Having odd lag issues, what could cause this?

Ech0b0y

Board Necro
Reaction score
I have been having alot of issues with mini rewinds, like I will run somwhere, and be back where I started in a second or 2, like lag. I will be standing somehwere, moe sligjtly, and move back. I cannot be coth'ed, sometimes I get too far away looting corpses, it is very odd! I do not have any docracks in, and confused about what is causing this. I am not warping or doing anything!

duel processor or better? I know they claimed they fixed that issue but sounds like the same effects it used to cause.

well

Yeah fx-60, never had this issue hough until last patch

Since expansion went live I've been having really really shitty lag on my laptop. I used to be able to run 2 toons on it pretty easily ... now sometimes even one slows down into slow motion.

I have the new fog turned off, so I'm not sure what else changed. Maybe I need a directx upgrade.... *shrug*

If your running dual core what you need to do is when you have launch pad up, hit control alt delete, goto processes window and right click launchpad, then assign the launchpad to a single processor.

EQ uses an old style to tell time with CPU cycles, and since dual cores speed up and down to help processor load this is why your character may seem to go faster or slower than intended. When I don't do this my char typically runs twice as fast and his buffs fade twice as fast, very annoying.

If your running dual core what you need to do is when you have launch pad up, hit control alt delete, goto processes window and right click launchpad, then assign the launchpad to a single processor.

EQ uses an old style to tell time with CPU cycles, and since dual cores speed up and down to help processor load this is why your character may seem to go faster or slower than intended. When I don't do this my char typically runs twice as fast and his buffs fade twice as fast, very annoying.

Do debuffs fade twice as fast?

I would say yes, but I never checked a debuff, i did however notice it was running my EXP pots twice as fast which pissed me off quite a bit heh.

Slow motion and dual core

I am still having a lot of slowmotion problems with my dual core boxes. Almost unplayable as you can't pull without getting destroying on incoming etc. I always set the affinity to one processor but this doesn't seem to help. It will go fast to slow back and forth but will never just lock into normal speeds.

Any help would be great.

My slow motion is on a single core AMD laptop, actually.

Bad Lag Fix (for me anyway)

I decided to clean out the cob webs and shit-can my eqhardware.ini files and start over, then re-ran each EQ Instance (seperate folders) to rebuild the hardware ini's -- and after a load in, reset of UI / keys etc I edited each eqhardware.ini file and manually set the processor affinity in the INI file..

Low-n-behold no more lag.. I'm not sure if the auto affinity works or is bugged or not, but manually setting it worked for me -- Might be worth a play for some folks.

My slow motion is on a single core AMD laptop, actually.

Dual Core Fixins (for those who haven't already)

Please note, this is a "HOTFIX" and is not provided by using M$ update or Windows Update.

If your PC explodes when you install this, don't complain to me - I use it and have issues w/o it so I can say it works 100% as advertised for me.

Symptom(s):

"Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors (ie. dual core / quad core) that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance"

Thanks Billy!!

Resolution(s):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

Njoy!

I am still having a lot of slowmotion problems with my dual core boxes. Almost unplayable as you can't pull without getting destroying on incoming etc. I always set the affinity to one processor but this doesn't seem to help. It will go fast to slow back and forth but will never just lock into normal speeds.

Any help would be great.

Last edited:
This helped me a while back

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.