Disk Imaging

reformed2hacker

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on some disk ghosting software. I'm tired of having to do full installs every few months, gets old fast, as I'm sure you all know. I've looked into Norton Ghost, Drive Image, etc. I've just never done imaging before and don't know much about it.

I'd like the ability to do it over a network, and also do backups to usb drives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R2H

Ghost is easy to use, and fairly powerful stuff once you dig through it's settings.

If all you're wanting to do is revert to a given save point though, I'd say use something like Deep Freeze over a wipe/image restore.

The newer versions of Ghost are not actually the original Ghost, but rather renamed version of PowerQuest's DriveImage.

There's also the old school way of booting from a Linux CD and dd'ing the disk to a SMB or NFS share somewhere.

or another option what i use is an external hdd...after every patch i plug it in and drag/drop eq into it and overwrite it then i get a mirror copy of my game...works with all games too....i hate losing my settings and hotbuttons.with usb2 it only takes a min to transfer across.

Norton's Ghost works pretty good I have to say. I'm running a 10 PC network and due to the amount of different things I do on each one, I generally try to "reset" them once every 2 months. Ghost is great. It literally clones everything off of one HD onto another. I have one HD set up in a pc that doesn't get used for anything other than updating itself and running a Teamspeak server as well as a perm Diablo 2 game for me to play in.