I run the following crew on Mayong:
Bard
Mage
Wiz
Shaman
J4 Merc Tank
J4 Merc Cleric
ALL LEVEL 70

Pretty damn good combo there (good DPS, good survivability)... but after noticing the SK Macro, I was thinking about making an SK and a Cleric leveling them up this weekend since it is double exp weekend and making him the MT instead of the Merc Tank.

I want to keep my main 4, but I was wondering if running that SK Macro as MT will compare to using a J4 Merc as MT. I currently have a J4 Merc Tank and Cleric.

So my questions are:

1. How geared/AA'd out would an SK running Devs macro of similar level (say like lvl 80) need to be to be comparable to a J4 Merc.

2. If they were similar level and similar gear/AA, would the SK running the macro be a better tank for 80-85 game?

3. If I ever wanted to do Anguish or something like that, I wouldnt be able to with the Mercs, correct?

Thanks a lot.

I run the following crew on Mayong:
Bard
Mage
Wiz
Shaman
J4 Merc Tank
J4 Merc Cleric
ALL LEVEL 70

Pretty damn good combo there (good DPS, good survivability)... but after noticing the SK Macro, I was thinking about making an SK and a Cleric leveling them up this weekend since it is double exp weekend and making him the MT instead of the Merc Tank.

I want to keep my main 4, but I was wondering if running that SK Macro as MT will compare to using a J4 Merc as MT. I currently have a J4 Merc Tank and Cleric.

So my questions are:

1. How geared/AA'd out would an SK running Devs macro of similar level (say like lvl 80) need to be to be comparable to a J4 Merc.

2. If they were similar level and similar gear/AA, would the SK running the macro be a better tank for 80-85 game?

3. If I ever wanted to do Anguish or something like that, I wouldnt be able to with the Mercs, correct?

Thanks a lot.
1.no idea
2. yes, but imho you should give ModBot a try, this way you would have only 1 macro and just have .ini to configure for each class.
3. merc can't go in a raid

ya you cant do anguish w/ that grp need a real cleric. also merc > sk until he's like 3500ac/30khp

2. yes, but imho you should give ModBot a try, this way you would have only 1 macro and just have .ini to configure for each class.

Huh? Sorry, total noob to these macros. Not sure what you mean here.

Thanks amigo, I will check it out.

Can anyone tell me: If I have a j4 Merc, can I sell that to someone in game and then go get another one? Or am I only allowed one merc per toon regardless of what I do with it?

ya you cant do anguish w/ that grp need a real cleric. also merc > sk until he's like 3500ac/30khp

SK would be the way to go. I never used the top level Mercs but the ones I did see in group sucked for tanking 80+, lower levels they were decent but just didnt seem to get the job done later. Might be different with the top mercs.

Thanks amigo, I will check it out.

Can anyone tell me: If I have a j4 Merc, can I sell that to someone in game and then go get another one? Or am I only allowed one merc per toon regardless of what I do with it?

Yes, you can sell it to someone who also is unlocked for tier 4 mercs and hire another one.

So if I give them a J4 Merc and they havent done any flagging or whatever, what will it default to for them? J1?

So if I give them a J4 Merc and they havent done any flagging or whatever, what will it default to for them? J1?

It will not let you, will deny the transfer.

I'm a Warrior, also on Mayong, and while leveling up, I was often times in groups where I was just soaking exp while the tank merc did the work.

A j4 tank merc is pretty good, so as mentioned above, until you max out your defensive AAs, and hit 25-30k hp, and 3.5k AC, your merc will be better.

how did you get J4 mercs on Mayong server and are only lvl 70?
I thought the some of the progression tasks were req 80

No clue.. paid someone to do it for me.

I think they fixed it, but you used to be able to do just Warrens progression, and get T5 mercs. :)

as far as i know warrens tasks still give t5 mercs.