Group composition/level spread

Remianen

Reaction score
I have a question about group setup since I think I'm doing something wrong.

I'm trying to bootstrap some of my lower level toons using the higher level ones. The problem is, I think I might be shooting myself in the foot. The XP the lower toons are getting is complete crap and I think it might be due to level spread.

100 SK or Warrior
100 Healer Merc
96 ROG
84 Wizard

Killing in the Feerott where everything is green/light blue to the 100s and light blue to the 96 but the 84 only gets 0.61% per kill. I should note that that's on Test so she'd get about half that on non-FV live servers. I'm in Feerott because it's absolutely dead on Test and there are items I'm farming up for upgrades (Abstruse remnants, Guard of Tangible Thoughts, Malice belts, etc) for the lowbies as I level them up. The SK can keep most of the zone west of the river clear by herself. I bring the rogue to speed things up and to carry stuff. But if I need to drop her to speed things along, I can do that. The goal is to level the lowbie, whoever that might be.

I've tried swarming lower level areas (like Loping Plains) but even that sucked for XP. Being grey to the SK and having the lowbies (75s) going for level xp didn't seem to matter much at all. I may have to start passing out oil of fennin ros and do things that way. I'm in HoT because as far as upgrades are concerned, there's no point to doing content prior to it. HoT is when the minimum HME jumped for entry level gear. And except for drop rates (which are abysmal for the items I want), it's pretty easy to farm up. Can't do Grounds (crowded, at least for Test & FV) and I'm still scoping out spots where I can set up and just grind. Since I can play while at work (telecommuter), I can at times be at the same spot for days, at the keyboard.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out the level spread matrix again. Do I just take the lowbies to higher level zones and forget farming up gear at the same time? I was told about a month ago that once the characters hit 70, they can group with 100s and that that might be the way to go. I'm trying to avoid HAs because they're too popular (even on Test but especially on FV) and I like to avoid the crowds. And with the bind bugs that exist now, I can't even reliably pop in since my bind gets reset every time I try teleport bind to Gribble. Do I just go duo with the SK and the lowbie to minimize the xp split? Or just swarm greys and deal with the smaller per kill xp hoping to make up for it in volume?

Last edited:
Why is popularity an issue with HA's, since they're instanced? You worried about GM monitoring? You doing this XP AFK, I presume?

Why is popularity an issue with HA's, since they're instanced? You worried about GM monitoring? You doing this XP AFK, I presume?

No. And I'm not using active hacks either. I'd LIKE to get to the point where I could do them AFK but I'm not there yet. I guess I'm just paranoid. People don't need a reason to report someone, after all. And even though it's been years since the last time I used an active hack (2008ish? Sunderock Springs was a hot zone at the time), I have used them in the past. So I'm trying to stay as low profile as possible.

Besides that, it's a pain running six boxes to Gribble since the bind rules are all screwed up. It's a known issue, according to Dzarn, and should be fixed in the next 'major' patch.