lag

Nicedreamsbt

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Ok i dont know what happend but i am getting insane lag on some of instances of eq. In iraq i was boxing 9 chars now back in the states i have just 3 loaded and 2 of the 3 are lagging like crazy. They are the chars i run macros on but its not like they are crazy huge macros. Even when i /end it still lags like crazy any ideas what it could be ?

First of all I would advice you to run a tracert (trace route) to the current server you are playing on.

Example:
tracert tunare.everquest.com

Obviously exchange tunare with the name of the server you are playing on (unless you actually play on Tunare :) ). A normal trace route should result in a route that is something between 100-300 ms (total), the lower the better obviously. If you do find a connection that takes unnormally long you should contact your Internet provider and ask about the issue.

By doing this you will at least narrow down the problem to either your Internet connection or the computer/hardware.
If it is a hardware related issue, it might be a good idea to post what kind of equipment you are running on (obviously something good since you already were 9 boxing). But still, there could always be an issues with it that some one would have knowledge about.

G

Last edited:
Open journal in EQ and make sure it is not logging stuff.

I ran this same command from your advice, with my server name, it came up with 16 lines, each line with 3 columns of numbers (xx or xxx ms). What is the combination I am adding up here for a total ?

First of all I would advice you to run a tracert (trace route) to the current server you are playing on.

Example:
tracert tunare.everquest.com

Obviously exchange tunare with the name of the server you are playing on (unless you actually play on Tunare :) ). A normal trace route should result in a route that is something between 100-300 ms (total), the lower the better obviously. If you do find a connection that takes unnormally long you should contact your Internet provider and ask about the issue.

By doing this you will at least narrow down the problem to either your Internet connection or the computer/hardware.
If it is a hardware related issue, it might be a good idea to post what kind of equipment you are running on (obviously something good since you already were 9 boxing). But still, there could always be an issues with it that some one would have knowledge about.

G

I rememberd seeing a post by demonh2 asking about his lag also so i sent him a tell asking if he got it fixed and this is what he said his fix was and it also fixed my lag.

"go to your eqgame.exe. right click, properties, run in windows xp service pack 3 compatibility mode.

Viola, fixed. " Demonh2

I ran this same command from your advice, with my server name, it came up with 16 lines, each line with 3 columns of numbers (xx or xxx ms). What is the combination I am adding up here for a total ?

The average of the numbers on the last (3) numbers on the last line in the trace route is the average time it takes for your computer to reach the game server. If you get xxx in some of the lines it either means that that particular server denies trace route calls (ping calls) and will not respond. Or the connection is so poor it times out. But you should see that from the last line in the trace route anyway. If the last line contains 3 close to equal numbers that are not much above 300 ms, your connection is fine.

Here is the result from the 4 last lines from 2 of my trace routes:

[druzzilro.everquest.com]
17 192 ms 197 ms 188 ms vl861.sdtermswitch-1.sonyonline.net [63.215.251.130]
18 189 ms 193 ms 191 ms vl23.sdtermbr-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.146]
19 185 ms 185 ms 185 ms vl832.sdkollsw-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.90]
20 187 ms 184 ms 181 ms eqworld-128.everquest.com [199.108.3.133]

[tunare.everquest.com]
17 174 ms 173 ms 173 ms vl861.sdtermswitch-1.sonyonline.net [63.215.251.130]
18 174 ms 175 ms 173 ms vl23.sdtermbr-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.146]
19 308 ms 329 ms 230 ms vl832.sdkollsw-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.90]
20 174 ms 173 ms 172 ms eqworld-126.everquest.com [199.108.3.101]

The 4 last connections should most likely be Sony Online servers for you as well, and they should look closely the same as this for an ok connection. The very last line (in my example, 20) is the current game server you are playing on/tracing.
The total number of lines shows how many connections you need to go through to reach the game server. The lower the better normally, but that is not a general rule.

As others have tried, using compatibility mode for playing EQ. I have never had to do that on my computer running Vista 64 bit and several accounts on the same computer.

Aside from running this test, up in the left corner when you play EQ there should be number in xxx ms as well, if not try pressing F11 (default key). That should show about the same number as will show up when you run trace route. If the number is high you have a poor connection, if the number is below 200 your connection is good. If you experience lag with a low and steady number here you most likely have a hardware/game issue. Most common is to low RAM or an old graphics card. On Vista you need more than 2GB ram to run 1 instance of EQ with no lag. 1 Instance use about 1 GB and Vista use way to much RAM alone, not the most memory friendly OS (unless you are able to strip it from all crap you do not really need).

G

Thank you for the detailed info, it's a better understanding of the numbers.
Mine totaled 297 ms on the last line. Two of my 3 puters run two instances of EQ, one of them has 3 gigs ram and runs both fine, except the zoning is slow.
The other puter is an old dell 2.4ghz with 1.75 gigs ram, but those two toons on that puter don't work to hard, so lag is not an issue, lol
My 3rd puter runs my number 1 main toon, but even though it's the most powerful puter I have, I don't like sharing other windows with him, he's an introverted halfling :)

The average of the numbers on the last (3) numbers on the last line in the trace route is the average time it takes for your computer to reach the game server. If you get xxx in some of the lines it either means that that particular server denies trace route calls (ping calls) and will not respond. Or the connection is so poor it times out. But you should see that from the last line in the trace route anyway. If the last line contains 3 close to equal numbers that are not much above 300 ms, your connection is fine.

Here is the result from the 4 last lines from 2 of my trace routes:

[druzzilro.everquest.com]
17 192 ms 197 ms 188 ms vl861.sdtermswitch-1.sonyonline.net [63.215.251.130]
18 189 ms 193 ms 191 ms vl23.sdtermbr-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.146]
19 185 ms 185 ms 185 ms vl832.sdkollsw-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.90]
20 187 ms 184 ms 181 ms eqworld-128.everquest.com [199.108.3.133]

[tunare.everquest.com]
17 174 ms 173 ms 173 ms vl861.sdtermswitch-1.sonyonline.net [63.215.251.130]
18 174 ms 175 ms 173 ms vl23.sdtermbr-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.146]
19 308 ms 329 ms 230 ms vl832.sdkollsw-2.sonyonline.net [64.37.144.90]
20 174 ms 173 ms 172 ms eqworld-126.everquest.com [199.108.3.101]

The 4 last connections should most likely be Sony Online servers for you as well, and they should look closely the same as this for an ok connection. The very last line (in my example, 20) is the current game server you are playing on/tracing.
The total number of lines shows how many connections you need to go through to reach the game server. The lower the better normally, but that is not a general rule.

As others have tried, using compatibility mode for playing EQ. I have never had to do that on my computer running Vista 64 bit and several accounts on the same computer.

Aside from running this test, up in the left corner when you play EQ there should be number in xxx ms as well, if not try pressing F11 (default key). That should show about the same number as will show up when you run trace route. If the number is high you have a poor connection, if the number is below 200 your connection is good. If you experience lag with a low and steady number here you most likely have a hardware/game issue. Most common is to low RAM or an old graphics card. On Vista you need more than 2GB ram to run 1 instance of EQ with no lag. 1 Instance use about 1 GB and Vista use way to much RAM alone, not the most memory friendly OS (unless you are able to strip it from all crap you do not really need).

G