Laptop power help PLEASE!!

Nijhal

Reaction score
Got a huge problem. My old ass Dad uses my laptop all the time to play PartyPoker. Problem is hes let it sit in his lap plugged in that the power cord connecter has to be adjusted to it will make the proper connection to stay on or charge. Which brings me to my second problem...

No matter what my battery charge meter says, if I unplug the power cable or it loses connection from the power cord, it shuts off.

All these problems started when I had the power cord problem. Battery still shows as charging, and still goes up in charge. Is there a diagnostic program I can run to check my battery? What are my options? Before I take this into a shop.

Got a huge problem. My old ass Dad uses my laptop all the time to play PartyPoker. Problem is hes let it sit in his lap plugged in that the power cord connecter has to be adjusted to it will make the proper connection to stay on or charge. Which brings me to my second problem...

No matter what my battery charge meter says, if I unplug the power cable or it loses connection from the power cord, it shuts off.

All these problems started when I had the power cord problem. Battery still shows as charging, and still goes up in charge. Is there a diagnostic program I can run to check my battery? What are my options? Before I take this into a shop.

I had this problem before with a laptop. I had to re-sodder(sp?) the connector inside the laptop, it had broken loose from use. I had basically the exact same problem, showed as charged, showed as charging, had to wiggle the cord around to get a connection. If your comfortable, open your laptop up and look at the connection for the power input, if your not, take it to a tech. Laptops are difficult to work on, so if you haven't before, be careful opening the case if you decide to.

Anthrax

Thanks man, dropping it off at the tech shop in town today after my Therapist appointment.

Can be a number of things tbh....

Does the connection feel loose from the plug to the laptop?

Is the cord bent, frayed or damaged?

Will the system work with a "known good" AC adapter and battery?

most times its the connection but those are some other things to look at

it is all gonna be tested from the computer shop in town. Its free to evaluate and then I will know what needs fixing.

Toshiba's are apparently known for this, if it's a Toshiba...

Was working on trying to find a fix for a friend with similar issues LOL.

Unless it was broken so badly that it cracked the motherboard, you might just need the jack replaced. Some places arnt smart enough to use a soldering iron so they might recommend full motherboard replacement anyways. We have a lot of people that come in the shop that have jerked their laptop off the table or such, and we just put a new jack and not the whole mobo to save em some money.