\instsrv.exe" "EQ Bot Chat" "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe"

Step 4. You need to decide the location of your EQBotChat server file. I put mine right in the C drive of my server, so I will use that as an example. Place the eqbcs.exe file in the location you want (It has been included in the precompile here at MMOBugs for quite some time).

Step 5. Click Start and select Run. Type in regedit and click OK or press enter. Navigate to the following registry key:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EQ Bot Chat
Be sure to Left Click and HIGHLIGHT the EQ Bot Chat key (looks like a folder) so that it is selected.

Step 6. Click the Edit menu in the Registry Editor, and select New and then Key. A new key is created ready to be typed into, type in Parameters for the name and press enter so it takes. This needs to have the capital P.

Step 7. Now Left Click and HIGHLIGHT the Parameters key that you've just made so that it is selected.

Step 8. Click the Edit menu again and select New and then String Value. A new value is created, again ready to be typed into. Type in Application for the name and press enter so it takes. This needs to have the capital A.

Step 9. Now Left Click and HIGHLIGHT the new value, this time it will be on the right side.

Step 10. Click the Edit menu again and select Modify. A box pops up showing you the current value (nothing) and an input box to type in the new value. This is where you will type in the location you have placed your eqbcs.exe file. Mine is located at C:\eqbcs.exe, so I would type in:

Code:
C:\eqbcs.exe

or if you use custom ports or other parameters, include the full information such as mine:

Code:
C:\eqbcs.exe -p 2222

...and press enter. Now we have the service created, let's set it to run always.

Step 11. Click Start and select Run. Type services.msc and click OK or press enter. This will open your services configuration.

Step 12. On the right you will see all of your existing services. If you left click Name, it will sort them alphabetically for you. Scroll down the list until you get to EQ Bot Chat. Right click on this, and select Properties.

Step 13. On the General tab, which is displayed first, change the Startup type drop-down box to Automatic. Click Apply and then move to the Recovery tab. Change all three: First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures to be Restart the service. Click OK and the service will run on its own.

Step 14. To start up the service immediately, Right click on EQ Bot Chat and select Start.

EQBC is now always running and without a console window.

Thats a kewl way to do it. I am thinking about setting up EQBC and run a couple toons on my old computer in another room. Have not tried to that up yet but when I get that part tackled this looks like the way to go to run it. Thanks for the detailed info on it.

EQ (B)ot (C)hat.

A way to command bots that's completely divorced from in-game communication methods.
Also can be used with Netbots/Netheal to allow for things like mana % on all the bots to be displayed in your UI.

If you used the -p argument (used as an example above), it will be listening on a different port. If you were using default before, don't use the -p.

If that isn't the case, check services and verify that your newly create service is actually Started, not just Automatic. If its not, attempt to start it following the directions above, or just reboot. If its not started and fails to start, start over and follow all the directions verbatim.

edit: anddddd crickety deleted their post, so in this I'm responding to a black hole !

Plea for help... Not needed..

:) :D :)

I did not run the program first so it was not "unblocked by windows"

Damn crickets, I tell ya...

haha... sorry... figured it out just as you were replying :p

anyone know on Vista what i should install, ressource kit above is only for XP

anyone know on Vista what i should install, ressource kit above is only for XP

I am running Vista and the resource kit and coffee's instructions is working well.

ah effectivly it works, installing the ressource kit on Vista gave me an error but worked fine at the end

I am running Vista and the resource kit and coffee's instructions is working well.

When i go to start EQ Bot Chat I get,

The EQ Bot Chat Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

Iam running vista ultimate, did you get this message with yoru vista? or am i missing a step?

Also something i noticed was that you have eqbcs.exe listed and in the mq folder its mq2eqbcs.exe , should i rename it when i put it on my c drive and take the mq2 off, would that cuase an issue?

Last edited:
What about Windows Server 2003

If you are running Windows Server 2003, you don't need the resource kit do you?

i followed the directions in the wiki but i cant seam to get this to run in win7 64 bit i even changed the paths any ideas ?

do it again and follow the directions correctly

That being said I wouldn't worry to much about it. I run mine as a service and usually cant have more than 4 toons running on it, tonight I cant even have 1. :eek:

I noticed no improvement in other words.

This is interesting! I just use powercmd and hide it to tasktray. I have to manually start it, but I rarely ever reboot my computer.