How much AC is too much?

hoppy96pgtbs

( o Y o )
Reaction score
My favorite alt is my Pally. His AC is getting up around 3100 or so. I have heard that once you get to a certain point, HP augs are better than AC. What is that point? When the Damage mitigation is less and less from AC..... When 90 Hp would be worth more than 25AC. Or If I keep going and Farm all the Stonewardens's From Alex in DS, and all the Shard of the Guardians from Shadowy student in DS..... Both are 25AC/25HP not lore and you can get 11 total. Would I be better off with CoA augs or the AC augs? Little imput please thanks guys

AC is Jesus imo, but there will always be HP heavy people too. Just depends on to which side your e-penis hangs I guess.

AC softcap was done away with after Velious.

You can see some return on AC in EQ all the way to 3600 for sure with modern content. Mobs have very high attack rating and AC is how its dealt with.

My favorite alt is my Pally. His AC is getting up around 3100 or so. I have heard that once you get to a certain point, HP augs are better than AC. What is that point? When the Damage mitigation is less and less from AC..... When 90 Hp would be worth more than 25AC. Or If I keep going and Farm all the Stonewardens's From Alex in DS, and all the Shard of the Guardians from Shadowy student in DS..... Both are 25AC/25HP not lore and you can get 11 total. Would I be better off with CoA augs or the AC augs? Little imput please thanks guys

AC all the way.

think they figured 1 ac = 4-6 hps or something along that line cannt remember the exact conversion ratio

being people who spend to much time parsing logged data, was either pally or warrior forums

The Steel Whiners will lead you astray...

[ame="http://www.evilgamer.net/forums//showthread.php?t=155"]AC Parse - EvilGamer Forums[/ame]

So will the post you linked.
Finally
#1 - These are all short parses, don't take them as being incredibly accurate, the goal was to get enough data points to plot an AC curve, not get exact values on what the optimal level of AC on my test NPC is.

#2 - The NPC I was fighting was rather low ATK for a level 70 I think, if I get the time I'll reparse it with higher ATK to try and simulate a Dreadspire, Anguish, or Demiplane mob.

#3 - Please please please for the love (hate?) of Innoruuk don't look at the AC curve and think to yourself "AC stops really being effective in this parse at 2304, therefore all AC past 2300 on any NPC is a waste of what could be HP", if you do that I'll finish inventing my device that stabs you in the face across the internet.

#4 - AC has 2 functions, the first being to reduce your dps intake the second being to protect you from damage spikes, this isn't new info...

#5 - I'll get the graphs up soon, if you want to plot your own though the data is all listed in the previous post.

The Steel Whiners will lead you astray...
So will links to posts from 2005. Once again, softcaps have been removed. Mitigation levels of different class's were also changed about 6 months back on top of that.

general rule is this in you current content if you have enuff hp to not get one rounded that all you need after that ac is king

Try it yourself and you wont belive what you hwere missing

ditto what bots said. the ac happy tank in my guild uses 1ac = 6hp, but then again he's got a shitton of ac so...

Thanks for all the imput, Still havnt decided which way to go with him yet. Considering DS is a pain in the @$$ to camp alex/student in. He's at about 13k/3128 unbuffed atm.

The SK's at evilgamer.net have it all down.

There is a softcap, but not as most think it is.
Softcap is 1300.
What that means, is anything up to 1300 is working at 100% effectiveness.
Anything over it, is at 66%.
Shield ac ignores it. So an aug'd shield at 140ac , will raise you to 1440 at 100%.

At the moment, there is no point at which ac stops working, like back in velious.

A really good ratio for choosing upgrades, is
1 shielding = 10 avoid = 15ac = 90hp (until caps of 35 shield and 100 avoid)

I follow a 1ac/6hp if there are other mods to consider, otherwise I go 1/7.

You only "need" enough hp to survive being one-rounded by the content you are tanking. AC can fill in the rest, which then lowers your hp needs.

4500 ac is my goal, but there is a 5kac sk out there.

One example of how auging ac will help over auging hp.

3 tanks. 2 wars and an sk.
wars are 25k and 23k hp. SK is 18k. But the wars have 3200-3500ish ac. SK has 4300.
All have divine intervention.

The 23k tanks. Defensive drops, and his health goes up and down so fast, he dies before DI can land again.
The 25k tanks. DI fires 7 times before the mob dies.
However, the SK was able to tank the same mob, from 100 to 0 , with less healers and less dps, meaning a longer fight, and his DI only fires once.
That's with "at least" a 5k hp difference.

HP will always come with the gear. It's given away like water, because it's the ac that's trivializing encounters.
There is just no really justifiable reason to take 1500-2k in hp augs over 300-400 in ac ones you could have.

You know who that sk is btw. Ask him about the fight.

The SK's at evilgamer.net have it all down.

There is a softcap, but not as most think it is.
Softcap is 1300.
What that means, is anything up to 1300 is working at 100% effectiveness.
Anything over it, is at 66%.
Shield ac ignores it. So an aug'd shield at 140ac , will raise you to 1440 at 100%.

At the moment, there is no point at which ac stops working, like back in velious.

A really good ratio for choosing upgrades, is
1 shielding = 10 avoid = 15ac = 90hp (until caps of 35 shield and 100 avoid)

I follow a 1ac/6hp if there are other mods to consider, otherwise I go 1/7.

You only "need" enough hp to survive being one-rounded by the content you are tanking. AC can fill in the rest, which then lowers your hp needs.

4500 ac is my goal, but there is a 5kac sk out there.

One example of how auging ac will help over auging hp.

3 tanks. 2 wars and an sk.
wars are 25k and 23k hp. SK is 18k. But the wars have 3200-3500ish ac. SK has 4300.
All have divine intervention.

The 23k tanks. Defensive drops, and his health goes up and down so fast, he dies before DI can land again.
The 25k tanks. DI fires 7 times before the mob dies.
However, the SK was able to tank the same mob, from 100 to 0 , with less healers and less dps, meaning a longer fight, and his DI only fires once.
That's with "at least" a 5k hp difference.

HP will always come with the gear. It's given away like water, because it's the ac that's trivializing encounters.
There is just no really justifiable reason to take 1500-2k in hp augs over 300-400 in ac ones you could have.

You know who that sk is btw. Ask him about the fight.

That site was posted few reply's up, and Jim linked what brael said about.

Who and where did Sony say the soft cap is 1300 and this %....Not Brael.

Also what SK has 5K Ac? All I can go by is eqplayers, and highest AC is 4208 SK and 4148 War.

Buffed, Brael hit 5k ac.
EQplayers is never 100% accurate either.

The softcap and returns over it are semi-common knowledge on the sk board.

It was originally cracked and posted in detail when it was shadowknight.org , predated by parses of the original formulas at knightwatch, and Slien reposted it again recently at evilgamer.net

What about non plate classes, can the same be said for them about lacking an ac cap?